Very Red!

Sniper

As posted on my intro thread, I've now got myself an A2. A red 1.4 petrol with red leather interior with electric lumbar adjustment and several other desirable extras, double din stereo, DIS, rear cup holder, false boot floor, rear power socket. It has OSS but it is broken so that's one long term job.

The red paint hasn't succumbed to too much lacquer peel yet, only a small bit on the back bumper, just a few scuffs to sort. Wheels will need a refurb as they're quite badly scuffed.

I was originally looking for a TDi but this came up locally and as all my driving is short town driving the petrol will be OK.

I'll probably have loads of questions once I start going through it.

Cheers

Mike.

20210116_141634.jpg
20210116_141622.jpg
20210116_141704.jpg
20210116_141717.jpg

That's a good looking A2! You chose well! The roof can be fixed by a club member at a very reasonable cost .... It's all on the Forum.

David

?Glad someone on here has bought that, bit of a bargain ir you like red, with all it's extras, I would have been tempted had it been closer.
Hope it proves to be a good car for you.
PS, don't suppose you want to sell the rear cup holder do you ??

First job to start off was an oil change and service. I suspect it needs a rocket gasket and definitely needs a dipstick as it's been broken off short.

Red isn’t the only colour to suffer lacquer peel. My black car has it on the bonnet quite badly so that’s on the ‘to do’ (well - get done) list as I intend to keep mine for a long time yet!

Got a load of work done last week including cam belt and water pump change including all filters (pollen, fuel, air and oil) new rear brake shoes and drums, oil cap seal, washer jets sorted, rear spring cups and rubbers, cv gaiter, broken/bad wiring from the break pads sorted - so no more irritating icon in the middle of the screen - so paint aside, (given that I have removed the 17’’ QT wheels, put on a set of properly refurbished 16’’ 6 spoke wheels with new tyres all round) fingers crossed it should be ok for a while.

When I went out to it earlier with the snow still on the roof and bonnet it reminded me a bit of an Orca!

Didn't know about that, I've ordered one from Ebay. I see you like red ones as well!

If it’s the normal breakage of the plastic end on the dipstick then I can provide a replacement then you glue on with super glue
I designed this part some 5 years ago for my own A2 as the Audi one seems to break when you look at it, plastic will have gone brittle over time and not helped by it living in cold then hot then cold oil
The ones I print have proven to be very reliable the one on my own A2 is the same one I fitted some 5 years ago and is still perfect

£5 plus £1 postage if you want one

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it's had a couple of months use and nothing drastic to report, just had a couple of front tyres fitted and had a quick look with the wheels off and there seems to be a few new bits under there so that's all good.

There was a mis-fire about 1600-1800rpm when I first drove it but a change of plugs and leads and a bit of use and it's all but disappeared, just a slight stumble occasionally.

Sadly the paintwork seems worse than I first thought, almost every panel has some scuffs or small bits of lacquer peel, inevitable with red but it does make a decent car look a bit too shabby.
Ideally it could do with a full repeat but I cant justify that, I'll have to come up with a plan for tidying it up a bit.

Well it's had a couple of months use and nothing drastic to report, just had a couple of front tyres fitted and had a quick look with the wheels off and there seems to be a few new bits under there so that's all good.

There was a mis-fire about 1600-1800rpm when I first drove it but a change of plugs and leads and a bit of use and it's all but disappeared, just a slight stumble occasionally.

Sadly the paintwork seems worse than I first thought, almost every panel has some scuffs or small bits of lacquer peel, inevitable with red but it does make a decent car look a bit too shabby.
Ideally it could do with a full repeat but I cant justify that, I'll have to come up with a plan for tidying it up a bit.
I feel your pain with the red, I have the same red 1.4 petrol and I have lacquer peel on a few panels ect, I will have a full respray when I can afford the big outlay but for now I will be doing some home DIY and hope for the best.

From the year I'm assuming it's an AUA engine? On ours (180-odd thousand miles at the time) apart from cleaning / replacing a really mucky throttle body and failed EGR, and a fitting a set of refurbished injectors (as well as new leads and plugs), the biggest improvement in running (especially part throttle at around 16-1800rpm) was replacing the coil pack with a new Bosch one - the originals usually eventually succumb to heat damage which results in the casing underside and the potting compound on the back of the coil pack cracking and allowing occasional arcing to the block. Easy job to replace, and worth buying an authentic Bosch one - an Amazon overnight delivery one failed half an hour after being fitted (but at least ran better in that time than the car ever had in our ownership) and was refunded, replaced 3 days later by the Bosch. Huge improvement.

Yes, that was my thinking, a replacement coil pack is next in the list.

Another job on the list is a wheel refurb as the previous owner has got them pretty badly chewed up on the kerb.

Yes, that was my thinking, a replacement coil pack is next in the list.

Another job on the list is a wheel refurb as the previous owner has got them pretty badly chewed up on the kerb.
Are you going to do a home refurb of the wheels? I'm in the process of doing a set of 17" wheels to upgrade from my 16" SE wheels, well worth the time and effort for the big saving on paying a company to do it for you.

I think so, around here it's about £50-60 per wheel, not extortionate but money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Even if I just lash some paint on so I dont look like a complete savage with my parking!

I think so, around here it's about £50-60 per wheel, not extortionate but money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Even if I just lash some paint on so I dont look like a complete savage with my parking!
It's not as tuff a job as people think, i've so far sanded down and smoothed all curb rash ect, on a more difficult wheel that has been coated before over original paint I will use some stripper to help but then it's just primer, paint and lacquer to finish, just a matter of taking your time to do it right and the results can be near enough perfect for may be £50 spent in total.

Thought I'd do a bit of an update.

Only needed a front spring for the MOT last year, and a CV joint when it started clicking and clonking on full lock, other than that just been using it.

Not got round to doing the wheels but have swapped both the rear wings for better ones, I have a pair for the front also. Should get rid of some of the worst bits of lacquer peel and parking scuffs from previous owners.

Thought I'd do a bit of an update.

Only needed a front spring for the MOT last year, and a CV joint when it started clicking and clonking on full lock, other than that just been using it.

Not got round to doing the wheels but have swapped both the rear wings for better ones, I have a pair for the front also. Should get rid of some of the worst bits of lacquer peel and parking scuffs from previous owners.
Hi Sniper

Hello from an Ipswich a2 owner. I've not seen your red one around yet. It looks lovely in a great spec.
THere is another dark grey one i see all the time.
Do you use VW Audi workshop on woodbridge road? I've found them knowledgable and good for a sensible MOT.

Hi Justin

Pictures flatter it to be honest, most panels have some marks or scratches and all 4 wings had chunks out of them, front bumper has also seen some action!

I don't actually use it much, I have seen a couple of others, think I've seen the grey one you mention as well as a silver one, not many others though.

I have a tame (well mostly!) MOT man in the village where my parents live who I've used for years but I did used to go into the VW/AUDI shop across the road back when I had a Beetle years ago.

Cheers

Mike.

Back