VCDS won't communicate with Engine

damadgeruk

A2OC Donor
I tried doing a VCDS Auto scan on a BBY today, it read most modules as expected though wouldn't read 01-Engine, error displayed was...
Address 01: Engine Labels: 8Z0-920-xxx-17.LBL
Controller:
Note: Can't Synch Baud Rate
Any thoughts? Surprisingly no faults in HVAC and only expected faults elsewhere though car is showing EML, hence the scan.

I tried doing a VCDS Auto scan on a BBY today, it read most modules as expected though wouldn't read 01-Engine, error displayed was...
Address 01: Engine Labels: 8Z0-920-xxx-17.LBL
Controller:
Note: Can't Synch Baud Rate
Any thoughts? Surprisingly no faults in HVAC and only expected faults elsewhere though car is showing EML, hence the scan.

Is it an eBay cable?

Start at Baud rate 9600 if that doesn't work, also try 4800 and 1200, remember to cycle the ignition after each baud rate change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this problem with the £5 ebay cable on the 1.4 petrol. connects to the TDI ECU each nad every time
I partial fix was done by reducing the BAUD rate in VCDS to 4800 AND locking the BAUD rate in Windows device manager for the virtual com port to the SAME VALUE
Doing this and it would connect about 50% of the time, i,e if it failed on the first attemp it would nearly always connect on the 2nd attemp

I have since bought a full unlimited edition of VCDS and this conencts to any and all modules on all the A2's I've shown it too

You pays your money and takes your chance :)

PAul

Yep, the best way to look at VCDS is after your 3rd scan with lite unregistered you really want to think about getting it registered and a better cable.
2nd option is go "full fat" with either a second hand ( as now no longer available ) Hex-can 3 , 10 or preferably unlimited VIN version, or the latest Hex-net ( also needed to work on the latest VAG models ). It is strange that some cars are more temperamental with VCDS. Perhaps the missing file for the FSI may be playing a part?

I think it's incorrect, and ,maybe, miss-leading, to refer to "missing files" in VCDS.
There are, as far as I know, no missing files. It's just that the description label that VCDS attaches to some error codes are generic, not model specific. The actual code is correct, and is all that is returned from the OBD port. VCDS adds the label, using a "library" that is model specific, and not always complete, hence generic labels. The actual code is correct, and should be used in conjunction with the RossTech WiKi.
Using the correct driver (CH340, from a reliable source), and installing it before connecting the lead for the first time is important. It's, in my experience, a good idea, if you're having problems, to delete the driver and the device (lead), and start again. The ebay leads, will be seen by the pc as USB devices, unless the correct serial driver is already installed before the cable is first plugged in.
Of all code readers, VCDS is, by far, the most complete, and uses the least number of generic labels.
For goodness sake, please let's not start spreading false doubts about VCDS (not to mention FSIs).
Mac.

I have unregistered lite, and this connects to engine all day long. However I have a similar issue when I want to scan the hvac module. It will make several attempts to connect and show the module type and number eventually, but will not get any further and times out.
Any ideas, or is it just cause its unregistered version?

I have unregistered lite, and this connects to engine all day long. However I have a similar issue when I want to scan the hvac module. It will make several attempts to connect and show the module type and number eventually, but will not get any further and times out.
Any ideas, or is it just cause its unregistered version?
Same with my registered lite.

Thank you, yes, it's an eBay cable purchased in 2007ish and plays nicely with all the TDIs. Read at 9600. It's been a while since I spent any time adjusting VCDS(it is registered lite). EGR error showing though all else clear(even HVAC).

Back