VCDS - A2 1.4TDI AMF 2002 engine out - Polo 1.4TDI AMF 2002 into the A2 - What should I read off ?

dieselfan

A2OC Donor
Hi again !
Feel very good today.. since I finally got my first VCDS HEX+CAN cable free VIN... and finally can complete the engine swap.

What should I read off of information before I turn off the old engine and take it out of the car ? Should I disable the Immobilizer ?

I do not have the Polo donor car at hand but I got the ECU.

What are the smart steps to do ?

...and what should I not do ?? :)
BR
dieselfan

Last edited:
As you are changing engines 'like for like' then all your A2 engine ECU will see is a different set of engine sensors and injectors. None of these are 'coded' so I think the Polo engine swap will be plug and play

Hopefully other members will confirm my theory.

Not sure if it relates to a 2002 model year Polo engine but other members flagged up some issues with differences in oil level sensors and possibly dipsticks. Have you checked / compared these features on the new motor ?

What should you not do.................well don't blame me if it goes pear shaped

Cheers Spike

Brilliant Spike !!
Thanks for the logic replay. I really hope that is correct since it will save me a lot of work. I have no experience with the VCDS yet and I desperately need my commuter on the road asap. I finally get my oldest home from university for almost 2 months and I like to have a car available for him as a well deserved positive... (and to avoid seeing him around in an other car than an A2... :) )

Oil level sensor is on the inspection list but did not know that there are two different types so I will use the old one from the A2 to avoid problems since this one was working fine... and I will do a full "sump off" anyway :)

I'm with Spike. There's no need to be messing around with the ECUs, etc. The A2's ECU will run the Polo engine without issue, so stick with what you've got. No immobiliser problems, etc.

Be aware that not all Polo engines have the hole in the sump for the oil level sensor. I seem to remember there being another physical difference that must also be conquered, but I can't recall what it is.

Cheers,

Tom

spike and timmus - I am very thankful for your help !!!

I will get home tomorrow so what you have shared gives me the best possible start.
The mechanical interfaces do not scare me that all but the magic atmosphere innside the world of ECU etc does....

I will swap the sump, let the oil level sensor stay and solve two problems in one :)
The gearbox-side engine mount is different on the Polo but the right holes are drilled though not threaded but that is a joy fix for me :)
Dipstick will be converted and oil level/dipstick calibration will be performed with the right amount of oil in the sump.
Oil fill will be swaped too, to avoid any clash.
Though very sad to not have a MYP gearbox to put in at this stage. The cheapest I have found over here is equal to 1050£ and has high milage on..

While getting the engine in position I will also take the opportunity to check the downpipe jig I have made so I can be able to check the shape of downpipes I make.

Again, may thanks for your brilliant help :) :)

BR dieselfan

Back