What to look for when buying an A2 privately?

toosmooth

Hi,
After looking at A2's for about 6 months I have finally seen one for sale privately which I'd like to buy. Can anyone offer any help as to what to look for with these cars? I had hoped to buy from an Audi garage to de-risk the process but have yet to see one suitable, which leaves me wondering about what goes wrong with A2's. The car (silver, 2003, Tdi, 41000 miles) I've got my eye on has about 4 months left of warranty but it has been 'chipped' which is not something I've seen before with diesels.

Are these cars generally ok post warranty - or are there specific components which have a 3 year shelf life which I'd be wise to get checked out.

If anyone could offer any advice I'd be grateful.

Thanks, James .

Hi James
It's never a good idea to buy a car without having driven similar models for comparison. If you have not already done so, try and get a couple of test drives in first, before trying the one you have your eye on. This way you should be able to tell immediately if it is a good example.
What to look for :-
Check the service records then phone the dealer and ask if it is still in warranty. Missing a service or having it done more than a couple of weeks late can invalidate it.
There are no really 'common' faults but a few members have had problems with the roll bar bushes and drop links so be wary of squeeks and rattles from the front suspension.
A few power steering system failures have been reported and are expensive to fix. Apart from the steering feeling 'notchy' and heavy the only thing to check is the fluid level in the steering pump reservoir. This is hidden under the passenger side headlamp but the level marks on the translucent reservoir are just visible. A low level is likely to mean leaking steering rack seals but the loss of fluid can also lead to failure of the steering pump and a £1100 bill.
A diagnostic check would be worthwhile as this would highlight any problems with the climate control etc. The check is expensive (Probably around £70) unless you know someone with Vagcom but is worth considering.
Chipping turbocharged diesel engines is quite common and typically increase power and torque by 25 - 30%. A few club members have had this done without any problems. There is however some rubbish on the market so check it is from a reputable company.

Cheers Spike

Thanks spike, I really appreciate that. Not checking the fluid level fo the power steering sounds like an expensive mistake to make....

I'll keep you posted!

Cheers, James.

make sure everything works - especially OpenSky if it has if fitted (very expensive to get fixed)

Be wary of black "matrix" cloth (the cheap one - looks like a mesh over the fabric) - from experience it is a pig to keep clean as is the black interior.

Look to see if it has a space saver or can of goo - both should have a compressor (in boot or under drivers feet)

AM radio reception can be awful so if you ues AM check it.

Some have rear bench seats (3 seat belts) most have 2 individual seats (only 2 belts) so if you need three belts make sure it has the bench seat.

If it has Bose there will be an amp/speaker under the lower boot floor - tools under drivers footwell. An SE has a second boot floor at bumper level so there are two lids to lift..

Find out if it is on fixed/variable service intervals and check the display to see when it is next due (push the clock(?) button when ignition just turned on.) You might be facing a big bill very soon after buying.

Lift the bonnet off and check around for damage inside

Last edited:
question

Thanks Ian - I wasn't sure about the servicing issue since I read somewhere that the intervals are either driven by onboard diagnostics or by standard mileage intervals - and can be selected by the owner as to what they prefer.

What should I be looking for when I carry out the procedure to check? Will it display which type of service is due? Sorry for the basic question.

If it's on set mileage intervals, which services are the pricey ones? I'm beginning to sweat now!

Thanks again for your help. It is really appreciated.

James.

If the car is set to VSI (variable service interval), when you press the left hand button by the dials, - with the engine running but car at less the 5mph - it will tell you how many miles to the next service.

The intermediate service is around £240 in the midlands - prices vary around the country depending on labour rate. Ours have not reached major service so don't know what the cost is. If you have the reg. and it has a FSH the local Audi dealer will be able to tell you what it has had done and when.

James, personally speaking, with so many used A2's available I wouldn't go near a chipped example. Why buy a 'tuned' model that's almost certainly been driven more 'enthusiastically' when you can find a standard, pampered example so easily.

hi james,

I am looking to sell my a2 tdi se in metallic black,41k,variable servicing 13k till next service, it is a 53 reg with full audi warranty until 6th of october taxed till june asking price 8500 ono if interested please contact me on 07811531042

regards terry

p.s not chipped.

hi james,

I am looking to sell my a2 tdi se in metallic black,41k,variable servicing 13k till next service, it is a 53 reg with full audi warranty until 6th of october taxed till june asking price 8500 ono if interested please contact me on 07811531042

regards terry

p.s not chipped.

I know this is an old thread, and I'm totally new to the A2, but I think it is the right car for me. My budget is at the bottom end and I'd like a TDi. Am I being stupid looking for one at that end, or is it a viable option? Is there anything I should know in 2010 that might be new to the car now it is older? Buying private/auction is my choice.
Thanks

If it has Bose there will be an amp/speaker under the lower boot floor - tools under drivers footwell. An SE has a second boot floor at bumper level so there are two lids to lift..

I had my first ever A2 viewing today. It was a Sport with Bose but could not find the tools "under driver's footwell" - any photos or pointers anyone? Also, this same Sport one had two boot floors and thus two lids to lift as well, so it is not only SE trims with that feature, right? Thanks!

I had my first ever A2 viewing today. It was a Sport with Bose but could not find the tools "under driver's footwell" - any photos or pointers anyone? Also, this same Sport one had two boot floors and thus two lids to lift as well, so it is not only SE trims with that feature, right? Thanks!

Hi Herx ... mine is a 1.4 Petrol SE ... the tools, compressor and jack are in moulded units underneath the lower boot floor.
Good luck and hope you find an A2 soon, they are great cars and this club will have all the knowledge to hopefully keep you right ...

Hi Herx ... mine is a 1.4 Petrol SE ... the tools, compressor and jack are in moulded units underneath the lower boot floor.
Good luck and hope you find an A2 soon, they are great cars and this club will have all the knowledge to hopefully keep you right ...
If it has factory (or properly retrofitted system) Bose the tools are under the drivers foot well. Bit of a faff to get at you need to pull the carpet right away there is an aluminium plate with three turn fitting. The tools are under there.

As @simufly says, we have an SE in the household with Bose and the tools are underneath the drivers carpet.

We also have a Sport which has false floor in the boot, but it has been retro fitted. I think it would be unusual to find a sport model with original false floor.

Ian

If the car has Bose there will be a Bose amp in the drivers footwell if the tools have been removed . The Bose amp is about 20cm by 10cm unlike the default amp which is about the size of a rubix cube. There would also be a Bose subwoofer in where the battery is like this. See pic

If the subwoofer and Amp are missing then it may be that someone has added the Bose speaker covers like the pic attached and doesn’t have Bose

88B01386-FF26-470E-BFA4-BCF628E248A3.jpeg

1AB2B3A4-E03B-4FB4-A523-FD9EA0456578.jpeg

Back