Webasto heater modification

Pinkythelabrat

A2OC Donor
So, not strictly related to my A2 but it's 'weird project suggestion' time again!

Webasto can retrofit the auxiliary heaters in cars to produce a parking heater. This seems to primarily involve using the existing Webasto, adding additional controls and timers and creating an island circuit for the heat exchanger to warm the interior as well as the engine.

My thought is to take a Webasto from a poor Audi A2, add a small diesel container and an inline fuel pump and presumably some control mechanism and thermostat and use it to heat a campervan.

I'm thinking it would be externally mounted or at least externally vented.

Thoughts please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting idea I must say, but Webasto from A2 has only 5kW output,
Do you think it will be enough? What is the size of the camper, square
Meters and qubic meters? I don't mean to spoil your idea, I just think it needs
More research.

Regards,

Boris

5kw! My God! I was expecting 500watts max! That would roast the occupants alive! That's the output of a big coal fire!

The van interior is about 6m2 it's a teeny one. I've felt a 2kw fan heater in a similar space and it had to be turned off regularly. I think 5kw should be plenty! :)

Glad I was wrong.
I found 5kW data on my own car, but thinking it's a tiny space and a tiny engine
to heat up, so I had to raise a question.

Good luck!

Boris

Webasto heaters are regularly used in the way you describe. They've been installed as cab heaters in lorries, as central heating in canal boats, caravans, campervans, garages, etc. Many people would think we had a 'modified Webasto' if they heard we used them to warm our engines!

Cheers,

Tom

Anyone got a bracket and loom for sale?

Looking at the design apparently the fuel feed is by a dosing pump which must determine the flow and thus heat. I would assume that this is on the tube from the fuel tank.

Anyone got the full kit and kaboodle including any secondary pump?

Oh, and the little Webasto plate from the front too.

Failing this I can make a pool heater for my daughters paddling pool.

Hello all,

Just bumping this a little.

I've found a diagram of the necessary bits and some YouTube searching shows how the wiring should work. I've even sourced a cheap relay based thermostatic controller so I should be able to control the output without the climate control system.

IMG_8981.PNG

I have been offered the heater unit on its own (thanks Buddy) but I'm thinking without the dosing pump and at leat the connectors it won't be much use for my purposes since it won't be replacing a faulty unit. I could possibly use an alternative pump and solder in some connections but that's not ideal.

So, if anyone has a spare Webasto then please give me a chin and we can talk. Ideally as much piping and wiring as possible - the heat exchanger module would probably be useful - I guess it's a fluid to air design, right?

I've got a Webasto coming to 'play' with. No loom or anything but I'm sure I can make something work (unless someone knows a part number for the socket and has a wiring diagram?)

I've ordered a peristalsis pump to hopefully replace the fuel dosing pump arrangement. I've no idea what the flow should be for correct operation and it might be a challenge to make sure it mirrors the pumps on/off activity but I'm sure it'll be a learning experience.

I have been trying to get the Webasto heaters to talk to my laptop via the Thermotest software with no luck so far. I suspect it is the com to usb convertor and a driver issue so am borrowing an XP laptop with a com port. Work has also slowed because my shed was full of Christmas and was ssssoooooo COLD!

While on my hiatus and researching Webastos I have found a gentleman who makes replacement circuit boards for the Thermotop Z/C. These pop into the unit instead of the existing board and allow an ON/OFF command from a simple 12v/no 12v instead of CANBUS and can also control a circulation pump and pups be connected to blower fans. A telestart switch fob, an interior control switch and a circulation pump = remote parking heater.

The ECU is about £110. Pumps vary but about £50 used. Telestart can be as expensive as you want but cheap ones with low range are from about £30. A timer or thermostat mod would be a few quid as well...

Tempting... ?

Do you think your Gentleman would be able to replace the Temp. sensor on the circuit board, i have two boards and both temp sensors have failed causing the heater not to cut in.

Do you think your Gentleman would be able to replace the Temp. sensor on the circuit board, i have two boards and both temp sensors have failed causing the heater not to cut in.

Hmmm. I’m not sure. He’s in Hungary. ?

Seemed pretty knowledgable and happy to help (in English). If you go to eBay and search for user - ‘onlywithpaypal’

I did see an eBay postal repair advert for Webastos I’m sure but I think it was £300! Maybe worth a look to see if there are other options.

Alternatively I’ve got a Webasto here I would potentially be taking the circuit board out of but I’ve not managed to test it for function yet. I bought it as working but can’t check... ?

Ah not very practical to send it to him then. if you decide to you don't need the circuit board i'll have it.

I have been trying to get the Webasto heaters to talk to my laptop via the Thermotest software with no luck so far. I suspect it is the com to usb convertor and a driver issue so am borrowing an XP laptop with a com port. Work has also slowed because my shed was full of Christmas and was ssssoooooo COLD!

While on my hiatus and researching Webastos I have found a gentleman who makes replacement circuit boards for the Thermotop Z/C. These pop into the unit instead of the existing board and allow an ON/OFF command from a simple 12v/no 12v instead of CANBUS and can also control a circulation pump and pups be connected to blower fans. A telestart switch fob, an interior control switch and a circulation pump = remote parking heater.

The ECU is about £110. Pumps vary but about £50 used. Telestart can be as expensive as you want but cheap ones with low range are from about £30. A timer or thermostat mod would be a few quid as well...

Tempting... ?
Audi A2 webasto is so called Analog version not CANbus so can be switched on by shorting pin3 (on 6 pin webasto plug) to earth and it should start.

Back