What is missing from boot?

JavaGreen

Scotland
I took a photograph so that I may ask members that are more in the know to advise what is missing from the empty spaces in the tool floor area of he boot.

TIA

Paul
239C00F5-D9D8-4CAF-BB19-CD5D500102FD.jpeg

The box top right has nothing in it.

The battery has two bright brass nuts top of battery, missing battery cover?

The bottom right has a wheel brace, nothing is in the area just above it.

Top right is where the optional cd based sat nav unit is fitted. The large slot in front of the wheel brace is where the optional tow hook gets stored. Jack is further to the right out of the picture.

Is the optional tow hook a removable item?

i do not have sat nav, so understand why it is empty.

Thanks

Yes the tow hook can be removed. Quite rare to find a genuine tow bar now. I have seen people buy a whole car just to get the tow bar ( or Votex body kit ).

Here is the tow hook part that is removable, the rest stays bolted to the underside of the car..

1629835327358.png

That is just how expensive they are. Obviously they will also get the parts fixed to the under side of the car also. They can then sell the car on to recoup most if not all of their costs.

I paid €20 for mine.. and another €150 for the bar, €100 for the wiring kit and now I need the bits which are unobtainium. :(
Have to agree - my mistake - that's the space for the towball. Which implies you have a car with the towbar from the factory.

I shall check the rear end to see if it has any tow bar bits/brackets fitted.

I assume that the boot tray was not generic and inserted/installed depending on specs At factory.

Last edited:
Think mine has the space for tow ball but not fitted, same as nav think it's most cars like this, unless you have bose then it's different again

The box top right has nothing in it.

The battery has two bright brass nuts top of battery, missing battery cover?

The bottom right has a wheel brace, nothing is in the area just above it.
Hi JavaGreen,
The brass captive nuts allow the fitment of the collapsible spare wheel bracket & wheel assembly & also serve as a battery clamp once the lower one is removed towards the bumper side of packing.
Hope that helps
Keith.

Think mine has the space for tow ball but not fitted, same as nav think it's most cars like this, unless you have bose then it's different again
I'm very sure that this is not the case: standard was without the towball space. Check under the bumper. Bose means the toolbox moves to the front.

I don't think the original two-part tool holders had space for the towbar head, but the later combined (L-shaped) unit did, and that's the one that's pictured above.

First A2s had the tools all the the right part of the foam unless a tow bar was ordered from new. In that case they fitted the now normal shaped foam with the tools along the rear and the cut out for the tow hitch. Now if Bose was specified the tools move under the right front floor but do not remember seeing a tow bar storage under the front floor and not obvious from the foam either. Sure someone will comment to correct this.
So all A2s had the storage location built into the foam from quite early on as they standardised the foam. Just because you have the storage location is not a guarantee that the tow bar was / is fitted now.

First A2s had the tools all the the right part of the foam unless a tow bar was ordered from new. In that case they fitted the now normal shaped foam with the tools along the rear and the cut out for the tow hitch. Now if Bose was specified the tools move under the right front floor but do not remember seeing a tow bar storage under the front floor and not obvious from the foam either. Sure someone will comment to correct this.
So all A2s had the storage location built into the foam from quite early on as they standardised the foam. Just because you have the storage location is not a guarantee that the tow bar was / is fitted now.
Early A2s were not certified for towing on their C of C (recent thread threw this up). So probably no provision for tow ball.
Mac.

Cheers Mac. So conclude once certified the universal tools along the rear became the normal fit unless Bose. Still do not know where Bose cars stored the tow ball?
Conversely if you have the foam with the tools to the right do not retrofit a tow bar.

I'm sure the BOSE tool holder in the driver's footwell also has space for the towball. It's certainly deep enough to fit it. I'll go have a look at mine if I remember in the morning (but I'll have slept since posting this so all bets are off ?)

Back