Very dodgy gearshifting

allypug

A2OC Donor
Hi all, sooo... for a while now my gearshifting has been getting worse, especially between 3rd and 4th it doesn't want to slot in, have to go back down or up a gear with clutch pedal still down before it eventually goes in. I suspect the selector shaft on top of the gearbox.. just had a wiggle of it and I guess there shouldn't be any lateral movement of this vertical shaft? mine has! see pic (not mine but I've arrowed the movement it has)
A2selector.jpg

Hi all, sooo... for a while now my gearshifting has been getting worse, especially between 3rd and 4th it doesn't want to slot in, have to go back down or up a gear with clutch pedal still down before it eventually goes in. I suspect the selector shaft on top of the gearbox.. just had a wiggle of it and I guess there shouldn't be any lateral movement of this vertical shaft? mine has! see pic (not mine but I've arrowed the movement it has)
View attachment 80593

Is yours a petrol?

I’ve been having similar issues

Gear selection problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is yours a petrol?

I’ve been having similar issues

Gear selection problems

Diesel, but I would think the selectors are the same

I have the same problem, my tame mechanic said it was most likely the tower bearing that needed replacing. But when he checked it was out of stock on TPS. So I am limping on with the 'double cluting'

It couldn't be something daft like the two bolts that hold the selector to the top of the gearbox coming loose so the whole thing can waggle instead of the shaft being rotated / lowered / lifted by the selector cables?

That being said, my 287k project car's gearbox was always a bit loose and crunchy going into third, finally died in the early New Year when I couldn't change up from 2nd without any previous warning that something was about to change. I could still rotate the selector (1st to 2nd), and find reverse, but couldn't push the selector down into the box to find the plane of 3rd / 4th or beyond, there was just something solid in the way.

It's a pity that there isn't a definitive thread on this topic? I'll bet that there are countless members with gear-change problems! Well I'm one, that's for sure! It's just not possible to go directly from 5th gear down to 4th! I've purchased a new tower quite some time ago but it needs to be modified because I have a six-speed gearbox. I'll eventually get round to doing it and it will be an absolute joy to be able to select any gear smoothly!

David

Have you tried re-calibrating / reset the gear linkage cables between the gearstick and selector you’ve pictured? Had the exact same issue with mine, reset the cables and it’s a sweet as a nut now.

Reactions: fhl
Have you tried re-calibrating / reset the gear linkage cables between the gearstick and selector you’ve pictured?

Yes, I have done that ..... Thanks for the suggestion, though. I think that I've featured in a thread about this? I'll turn it up by looking through my content .... Here it is : https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/sloppy-gear-change-mechanism.44219/post-410331

David

I have recently done this repair on the last two tdi's I have had, and just about to do the third one, it will transform the gear change x1000

You need to remove the gear tower and replace the bearings in the top of the tower, and then replace the top oil seal too. Reasonably straight forward job on the bench, I have had to dremmel the bearing housings out on them though, they can be stubborn little blighters!
Part numbers required are 02A 311 648C and 02A 301 227M. They come in under £20, and believe me, your gearbox will feel like a brand new one once you've done them...fact!
Keep me updated as to how you get on.
Andy

Have you tried re-calibrating / reset the gear linkage cables between the gearstick and selector you’ve pictured? Had the exact same issue with mine, reset the cables and it’s a sweet as a nut now.

No I haven't, my main concern was the lateral play in the shaft.. which I guess means the bearings are knackered

I have recently done this repair on the last two tdi's I have had, and just about to do the third one, it will transform the gear change x1000

You need to remove the gear tower and replace the bearings in the top of the tower, and then replace the top oil seal too. Reasonably straight forward job on the bench, I have had to dremmel the bearing housings out on them though, they can be stubborn little blighters!
Part numbers required are 02A 311 648C and 02A 301 227M. They come in under £20, and believe me, your gearbox will feel like a brand new one once you've done them...fact!
Andy
Hi Andy,
I've got a complete tower, 02R301230M and cup, 02J301256, ready to fit. From what you're saying I didn't need to purchase them, just the bearings? Oh well, let's see what happens when I (finally) get round to fitting those parts .... It would be good to see you again if you could lend a hand. :)

David

@DJ 190 As long as the six speed selector tower is in good condition then a bearings only swap is all that is required without further modification. Give the new bearings some assembly fluid when you fit them. As stated above by @Clackers replace the oil seal and replace the gearbox oil. Check the near side bonnet collector and its nozzle are correctly located to help slow the water flow onto the selector tower.

Andy

Andy, do you know if these will work on petrol engined gearboxs as well?

@DJ 190 As long as the six speed selector tower is in good condition then a bearings only swap is all that is required without further modification. Give the new bearings some assembly fluid when you fit them. As stated above by @Clackers replace the oil seal and replace the gearbox oil. Check the near side bonnet collector and its nozzle are correctly located to help slow the water flow onto the selector tower.
Thank you for your response and it's appreciated. As I've said, I do have a complete tower and cup, new. I seem to recall that it is of a superior design to the original. I ask if you think there would be no advantage to fitting it? I assume that it has new bearings as part of it? Is that correct?( or are we talking about something else?) I have no problem in putting those components to one side and going along with what's been advised. (That's replacing the bearings, oil-seal and gearbox oil.) So I'll respect your opinion and take it from there. I've managed with a defective gear-change for quite some time!

David

As you said the new tower would need modifying for 6th. So it is your choice to either reuse the existing modified ( fitted ) tower with new bearings etc, or to modify the new tower and fit that with its bearings. Difficult to advise which way to go. MY opinion would be to use your existing modified tower with the new bearings etc. The new one you have purchased could then either be offered for sale or kept as a spare to be modified when needed.
When you say superior design, what is better? If there really is something significantly better than original that MAY swing it to modify and fit.

As you said the new tower would need modifying for 6th. So it is your choice to either reuse the existing modified ( fitted ) tower with new bearings etc, or to modify the new tower and fit that with its bearings. Difficult to advise which way to go. MY opinion would be to use your existing modified tower with the new bearings etc. The new one you have purchased could then either be offered for sale or kept as a spare to be modified when needed.
When you say superior design, what is better? If there really is something significantly better than original that MAY swing it to modify and fit.
Here's the thread that sang the praises of the latest tower (and I think that it's now the only version that can be purchased) I think that there's less chance of water ingress and a better change action. https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...ince-august-last-year-but-now-a-member.35948/. It only takes the slightest mention/recommendation for me to be purchasing something. However, in this instance, my gearchange WAS poor and defective before I'd read that thread! :) So the replacement bearings that have been talked about ARE an integral part of the tower that I have purchased? Do I need the oil-seal?
If you have a chance to read the thread above, please let me have your thoughts on which route to take? I'm sure that I'll be able to modify the tower to allow for the 6th gear position/location ....

David

David you will have to carefully check the new tower to see exactly what it came with. Not got access to the parts cat at the moment but would expect at least the bearings to be included ( who in their right mind would replace the shaft with the old bearings ) Improved oil seal always a good idea, but think how long the current one lasted. Progress does tend to make things a bit better as original parts are no longer produced. At least you will have a complete tower to drop in if you modify the new one rather than perhaps struggle to swap bearings on the existing possibly causing it damage in the process.
When did the existing shaft get modified for 6th and did you do it?

When did the existing shaft get modified for 6th and did you do it?
It was done by "Stealth Racing" but from what I gather it was a much simpler mod. (because it's the earlier tower). With the help of this Forum, who had suggested that I observed the movement of my existing tower when selecting each gear, it became clear that another slot needed to cut in the tower structure. I've got all the gear to do that and it shouldn't be a problem. It's about time I got this done! Now if the general opinion was to just change the bearings, then I'd have gone along with that ..... The new tower IS here, waiting to be used. I could always toss a coin? :D

David

It was done by "Stealth Racing" but from what I gather it was a much simpler mod. (because it's the earlier tower). With the help of this Forum, who had suggested that I observed the movement of my existing tower when selecting each gear, it became clear that another slot needed to cut in the tower structure. I've got all the gear to do that and it shouldn't be a problem. It's about time I got this done! Now if the general opinion was to just change the bearings, then I'd have gone along with that ..... The new tower IS here, waiting to be used. I could always toss a coin? :D

David
One of the main things to bear into consideration is that the rest of your 'new' tower will also be new. I am guessing that you have the fine spring included in the kit? These tend to rust over time and therefore if you are intending keeping your car for the foreseeable, I would exchange the new tower...but, if you want to practise on your old tower, for the sake of £20 ish, you can always learn from doing that one, then replace for the new one once you are happy with your modification.
It is highly advised to replace the oil seal, as over time, the shaft will have worn the seal significantly, thus meaning it will allow water in, rather a pointless exercise changing the bearings if you just put the worn seal back on(that is my thought anyway!)

Back