VCDS problem when changing coding on 2015 Polo

steve_c

Grumpy OAP & A2OC Donor
I've been trying to help a young member here with VCDS, but without any joy thus far. He's wanting to enable rear camera display on the screen of his 2015 Polo, but without success.

My contribution is pretty much limited to supplying the laptop, Ross-Tech cable, and VCDS software. I've wound my software back to version 16.8.2 to match this video -

but of course life is not that straightforward, and the coding change gets rejected.

This is not an A2 issue, but if anyone with greater VCDS expertise than I possess has any suggestions, they would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
He does already have the correct camera installed and connected up? Will probably reject code changes unless it detects the correct hardware first. Video looks straight forward so I suspect its a camera issue. May need a camera controller installed. Is the head unit compatible with rear view camera?

He does already have the correct camera installed and connected up? Will probably reject code changes unless it detects the correct hardware first. Video looks straight forward so I suspect its a camera issue. May need a camera controller installed. Is the head unit compatible with rear view camera?

I don't have too much in the way of specifics, so I'm hoping that Sam introduces himself and joins this discussion

Not all multimedia units support RVC. If it supports, coding is accepted even without RVC connected and it displays a black screen when in reverse gear.

but of course life is not that straightforward, and the coding change gets rejected.

Evening Steph,

Is the head unit compatible with rear view camera?
Not all multimedia units support RVC. If it supports, coding is accepted even without RVC connected.
Both Graham and MTL are spot on here. If the RVC is the correct part which I understand it to be then it will no doubt be the lack of RVC functionality of the head unit.

As you have already scanned the vehicle, would you (or Sam) be willing to post/share (code in) the VCDS scan report so we can investigate the head unit part number along with its current coding.

There might be a simple hardware/soft coding reason why it’s not worked from following the helpful process you followed.

Kind regards,

Tom

Both Graham and MTL are spot on here. If the RVC is the correct part which I understand it to be then it will no doubt be the lack of RVC functionality of the head unit.

As you have already scanned the vehicle, would you (or Sam) be willing to post/share (code in) the VCDS scan report so we can investigate the head unit part number along with its current coding.

Unfortunately I only scanned the vehicle when I was running the latest version of VCDS, and that left a lot to be desired in terms of information on the current coding. I noted however that Sam doesn't have any navigation function from his head unit, and I certainly wondered whether or not the head unit actually had the capacity to display a RVC output.

Here's the essential bit of the full scan:

"Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels:| 5G0-035-MIB-STD2.clb

Part No SW: 3Q0 035 842 B HW: 3Q0 035 842 B

Component: MU-S-D-ER H30 0361

Serial number: VWZAZ2T1094896

Coding: 02620000BE00000051111101008808001F0103C60120010001

Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00000

ASAM Dataset: EV_MUStd4CTSAT 001022

ROD: EV_MUStd4CTSAT_VW26.rod

VCID: 2C568619472C8CEDCF-8078

Display and control head 1 for information electronics:

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 6C0 919 603 HW: 6C0 919 603

Component: ABTm_Std2 H43 1028

Serial number: VWZ8Z9RH002PTC"

Sam of course has the eternal optimism of youth!

Hello again Steph,

Have a look at this post from the Ross-Tech forum, particularly Post #4 where it mentions the 6C RVC Module. I don’t see you display this in your previous post, was this module installed as part of the retrofit or just the camera somehow connected to the head unit.

Does the vehicle already have parking sensors fitted as I understand the modules involved work in harmony of each other.

This is what I’d expect to also see as part of the scan report:

Code:
Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels:| 5G0-035-MIB-STD2.clb

Part No SW: 3Q0 035 874 C HW: 3Q0 035 874 C

Component: MU-S-ND-ER H41 0449

Serial number: VWZAZ2T1401303

Coding: 02731001FF0000005111010100880A001F0503E601200000CF

Address 6C: Back-up Cam. (J772) Labels:| 5Q0-980-556.clb

Part No SW: 5Q0 980 568 B HW: 5Q0 980 568 B

Component: RVC Compact+ H08 0250

Coding: 0173020163002017000048
Point to note, everything I’ve read so far relates to the revision C head unit and not the B, but reading this helpful link suggests that the revision A, B and C can have RVC activated. The head unit might need to be unlocked before it will accept any form of coding. Search ‘VW MIB2 unlock’ to understand what some locked-down modules require prior to tweaking them, thank the aluminium gods that such a protective feature didn’t exist at the time of A2 production.

Kind regards,

Tom

Module 6C is for RVC high. If the camera is low, there is no separate 6C controller. And as far as I remember Polo never had a RVC high camera fitted.

Module 6C is for RVC high. If the camera is low, there is no separate 6C controller. And as far as I remember Polo never had a RVC high camera fitted.
Hi mtl,

Good to know you’ve dabbled with the newer models as my limited experience really doesn’t stretch past the A2 and certainly haven’t tinkered with the VW Polo. Hopefully you can assist Steph with the RVC query Sir.

Kind regards,

Tom

This is not an A2 issue, but if anyone with greater VCDS expertise than I possess has any suggestions, they would certainly be appreciated.
Hello again Steph,

If you don’t get anything that looks to solve this issue then it’s probably best for Sam to join a VW Polo specific community armed arm with the VCDS report where the question can be asked. I’m sure there will be plenty of members who are familiar with the decade younger platform that could provide guidance on how to complete the retrofit.

Kind regards,

Tom

If you don’t get anything that looks to solve this issue then it’s probably best for Sam to join a VW Polo specific community armed arm with the VCDS report where the question can be asked. I’m sure there will be plenty of members who are familiar with the decade younger platform that could provide guidance on how to complete the retrofit.

Thanks Tom, and everyone else who has responded here.

I think that the reason why VW owners such as Sam sign up here is very much a tribute to the A2OC, where the sharing of knowledge, skills, and access to VCDS is an essential part of the club ethos. There are no Golf or Polo owner clubs which are able to offer that level of support.

I told Sam at the outset that he would be responsible for finding the appropriate VCDS instructions, since his Polo is way too modern for me to know much about. My offer of access to VCDS on that basis remains open to him.

Thanks Tom, and everyone else who has responded here.

I think that the reason why VW owners such as Sam sign up here is very much a tribute to the A2OC, where the sharing of knowledge, skills, and access to VCDS is an essential part of the club ethos. There are no Golf or Polo owner clubs which are able to offer that level of support.

I told Sam at the outset that he would be responsible for finding the appropriate VCDS instructions, since his Polo is way too modern for me to know much about. My offer of access to VCDS on that basis remains open to him.
Hi Steph,

Very accommodating of you and agree that our memberships level of dedication to provide the best possible answer/solution is second to none. I’m sure someone who is more familiar with later VAG family models will be along soon enough.

I’ll keep searching to see if anything else obvious is out there but like you, my knowledge is just from tinkering with the A2 which doesn’t have such sophisticated protective measures in place making it much easier to retrofit modules to either the CAN or K-Line paths.

Kind regards,

Tom

So a 2015 polo is a 6c? Found this on the net but looks like you need a nav head unit although it is not crystal clear in their advert...

I am in the process of retrofitting reverse camera to an A1 but lack the time to do it. This car has nav but still needed a controller also..

Just a quick recap from my side.
The multimedia in this Polo is consistent of two units: headunit in the glove compartment (3Q0 035 874 C) and display (6C0 919 603). The lowest trim headunits were all one part. Display is irrelevant for RVC, it is just a ''dumb'' display. Headunit is the brain of the multimedia system and the coding is done on it. NOT all double part units support RVC.
Few other facts:
  • VCDS version is not a factor here. It is best to always use the newest version available. If using cheap chinese clones to code, newer the car is, higher the probability of some unwanted problems
  • video above shows coding for quite old cars, since the unit is still module 37, probably VW Passat B6. And this coding (Byte 3, BIT 6) is NOT correct for the unit in this Polo. On these 5F units, the correct coding for RVC should be Byte 19, BIT4. If this coding is not accepted, stop wasting time with research and either remove the RVC or replace the headunit with the one that supports RVC.
  • RVC.jpg

• difference between Discover Media and Composition Media is that the first has factory built navigation and as per my knowledge (not 100% sure) all Discover Media units support RVC

Last edited:
Back