Viewing behind rear bumper without removal?

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Is it possible to view behind the rear bumper without removing it. i.e. by releasing the screws on the rear under tray and then peering into the rear of the bumper?

I need to check that my rear parking sensors have been installed correctly; they must be fitted to a particular orientation.

You'd be better off removing the matt black plastic strip between the boot rubber and the aluminium trim strip, where you can then see the PDC sensors. From underneath, you'd struggle to see past the crash bar.

No screws to remove by going in from the top too.

Is it possible to view behind the rear bumper without removing it. i.e. by releasing the screws on the rear under tray and then peering into the rear of the bumper?

I need to check that my rear parking sensors have been installed correctly; they must be fitted to a particular orientation.

That could be a good excuse to buy a borescope . (If the wife reads this I mean reason, not excuse)
Any recommendations from club members who have invested in one

Cheers Spike

I bought a Potensic borescope from Amazon which links to my android phone. Seems to work well. Has an integral light and some tools that can be used to fish for small items.

Many thanks guys for a very fast response, especially Skipton. I will try just removing item 11 before buying a borescope .

You're welcome Alan.

http://www.firstchoicebumpers.com/P...-A2-REAR-BUMPER-UPPER-TAILGATE-TRIM-8Z0807443

This shows the aluminium trim piece in isolation - you see those notches? Well there's a little plastic tab from the matt plastic panel (item 11) that catches into the notch. If you press down on the matt plastic part with your thumb, near to the rubber seal, you'll expose the top of the plastic tab, which you need to press backwards (so toward the rubber seal) with a flat blade screwdriver, then lever each section upwards and out of the notch.
Do this for all the tabs (I think it's 7 off the top of my head) and then the matt plastic trim just pops out from the rubber seal and at each end.

You'll then see the sensors below and can probably get a finger or two in to tweak alignment if need be.

I've removed the trim and was just about able to see the nearside and offside sensors. All sensors are between 5 and 7 o'clock orientation (manual says 6 o'clock). I'm now awaiting a reply from Vodafone Automotive (who make the Cobra brand) if this is acceptable.

If you undo the screws that were revealed by taking the matt plastic piece off, you may well find that you can move the bumper out of the way enough to get a hand in there, to adjust if the bonding system allows this.

Fairly easy to get access isn't it?

Hi Skipton. Yes, quite easy access. I did think about removing those screws but wondered if it would achieve much as I thought that I would still need to release the bumper at the sides. I also was a bit nervous about dropping the screws into the void! I know I could get them by dropping the undertray but my back is playing up (has been for 3 weeks) and I decided not to tempt fate!

But if Vodafone Automotive say they need to be spot on at 6 o'clock it may be worth a try but as you say they are bonded into position so may need to be prised off and new adhesive pads provided.

Back