What's The Correct Power Steering Fluid?

Hi, again.

The answer to any A2 question will almost certainly be in the quarter million posts on here, just not that easy to find using the forum search in the top right. It is not that good ignoring three letter or less words, not helpful on a car forum riddled with acronyms such as ABS, PAS, PDC, ECU, EMl, etc., but have you tried a search of 'power steering fluid'?

Often more fruitful to use Google with a search such as"a2oc 'your interest'" but nothing wrong with asking your question on here.

Andy

G002 000 which VAG changed by G004 000.
The original (G002000) is Pentosin CHF 11S

hidraulinis-skystis-pentosin-chf-11s-1l.jpg

Last edited:
I will use this old topic. I plan to replace the steering fluid. What is the capacity of the power steering fluid to be replaced?
I will not drain it, but I intend to take out part of the steering fluid from the reservoar with a large injection with a clean tube at the bottom and just replace the taken out quantity, so that the steering fluid will be partialy changed. After a few weeks I will repeat the procedure.

Just refill it to nearly the full line on the dipstick in the cap. Pointless asking what the capacity is as you are not emptying the system.

Reactions: mtl
I need at least indicative info of the full quantity, so that I know how much I need to buy ;).

I need at least indicative info of the full quantity, so that I know how much I need to buy ;).
Just looking at the dimensions, from memory the reservoir tank is a similar sort of diameter to Nalgene 1L plastic bottles but at least twice the height. Full volume therefore likely to be ~2-2.5 litres, plus whatever fluid volume is in the pipework away from the pump.

Does anyone know what is the difference between VAG G004000 and G004000M2 hydraulic fluid? Because they are both floating as the correct one for A2 power steering on this forum. Or is the G004000M2 just a newer, replacement part for G004000?
According to my research (I am not stating this is valid!!!) via some online parts configurators G004000M2 should be the correct one only for 1.2TDI engine, while for the other engine options G004000 is the correct one. While Febi 46161 states as compatible with both standards, MEYLE 014 020 6100 states only as compatible with G002000 and G004000 and Meyle does not even have an oil compatible with G004000M2.
Quite a mess :).

Last edited:
I believe that either can be used in the A2.
The M2 version is the latest fluid which is also used for the DSG gearboxes - perhaps that's what the M2 suffix relates to?

FYI: today I bought 1l of power steering fluid at Audi dealer by VIN nr. of my car (1.4 petrol, MY2000) and I got G004000M2. What is the difference with regards to G004000 I do not know.
Anyway, the cost was 15 EUR (with a small discount), Febi is 12,5 EUR, so it is not worth using Febi. Even if the difference would be larger, I would still go with the factory fluid, because I will not do full system flush.
Interestingly this original VAG fluid was more expensive at my local parts dealer than at Audi dealer.

Last edited:
Back