weight of A2

dogbower

A2OC Donor
Whilst posting on another forum, recommending the A2 another member indicated that the 1.4 petrol was much lighter than the tdi and 1.6 petrol. Is this right, and whats the difference.
Stuart.

This is definitely the case. The TDI and FSI use different front springs due to the added weight of the engine.

Tom

My car's V5 says it's service weight is 1250kg. TDI with OpenSky is a heavy weight A2!

This thread makes me think - I've read a lot of threads on aero mods, but very few if any on weight saving.
From my experience of other cars, unless you're willing to strip out the interior, removing rear seats etc, it's very expensive to save a few kg with carbon fibre parts or such like.
But nevertheless it would be a fun project to read to see how light someone could get a road legal A2. :)

I've always thought the rear seats are far too heavy but it is impossible to make them light without going through the re manufacturing process of the 3L. I'd say easily 10kg can be saved without compromising luxury. I've always wanted to see what the alloy suspension components are like on the 3L. The rest is difficult, even our bonnet is very light already, I can lift the whole thing in the air with 2 fingers. May be a dry cell battery as I have factory Bose, I have the heavy diesel battery (size enough for a 2L petrol car). May need to take the British cycling team's approach, every little helps.

And for the OP, the weight difference is noticeable when you chuck the car around as it is mostly on the front. It is a bit of a bragging right though as we know the diesels gets the mpg and remap where as the FSI revs well with significantly more power. I've not driven the others hard in corners, only floored them on straights but as bragging right goes, bunch of remapped TDIs couldn't catch 2 leading 1.4 petrols on the small track at Castle Combe. When I look at my rear view mirror, I was so much faster getting through the twisty but lost ground on straights (glad it wasn't Snetterton or Silverstone), it is only bragging rights ;-)

I ran a https://www.vcheck.uk/ on two A2's (not affiliated, just a happy customer)

The 2003 1.6 FSI reports Kerb Weight 995 kg and the 2001 1.4 SE reports Kerb Weight 1380 kg (both with OSS)

I reckon these figures are taken from the V5Cs - these do not make sense nor tally up with the Audi pdf in the 2nd post of this thread showing the 1.6 FSI being heavier than the 1.4. What gives?

Last edited:
The bench rear is extremely heavy. What does the 1.2 3L weigh ?

@dan_b
Mine is imported from Germany (as the majority of A2's in Norway) and snipe below is from the official import docs and 855kg complies with several publications and press releases for the 3L version.
930kg is with a standard driver weighing 75kg
1245 kg is the maximum allowable weight of the vehicle
My car has AC and it is approved for 40kg roof load

image_2020-11-12_235505.png

I hope this full-fill your request

cheers
dieselfan

This thread makes me think - I've read a lot of threads on aero mods, but very few if any on weight saving.
From my experience of other cars, unless you're willing to strip out the interior, removing rear seats etc, it's very expensive to save a few kg with carbon fibre parts or such like.
But nevertheless it would be a fun project to read to see how light someone could get a road legal A2. :)

@Will - I have been working/are working, with weight saving on one of my 1.4TDI AMF's. I document all mods and my opinion is that quite substantial weight saving is possible. My focus is to save weight on the front axle first of all to improve weight distribution and to lower fuel consumption.
Not so sure that this work will result in a thread...

cheers
dieselfan

Leave out rear seats as we do one one a2 it’s like our van ..or it has dog crate in ..so much lighter .but by far best weight saving is healthy diet no booze or fast food ??? no seriously.. I’m 12st sally is 8.5st but if your a big lad saving a few pounds on lighter parts is a bit of nonsense ....or am I wrong ?

To remove back seats further increase the missbalanse in weight distribution between front and rear axle. Especially if your A2 is a diesel.
My goal is to improve.
My gain is to reduce weight equal to my own weight.

cheers
dieselfan

Leave out rear seats as we do one one a2 it’s like our van ..or it has dog crate in ..so much lighter .but by far best weight saving is healthy diet no booze or fast food ??? no seriously.. I’m 12st sally is 8.5st but if your a big lad saving a few pounds on lighter parts is a bit of nonsense ....or am I wrong ?
Not wrong at all there. I know a few blokes who race vintage/classic motorbikes and their attitude, when comparing means to improve performance, is to keep stick thin rather than spend hundreds of pounds on titanium levers and other parts like a lot of other competitors do.

Not wrong at all there. I know a few blokes who race vintage/classic motorbikes and their attitude, when comparing means to improve performance, is to keep stick thin rather than spend hundreds of pounds on titanium levers and other parts like a lot of other competitors do.

Or do both :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always makes me wonder how the F1 teams spend millions saving every nanogram on a vehicle, then allow the drivers to grow trendy face fur...surely they would be better asking them to be close shaven if not totally hairless like cyclists are!!!!I think the reason I have never been approached by racing team is because I like sausage butties too much...that's my reasoning anyway.

Back