Webasto Remote Heater

willow77

Hi,

Just thought to share my experience, not sure if anyone else has had similar.

Car:
1.4 TDI 2001

Added Webasto remote heater in 2011. This winter it wasn't working, the fan was working but no heat coming through. I could not hear the fuel being pumped in as before, or the whirring of the heater.

After a consultation with local VW dealer, and VAG Com, they said it was a glow plug in the heater unit. So that was done today....and now 400€ lighter, i can hear the fuel pump, and whirring, but still there is no hot air coming out.

These were the parts used:
4B0261199 - Packning (Swedish)
7L0963319A - Glödstift (Swedish)

I am keen to get this fixed....i don't mind being 400€ lighter, but with nothing to show :(

They also said there was a sporadic fault code to do with the air intake regulator for the diesel not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Anyone?

Hi Willow77,

Replacing the glow plug has had varing results for me.

I have repaired 4 units, one was an electronic fault but the other 3 all had the same glow plug issue as yours, and I replaced the glow plug in all 3 first.
Only one of these units worked after just a glow plug (and seals) swap, and that then failed before it was time to put the heater to use.

The other 2 units needed the combustion chamber to also be replaced for them to function correctly, as the burner had failed in both.

I bought my parts directly from Audi (4E0 261 433 C - over £300 + VAT 18 months ago), however there are now some good sellers on eBay for such parts.
This is a link for the parts you may need to get your Webasto working again, if it is the burner that's failed:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Webasto-W...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3cdef12df4

If you have access to VCDS you can check for fault codes.
If there are any faults you should clear them, as too many errors will stop the burner igniting.

It is also possible to force the Webasto to fire up the burner, however I cannot remember the sequence for this at present.
If you do have access to VCDS and need instruction on forcing the Webasto to fire I'll gather this for you.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Jeff

Mine has decided not to work after working perfectly since i had the car, the instructions would be helpful if you can find them. Thankyou

Thanks Jeff & Spike.

I returned to the VW garage (no Audi where I live). Mechanic came out to look and said he thinks the fan is not drawing in any air. The webasto is making a noise, smoke is coming from the top of the unit. Fans are working inside cabin but no warm air.

He said there was a fault code for the fan but he just fixed the glow plug as that's what was on the work order. Now he says part code: 4D0261117 at €463,20 (just for part) should be replaced.

For part number 4E0261433C - €558,80 (part Jeff recommended)
The chief was not at the Garage today so I should return Monday at chat with him.

Then I drove to a local boat garage. Guy looked at this issue before (known to work on these units) who diagnosed the glow plug. He took another look and almost immediately said it was working in reverse. Air should be coming in from top and being pushed out exhaust at the bottom but it's coming out from the top. Thought it might be they did something wrong when putting it back together.

Any thoughts? Does that sound logical?

If fan was not working would it cause the 'smoke' to just leave from top by default? Instead of it working in reverse?

Could the fan be working in reverse?

If smoke is being produced then the fuel is being ignited by the glow plug and the burner is coming to life.

I can't explain why the tech decided to replace an item on the work order when, if what you suggest is correct, initial diagnosis showed the fan was at fault. I think you've got good cause to complain and have the cost of the unnecessary parts refunded. I would also be discussing a labour-free removal/re-fit if you decide to have the fan unit replaced, as this should have been done in the first place taking account of the fault codes the tech suggests were originally logged.

It's not impossible to wire the fan the wrong way round, but this would mean removing the existing pins from their connector and re-fitting incorrectly. This isn't something that would be required at any time, therefore I'd say you can discount this idea. And, even if the fan were to be wired incorrectly, the chances are it just wouldn't work.
The Fan connector cannot be placed into the controller the wrong way around

If the fan isn't working, then the fumes will exit from the top.

Did the technician provide you with a diagnostic report showing the faults present at the time you first took the car to them?
1. If yes, and it shows only a fan issue, then you can be pretty sure the fan unit has failed, and this should have been repalced.
2. If the original fault showed only a glow pin issue, and now you have a fan issue, then perhaps the tech hasn't re-connected the fan wiring to the controller, in which case they should rectify under warranty without charge.

------------------------Testing the Webasto using VCDS - ------------------

Only run the Webasto self-test on a cold engine
Only run the Webasto self-test for a short period of time without starting the engine.

Reasons for above care are due to the standard Webasto setup on the A2 not using an external pump to circulate the water through the cooling system. The A2 uses the engine-driven water pump to circulate water, therefore it is possible to boil the water in the Webasto and damage the unit.
When running in self-test mode, the Webasto's controller does NOT take notice of the water temperature.

If an external circulation pump has been fitted to allow the Webasto to pre-heat an engine, without the engine needing to be run, ensure the pump is operating.

It's useful to run the self-test without the engine as you can hear the Webasto fire and the fan speed increase or decrease depending on the duty cycle, but if you want to test for longer than 5 minutes then you should ensure the engine is running on tickover.
When the test is running, always monitor the temperature via the measuring blocks to ensure you don't cook the Webasto.
Do NOT let the temperature rise above 90°, and if it gets close with the engine running, turn the heater on full heat and full fan to help dissipate residule heat.

Before running a self-test, run the Output Test and, once complete, check again for fault codes.
If any fault codes are logged you will need to repair and clear the codes before a self-test will function correctly.

To Run the Output test select controller 18 (additional Heater)
Then select Output Test
This will test the glow plug, dosing pump and air blower (Webasto internal fan).

To run a self-test select controller 18 (additional Heater)
Then select Basic Settings
When in Basic Setting select Group 022 and press Go.
Once this has been done the Webasto will fire (if it's functioning).
Switch to measuring blocks
Measure blocks 001, 002 and 003 to see voltage, temperature, cycle phase, etc.

To cancel the self test exit all screens and close the controller. This will place the controller into a phased shutdown which can take a couple of minutes to complete. The Webasto goes into a "cool down" and "burn-off" phase, so once there is no fuel being burned and the unit is cool it will shut down.
So don't worry when you still hear the Webasto running after you've exited all VCDS screens.

While testing you may notice a lot of white fumes and a strong smell of Diesel - it is normal - don't be alarmed, but it's always good to perform this test with the bonnet removed so you can act quickly should anything untoward occur.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks for the follow up.

Just to clarify:

1st Trip to Garage indicated fault code on the Glow Plug - thus appointment made (no mention of a Fan Fault code)

After the appointment, it still wasn't heating the cabin but i could hear the fuel being pumped and a whirring from the webasto. So i went back next morning (this morning), technician came out, visually checked it. We turned webasto on, stood there for a good 10mins, he was holding the webasto (maybe feeling to see if it was getting warm?) the he said he thinks its the fan, that there was also a fault code on the fan, but only replaced glow plug as that was the work order. I sat at the garage the entire time (2 hours) so i don't know when he tested again for fault codes and why nothing was said before i left? He didn't check it when i went back, just asked me to come back when the main guy was there.

There was no Fan fault code on the 1st trip. I'll be going back on monday to get it all straightened out.

The technician said they get no training on this.

Hopefully it is #2. He failed to reconnect the fan wiring to the controller.

Last edited:
Hello everybody
I have an A2 1.4TDI AMF
Please help me with this problem, my webasto doesn't start and I try to make a diagnose but i cant connect (in the auxiliary heating measuring block). In past i do this diagnose and was ok the tester connect to the system but now ...... not. In the attached file you can see what error is it. What i have to do in this case? I search the fuse and is ok .
Please help.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20180303_141526.jpg
    20180303_141526.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 674
Webasto self-test problems with VCDS

Hey everyone. i hope somebody can help.

I have the same problem as described above about getting the self test for the auxiliary heating measuring block to work.

VCDS controller 18 do not respond! I know that the ECU has been replaced by the previous owner? Does the webasto heater need any adaptation when switching ECU? its a 1.4 TDI 2001 AMF

Old thread revival!

Does anybody know the answer to the above question, would a replacement ecu need to have the webasto function enabled or is nothing to do with engine ecu?

To activate i know it needs to 7 degrees or below but does the engine need to run (will be easier to hear fuel pump run without the tdi clatter), i think it worked last year but i have swopped ecus since then?

Yes the engine needs to be running for the Webasto to start.

Many thanks for the info!!

Just need to know if its ecu controlled but i doubt a replacement with same part number aswell wouldnt have the software if needed?

Will also see if any faults are stored too!

Have you tried to run the output tests on the Webasto?

The additional heater is cut in by the engine control unit and can be switched off by pressing the "Econ" button

• The engine control unit receives an additional heater request:

• ‒ Via the data bus system on vehicles with air conditioner (convenience data bus and drive data bus).
  • ‒ On vehicles with heater via wiring from the heater control electronics to the engine control unit (the input in the heater control electronics is switched to earth).

• The engine control unit will switch on the additional heater if the following conditions exist:
    • ‒ The operating and display unit -E87 transmits a request via the convenience data bus or the heater control electronics has switched input to earth (ECON button not pressed).
    • ‒ Engine speed is greater than 600 rpm.
    • ‒ The ambient temperature measured by the engine control unit is below 6°C (only on vehicles without air conditioner).
    • ‒ The coolant temperature is less than 70 °C (or less than 80°C at very low ambient temperatures).
    • ‒ Capacity utilisation of alternator -C is less than 60% (with electric additional heater only).

Dont have access to VCDS but can get access to a hella guttman so will try with that

Yeah econ buttons working well illuminating anyway

Would have thought it will do its, its worth £10,000! Does remote key programming with ease!

Nothing else i know of has changed

Not dissing the Hella gear, just pointing out the Audi software is almost identical to VCDS ( and a fraction of the price ).

No warning lights, no flat battery, not low on fuel? Does the Webasto try to fire but doesn't or just nothing at all? Can you hear the fuel pump run for the Webasto?

Failing that have the scan and tests done and see what faults are picked up.
If nothing has changed, lack of fuel to the Webasto or glow plug in the Webasto likely candidates.

Indeed for the money and capability.VCDS is truly awesome and a bargain in the diag kit world!!
Not for a second did i think you was dissing the hella but its a fab piece of kit but a crazy price!!

At this point all i know is its not working, thanks for the suggestions will look into it and report back, not willing to spend a lot on it thou

Back