What is the difference between all types of A2 wishbones?

3dB

What is the difference between all types of A2 wishbones? Are they anyhow interchangeable? My right one has broken dust cap on guide joint.... :(

Catalog says
8Z0407152J cast iron AUA,BBY,BAD
8Z0407152L cast iron AMF right side (why special one for amf?)
8Z0407153L new version for all and also left and right side (same part both sides???)

Totally confused... What is going on here....?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your rubber dust cover will probably replace without swapping arms assuming there is not play in the ball joint

Early cars have sided cast arms
With bushes spec suit to petrol or diesel

Later pressed steel arms are are not sided but the bottom ball joint is sided
But potentially suffer from corrosion problems long term

So I can mix and match earlyer style wishbone with later style no problem? I plan on buying later style ball joint only to steal dust cap from and try to replace only dust cap if joint is still good...

I replaced my steel ones with cast iron, it was worth doing for me as the steel ones were badly corroded, another few miles and they would've rusted through.

To learn about the different wishbones, get yourself a cup of coffee or two or three and read this long thread:

If you only need the ball joint boots, RAB posted this link a while ago - https://www.balljointboots.co.uk/
A much cheaper option than a new alloy wishbone for a 1.2Tdi! I always make sure that the boots are OK before I take the car for an MOT at the local VW garage (Caffyns VW) otherwise their only option is to offer me a new wishbone!

RAB

If you only need the ball joint boots, RAB posted this link a while ago - https://www.balljointboots.co.uk/

Cheers Spike
I've just done both of mine for the MOT.
If its of any use Boot No.4 from balljointboots fits a treat (Approximate hole sizes 30 mm and 16 mmHeight 26.5 mm.)
They come with tie wraps rather than metal rings.
You need an 18mm spanner to undo them but nothing else needs dismantling.
Tightening up again is 20Nm + 90 degrees

I hope this helps someone
Cheers
Jonathan

Last edited:
Back