What size socket !!!

A2 Louis

Banned
Hi all Can anyone please tell me what size socket fits on to a Audi oil filter ?

Or what is the best way to get it off any oil filter tools you guys use what are useful ?

All my sockets are too big or small to get this filter off !!!!

Thanks all

I just use adjustable pliers. It’s big enough you’re very unlikely to round the corners off and I figure I can buy a few oil filter housings for the cost of a proper hex socket. Probably done 30 changes on 3 cars with no noticeable plastic damage. IMHO you really don’t need to torque it up, it has an o-ring, though I expect some readers will despair of me (again).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, sorry I had assumed tdi. So this is the metal spin on disposable cartridge, also used on fsi. I’d be guessing but I think it’s a 30mm. No doubt someone else can confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally every filter is 32mm

But if I put a 32mm on this it just spins round as it’s way to big !!!

Is there any oil filter remover that would work in that tight space what you have tried ?

I’m guessing it’s a Audi oil filter as it was last serviced at Audi and the air filter was Audi

Please help folks

Has anyone got a link to a good socket set starting from 20mm to 30mm as it will be between 20 and 30mm size

The biggest sockets I have are 22mm what is too small and 32mm what fits all oil filters but way to big for this one so I’m guessing it’s obviously going to be between 20mm and 30mm

Louis, i put a big open ended spanner on it, if you say 32mm then thats what is use. If i don't remember to and go with the way i've always done filter changes i use one of these. Either way is a pain due to such limited space but spanner is better.

th

Normally every filter is 32mm

But if I put a 32mm on this it just spins round as it’s way to big !!!

Is there any oil filter remover that would work in that tight space what you have tried ?

I’m guessing it’s a Audi oil filter as it was last serviced at Audi and the air filter was Audi

Please help folks

Has anyone got a link to a good socket set starting from 20mm to 30mm as it will be between 20 and 30mm size

The biggest sockets I have are 22mm what is too small and 32mm what fits all oil filters but way to big for this one so I’m guessing it’s obviously going to be between 20mm and 30mm
Pah!!......…......lol...………...…….I call my big sockets 80mm plus.........……………..Truck one's by the way..

Hi Louis,

I would try and measure the head if possible, standard tape will give some idea but Vernier better. Better than guessing.
Adjustable spanner if room allows? - standard plumber's wrench goes up to 36mm.

Andy

I think from memory (some time since I did a service on a 1.4 petrol) that its either 28mm or 30mm I can't be sure because I have a socket set that goes upto 32mm in 2mm intervals 32, 30, 28, 26, 24, 22, 20, 19, 18, 17 down to 6mm

put from memory it will be 28 or 30, ideally it should be a 6 point (not a 12 point) socket, but I would use a 12 point if that is all I had

Paul

Back