Volunteers wanted (with broken handbrake buttons)

HPmuirt

@Admins, I was not sure where to post this as I am not selling anything (yet) but please move as appropriate.

Hello all,

Whilst I continue to work on my design for a billet handbrake button I designed and 3D printed a temporary one (probably in the wrong material) which only lasted a couple of uses. I know, I should have bought one from Paul (Mr Depronman) in the first place but you live and learn!

So I have now designed a fix for the failure that I have experienced on both the factory button (which itself is a replacement as the original one broke a few years ago) and the 3D printed replacement, which is that the rear side walls that hold the button on to the T-shaped plastic arm snap off, allowing the button to shoot forward and disappear under the front passenger seat as you pull away from the lights!....sound familiar or just me?

Since my original broken button is with a machinist friend, I have applied the fix to my 3D printed button and so far it is working well, but the car is not in daily use. Paul has very kindly machined a few more repair pieces and so we therefore want a volunteer or two to test whether this is a viable solution. The alternative is to order one from Audi Tradition and somehow get it shipped to the UK, but as far as I can see, they do not offer the aluminium ones, just black plastic ones.

Our fix can also be applied to buttons which have not (yet) broken to hopefully prevent future failure of the old and thin plastic sides, but this would mean making a minor modification to the T-shaped arm (possible in situ but may require some interesting body positioning for access). At the moment my test is running without modifications to the button and is not even epoxied in place, but I have designed a version which can be permanently attached if required, depending on feedback.

So, my questions are: -
  • Is this of any use to anyone or is it just my car that eats handbrake buttons?
  • Would anyone like to trial the design on either a broken or non-broken (with modifications) button?
  • If testing goes well and a batch were made, would anyone consider buying it (as either a fix or for preventative purposes) or is this problem unique to me?
  • Have I missed anything Paul?
Cheers
Simon

Thanks chaps, I'll PM you for addresses and details once the next two pieces are finished and ready to post.

Cheers
Simon

What about this?

75e1a88981a79ea4515c3ab0b1a465f9.jpg

Sent from the future

That is exactly what I am trying to repair.

The thin rear sides snap allowing the spring to shoot the button forward out of the handbrake and in my case, usually under the passenger side front seat, rendering the handbrake inoperable - not great at junctions, particularly when my 17 year old son is trying to learn to drive.

My fix is very simple, but not as cheap to make as buying a new button from Audi Tradition due to the intricate machining required. The 2 problems with the Audi Tradition route are shipping to the UK (in the short-term at least) and the fact that their button is just black plastic, not covered in aluminium. I also believe that my solution can also be used on yet-to-be-broken buttons, with a little modification to the handbrake arm.

Once we have some feedback from the test volunteers, I will update the thread.

Cheers
Simon

P.S. Why did Audi paint the aluminium covered button silver? What is wrong with polished aluminium as a colour? - particularly in a car made from..... aluminium!

Sent from the present

That is exactly what I am trying to repair.

The thin rear sides snap allowing the spring to shoot the button forward out of the handbrake and in my case, usually under the passenger side front seat, rendering the handbrake inoperable - not great at junctions, particularly when my 17 year old son is trying to learn to drive.

My fix is very simple, but not as cheap to make as buying a new button from Audi Tradition due to the intricate machining required. The 2 problems with the Audi Tradition route are shipping to the UK (in the short-term at least) and the fact that their button is just black plastic, not covered in aluminium. I also believe that my solution can also be used on yet-to-be-broken buttons, with a little modification to the handbrake arm.

Once we have some feedback from the test volunteers, I will update the thread.

Cheers
Simon

P.S. Why did Audi paint the aluminium covered button silver? What is wrong with polished aluminium as a colour? - particularly in a car made from..... aluminium!

Sent from the present

I don’t believe they painted it. It looks like a anodised and dyed silver colour to my eyes
Just a pity Audi didn’t go the owl may and provide a solid aluminium button

I have about 10 parts machined
I’ll get them in the post to you

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I now have a couple of test pieces machined and hand finished and I have contacted the first two volunteers by PM to send these out but have so far not had a response. If you don't want to test them, can you let me know so I can recruit the next people who responded?

I will be away for most of this week and had hoped to send them out for evaluation before I left, so it will now be delayed by a week. The good news is that mine is still working well at least but I would prefer a larger statistical group than 1.

Cheers
Simon

I now have a couple of test pieces machined and hand finished and I have contacted the first two volunteers by PM to send these out but have so far not had a response. If you don't want to test them, can you let me know so I can recruit the next people who responded?

I will be away for most of this week and had hoped to send them out for evaluation before I left, so it will now be delayed by a week. The good news is that mine is still working well at least but I would prefer a larger statistical group than 1.

Cheers
Simon

I could test for you seeing as mines broken.

Sent from the future

Hi Simon,
My handbrake button has been broken since I've had the car! If needed I'll happily help you test your new one.

Cheers,
Joe

Back