What an idiot I am!

will26

I've gone and locked myself out of my car.

Short story. The battery wasn't charging so I took the car to Halfords for a free battery check. The battery was at fault and needed replacement. The alternator is fine.

I returned home and though it would be a good idea to disconnect the battery to preserve the charge.

I disconnected both the black and red leads and hey presto I can't open the doors or boot!

Does anyone have any clever ideas of how rectify it monumental error!?

I haven't told the better half yet, hoping to get it resolved before she finds out!

The drivers door should open if you turn the key in the lock.

Unless the key is still in the car 👀…

Open driver door with key, then open a rear door using inside handle, fold down a rear seat & access small plastic tab on RHS under the rear window, use key or other object to pull it away from the trimcard, then pull it up & it will release the rear hatch.

And once in the car there is an emergency boot release cord on the inside of the tailgate

J

Best I can think of is to get someone out to replace the windscreen. It's an original part and heavily scratched.

I really feel for you, so easily done. If any one knows a better solution they will be on here. Might be be worth giving Rob a call at WOM.

Best of luck.

Hmmm I don’t think I’m okay with posting publicly how to break into an A2. There’s less extreme ways then taking the windscreen out. Your breakdown cover are probably your best bet to get it sorted.

Hydro14. understand the reluctance of posting break in techniques

(Pause)... I don't have breakdown cover 🤣

Sorry but what's WOM?
A2 experts, based near to Uttoxeter (Stoke on Trent).

From other similar threads, if you do decide to break a window, go for one of the opening windows in the doors as replacing these is comparatively simple and replacement parts are readily available through the club breaker community. Don't go for the bonded-in smaller quarterlights as they are apparently a swine to remove and / or replace.

Stupid question, but how did the doors lock themselves when you were in the boot disconnecting the battery? Is there something else amiss such as the driver door microswitch, so the central locking system armed after 30 seconds "without detecting a door open" and then was fully locked once you shut the tailgate?

I am wondering if there is an approach that can be taken by removing the bonnet to be able to get a jump lead onto the starter earth on one hand and a positive terminal (starter?) enough to be able to operate the tailgate latch.

You may be able to gently move the rear windows (if not electric) down to gain some form of access -

Do you have manual or electric rear windows? I would call out a mobile locksmith but explain your keys are locked in the car first.

I have forgotten just how many times I have said to owners to have at least 2 working keys for the car.......

Stupid question, but how did the doors lock themselves when you were in the boot disconnecting the battery? Is there something else amiss such as the driver door microswitch, so the central locking system armed after 30 seconds "without detecting a door open" and then was fully locked once you shut the tailgate?

I am wondering if there is an approach that can be taken by removing the bonnet to be able to get a jump lead onto the starter earth on one hand and a positive terminal (starter?) enough to be able to operate the tailgate latch.
Good thought, if the cars locked thou I don't think that would work but nothing to lose!

That will not work. Either needs the car unlocked first or the centre button on remote pressing to open the tailgate.

Not many option without the key. Force down manual rear window with a chance you break the winder mechanism, check your insurance policy for key conditions, your nearest breakdown recovery garage ( one used by green flag etc ), a mobile locksmith or break a DOOR window.

Personally the best two options are the local recovery garage or mobile locksmith. With the later get an extras key!!!!

One last option is go to your nearest Audi dealer with your V5 and identification and order a new blade. This will take some time but you will then hopefully be able to use the blade in the drivers door lock.

Back