Warning light start sequence

• Thread starter Deleted member 16918
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16918

I have done this brief capture of my warning lights when starting. The steering is ok when I have revved the engine.
Any ideas?

I have done this brief capture of my warning lights when starting. The steering is ok when I have revved the engine.
Any ideas?
Hi turn the steering wheel to full left and full right and that should sort it did for me after my clutch was done :)

Hi, I still have the problem with the lights. I have changed the hub and eliminated the wheel abs sensor fault but I still have the warning light sequence and fault 00778.
I have the orange showing in the angle sensor window and the wheels have been aligned at nation tyres. The steering is now easy when before it had a tendency to go heavy, so there is progress.
any ideas?

I have checked this. I was on other posts these problems resolving spontaneously, but mine is really persistent. I am using a cheap scanner. If I have more than one fault with the same number, would the number come up more than once?

Two other things come to mind. If you drive the car a few hundred meters and then turn the steering wheel from centered to full left lock and back to full right lock and again center do the lights extinguish? The lateral sensor could also be at fault.
Once again I really do suggest people do not use generic OBDII scanners as most of the time there is no generic equivalent. Use VCDS.

When the steering was done do you know if the steering wheel was removed or have you ever removed the steering wheel..........what may of happened is the steering angle sensor is one turn out..........
I know this sounds strange but there are locating lugs on the steering angle sensor, so if the steering wheel was removed and the sensor lugs accidently moved they have moved out of sync, the sensor reads 360 degrees out in the direction of movement which throws the steering angle code, the only way to check is with VCDS using measuring blocks to check the centre position.

When the steering was done do you know if the steering wheel was removed or have you ever removed the steering wheel..........what may of happened is the steering angle sensor is one turn out..........
I know this sounds strange but there are locating lugs on the steering angle sensor, so if the steering wheel was removed and the sensor lugs accidently moved they have moved out of sync, the sensor reads 360 degrees out in the direction of movement which throws the steering angle code, the only way to check is with VCDS using measuring blocks to check the centre position.
The orange is visible, so I am guessing that this is not the problem, but I will give it some thought.

does not need to be 360 deg out, if the steering wheel is removed and put back on a few splines different and then the rack is adjusted such that the steering wheel is now straight and the car is driving in a straight line, then the angle sensor MUST be reset or adapted such that the car knows that it is traveling in a straight line. I'm not sure how many splines out would cause a problem, but I had an A2 with an horn fault and I thought it was the swibe (angle sensor) that was not passing the signal for the horn, so I get a second hand unit and fitted it. The horn still did not work, but I also had a dash like a xmas tree (though some years ago so can't recall the exact light displayed)
I replaced the original angle sensor and the lights all went away never to return (the horn turned out to be a soldering job on the circuit board near the airbag.
VCDS can adapt the angle sensor, but not the free version

hope this helps
Paul

There are marks on both the steering wheel and shaft to align the relationship but as has been said before the wheel can be removed to correct straight ahead after adjustment has been made...............sadly this is a sign of an unexperienced operator who should do some basic checks before adjustment...........such as true straight ahead, some manufacturers even have a check method or marking on the steering rack which allows a fixed reference to work from and all adjustments should be made only after this has been set and the steering wheel set and physically (not steering lock but special tool) locked "straight ahead" to this........

The A2 as none of this modern stuff, hence it is easy for some 'tyre monkey' to 'do the tracking' and make a right pigs ear of it

The A2 as none of this modern stuff, hence it is easy for some 'tyre monkey' to 'do the tracking' and make a right pigs ear of it
Tyre monkeys get very little training as to setting/adjusting tracking, they may get a basic run through but not the in depth car manufacturer specific stuff where little things like reference points and setting conditions are taught........did you know some cars need weight put on the front seats to simulate passenger weight and ride heights checking prior to any adjustments

A bloke off ebay has offered to reset the steering angle sensor for £20. The only code I can find is 00778. Are there likely to be any problems?

He SHOULD do a full scan first before adapting the sensor. This will flag up any other issues. Stored codes could be old and rectified or current. He may be able to give you a print or send you the scan as a record. Good practice is to only clear fault codes once they have been rectified, but clearing all stored codes will give a more accurate state when rescanned after the steering angle sensor is reset.

Does the free version of vdcs not show measuring blocks? At what point in the sequence can it not be use to clear the steering angle sensor fault?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes measuring blocks in Lite version. Read @Andrew post above for limitations. But it generally ask / tell you to examine codes you need to upgrade, so may not be immediately helpful. If the person knows their way around the free version then could be OK. It will be a case of see what happens during the scan. In the big picture £75 for a registered functioning version is not much to pay. A garage scan can easily cost the same depending where you take the car. Then you can scan without restrictions on as many VAG cars as you want.

So I visited the ebay man lots of readings looking good but no output for the steering angle sensor. It is kaput.

Back