Chat What to look out for at 150,000 miles on a TDI 75?

Damian Bond

A2OC Donor
Evening/morning I’m in need of some advice,
after my first 3 months and 10,000 miles of ownership all seems to be well with my A2. all the milage is due to me being between jobs and having the time on my hands to appreciate this car. I’m just wondering is there’s anything in particular to lookout for at 150,000 Miles? The plan for this car is to look after it and keep it for the foreseeable (even if it costs all my arms and legs). Ideally the faded DIS, scratched paintwork, soft touch buttons would be like new one day. The main concern is things like the longevity of the engine. how long do these 75 TDIs usually last? how much would an engine rebuild typically cost? clutch feels fine with the pedal still at good low height. Gearbox could be worse considering all the mileage and I’ll possibly look into doing the 6 speed gearbox eventually. Also worth mentioning it’s still on its original exhaust and suspension.

sorry that was all a ramble of questions and I hope I’ve posted in the correct place. I’m wanting to plan ahead for future repairs.
thank you for taking the time to read through.
Damian

TDI75s are notorious for swallowing very high mileages. You could aim for the same mileage again and with the correct maintenance, have every chance of getting there. The key thing is to change the oil & filter with the correct spec every year or 10k, whichever comes first (you could probably stretch the current 10k a bit if it's all been done in such a short time). Ensure the cambelt, tensioners and waterpump are done every 5 years or 60k.

At that mileage, keep an ear out for uneven idling and a rattle as of a worn timing chain. The oil pump and balancer shaft are chain-driven, and that chain & associated tensioners & sprockets can wear and fail from 120k onwards, although they could equally still be fine past 250k. If you're planning to replace them as a preventative step, best to do so at the same time as a scheduled cambelt change because it's all behind there.

Keep an eye out also for leaks from the other end of the head, the tandem pump that delivers fuel and vacuum can let go gradually and in the process leak diesel all over the rubber coolant pipes below it, which will soften them and cause them to swell and fail.

Other than that, plenty of long runs at steady speed will see it continue to rack up the miles at 60+ mpg for a long time to come, go to it and good luck ?

Ok many thanks for the advice the cambelt is all booked. Do many people replace or rebuild the engine do you know? I’d definitely consider it if my current one gives up the ghost.

Has the balance shaft/oil pump chain and tensioner been checked as they are often badly worn at this sort of mileage woud also replace gearbox oil

Has the balance shaft/oil pump chain and tensioner been checked as they are often badly worn at this sort of mileage woud also replace gearbox oil
Not that I’m aware of but it’s something I will definitely get that checked soon. The previous owner who I know loved it like his child so I feel quite safe with it. His wife always said he’d be buried in it ?! I was looking through the service history and the gearbox oil was changed a couple months before I bought the car.
Thanks Damian

I'd start with what should have been done, as frequently it isn't, so things like the fuel filter, pollen filter, gearbox oil change, gearbox tower clean and lube, then work your way down the usual culprits as they come up. DIS (see @timmus) drivers door lock and then petrol cap switch, wiper arm (see @depronman), oil dip stick and glove box switch (see @depronman), headlights go foggy, gearbox dogbone mount. that should keep you busy for this year!

Could be. There’s only one way to find out. ? They are not very expensive. Haven’t had mine replaced for 5 years or so.
Mine (~140-odd thousand miles at the time) needed the rear suspension bushes replacing 18 months ago. It wasn't a clunk so much as a low groan through the chassis from the right rear when loaded with passengers and going over a low frequency larger amplitude depression in the road. Since the bushes (and top / bottom spring seats) were done that noise has never come back.

Mine (~140-odd thousand miles at the time) needed the rear suspension bushes replacing 18 months ago. It wasn't a clunk so much as a low groan through the chassis from the right rear when loaded with passengers and going over a low frequency larger amplitude depression in the road. Since the bushes (and top / bottom spring seats) were done that noise has never come back.
Do you mind me asking how much that cost?
Damian

Do you mind me asking how much that cost?
Damian
It's difficult to answer as the job comprised a 6-speed gearbox swap and a complete rear suspension refresh (shocks, mounts, spring pads top and bottom) and the rear suspension bushes for the rear beam over the same 24h period. I supplied all the parts, the whole job cost 600 quid. Bushes alone would probably be 2 and a bit hours, so if you supply the bushes and nothing else needs doing maybe in the 150-200 range?

Back