What does your a2 1.4tdi sound like

Ok this may be a dead thread before it begins as I can't upload the mp4 to demonstrate how mine sounds and I've had plenty of diesels over the years but my dog of an a2 (yet to win my heart) sounds the worst. Describing an engine sound in words is difficult but it's like machine gun fire like metal in metal. There is no obvious signs of an oil leak and I've had the engine mounts checked but the sound is constant at all speeds and you can hear it in the cabin clearly. Do I have a dog or is the deal with this 1.4tdi 75bhp engine? Thanks in adavance for sharing your exoerience.

Sounds like half a Porsche 6 crossed with a bit of diesel whirr and clatter in mine. I've often been anti-Diesel for their sound, but the little 3-pot is distinctive to my ears.

You could post on YouTube and send a link. That works pretty well.

My friend who normally drives an A6 and just bought a brand new A5 had a wee shot of my car the other day. He was VERY impressed by the gutsy engine note and growl of our little three pots. He almost cancelled the A5!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel tech has moved on in 20 years so the latest generation of diesels together with good sound deadening makes them very refined. The A2’s aluminium structure probably amplifies the noise too.

I wanted my second A2 to be a TDI 75 but when I drove two different examples (75 and 90) the noise put me off (my other car is a Merc E220d W213) and since my mileage was going to be less than 4k p.a. I opted for the FSI which apart from the two seconds of clatter at start up is smooth and sounds fantastic. I appreciated there may be future FSI issues but the the noise dissuaded me from the TDI’s as they both did indeed sound like machine guns (although maybe oldskool kids toy guns) firing into metal.

I think you’ll just have to live with it, switch to petrol or convert to electric. Very interesting reading the thread about the electric A2 though.

Couple of things made a difference for me. Get the under tray fitted, if you don’t have one that is. I noticed straight away that it was quieter with this on.
Secondly, the top engine cover, only makes a slight difference and I think most garages throw them away because they look tatty and get in the way.
Thirdly, get a long fifth gear fitted, @depronman did mine, makes a huge difference to the cabin noise at cruising speed, as well as saving lots of mpg.

There's a whole other thread about adding two stroke to diesel, but when I tried it the engine ran quiter, less clackerty

Last edited:
You should hear the noise my 90 makes. The flywheel is well and truly finished. sounds like it's going to eat itself :D

Mine now has a wonderful little growl on acceleration thanks, I think, to the ProAloy intercooler.
I was told the other day, while idling, that it had a nice purr to it.

No complains for a 16 year old diesel a bit rattly at cold start becomes acceptably refined when fully warmed up. At is best on a motorway.
It has not always been this refined, mice once ate the foam sound deadening that has now been replaced. Also a revised cam cover design significantly improved refinement.

All three of mine are TDI75's and all sound different. One is seriously agricultural on start-up but smooths out to become very free-revving when properly warm, albeit rather noisy with resonance through the cabin at lower revs. One is much sweeter and quiet up to about 2.8k but rapidly gets gruff over that, even if it does pull like a train. The third one is somewhere between them, a consistent crisp growl under load at all revs but smooth at idle and lighter throttle settings.

Couple of things made a difference for me. Get the under tray fitted, if you don’t have one that is. I noticed straight away that it was quieter with this on.
Secondly, the top engine cover, only makes a slight difference and I think most garages throw them away because they look tatty and get in the way.
Thirdly, get a long fifth gear fitted, @depronman did mine, makes a huge difference to the cabin noise at cruising speed, as well as saving lots of mpg.

There's a whole other thread about adding two stroke to diesel, but when I tried it the engine ran quiter, less clackerty

Still offering the service for long 5th gear if you are interested

Pm me for details

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah all working, little bit of vibration but no clutch slippage or juddering. New Clutch kit sat in my workshop just building up the momentum to change it.
Quite a big job but I’m sure it will be worth it when done, until then munch munch.

No complains for a 16 year old diesel a bit rattly at cold start becomes acceptably refined when fully warmed up. At is best on a motorway.
It has not always been this refined, mice once ate the foam sound deadening that has now been replaced. Also a revised cam cover design significantly improved refinement.
To be honest never troubled me so never really analysed it, been on a reasonable motorway trip today and had a good think about it. Cold start at -1 was very clunky and rough, like three hammers being shaken in a plastic bucket, but quickly became smooth as it warmed up. At motorway speeds the engine is nothing more than a background thrum, quite relaxing. Tyre noise is far more intrusive as are passing vehicles or vehicles being passed and sometimes wind noise. Put my foot down hard and it makes a more purposeful thrum with more volume. Again nothing intrusive just a small engine telling you it is doing a bit of work. All in all very good for its age and only a fraction noisier than a modern diesel we own and at motorway speeds that engine runs at a full 1000rpm less than the A2.

I found top cover plus foam makes quite a difference.

I'm looking forward to the b-road on my final approach to work to hear the 3-pot reverberating off a railway bridge's low walls. My 2.0T always sounds quite purposeful as I accelerate across it in second, as it's on the exit of a tight, slow bend so good for full throttle acceleration runs. Then there is a motorway underpass 50 yards from work's entrance, so that will get a try, too.

Back