What's this on the dash?

roc-a-rhol

A2OC Donor
Wales
Does anyone know what the 'empty square' bit of trim is on top of the dash? i'd like to be able to take it off and maybe make a tray of sorts but not sure if its possible?

Drew

a2.jpg

You could probably make the tray a few centimetres deep at the very most. As Will says, you've got air ducts beneath.
A few people who have been in my car have wondered whether it's some kind of pop-up display or similar.

Tom

There is more space than you think below there! I had it in mind to cut around that rectangle with a "Dremmel". It needs to be cut out very carefully, as it would form the lid of the "storage compartment" Next, a suitable tray would need to be fabricated, to maximum depth. This would just drop into the opening, sitting on its own ~ 1cm lip. Now, the removed rectangle (which may need to be edged, either for strength or appearance), would be hinged at the rear to the "storage compartment" and there would be a "press-to-release/retain" catch at the front. This compartment would be flush with the top surface of the dash, the lid would be in the same material/finish and there would be no hinges/catch visible! I feel that certainly ones wallet and maybe even a sat-nav would go in that compartment! (if the sat-nav was secured to the underside of the lid, then that would make a very visible location for that device ..... just like the current A1?)

David

The vent ducts are about 2-3 cm below the dash top. The Polo tray with or without the clip cover will fit very well. I did consider the mod when I had my dash out but baulked at the fact that the "lip" of the tray would need to rest on the dash and I felt that may seem ungainly. On the Polo it sits flush in the dash top and looks much better. Also there is the aspect of colour - the Polo is a little more grey.

blue skies
tony

it just seems as though its begging to be modified... i like the idea of fitting a polo tray in there, but id need to see how it looks (my dad has an 08 polo so i'll check his)

david, it seems as though you thought about this for a long time! if you ever do this mod, please be sure to take loads of photos!

I'm pretty confidant that I could design that compartment and its lid to sit perfectly flush with the top of the dash. with no "lip" at all! Interesting, this VW Polo part? It might be worth starting with that and working everything around its placement ..... I'll just have to fool the "ETKA" software into assuming that it is not out-of-date! I do like the idea of a lid which is made from the very section that has been cut-out, though ..... it could be so integrated that it is almost a "hidden" compartment!

David

Way back - probably years - there was a thread on here where a guy fitted a sat-nav there that popped-up when in use. I recall there were lots of photos of him doing the job. Can anyone find the thread? Without a name, it's difficult to know what to search on.

Wow! I can't wait to see that! It would appear that, whatever idea you have, someone's thought of it before you! LOL! I can imagine the arguments that must have ensued when the wheel was "invented! LOL!

David

it just seems as though its begging to be modified... i like the idea of fitting a polo tray in there, but id need to see how it looks (my dad has an 08 polo so i'll check his)

david, it seems as though you thought about this for a long time! if you ever do this mod, please be sure to take loads of photos!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-POLO-9...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a2901840c This is what you're talking about, isn't it? You see, it does appear to have a reasonable depth .... The lip is there, though. Black, as well (my dash is in "twist", so I'd have to spray to match) (that would raise a big "Tut" from Tom!) LOL!
If you've got a black dash, then Hey-Presto!, you're just about there!

David

Thank you! That is absolutely brilliant! I have never seen this article (obviously) and yet there are all the steps that I had in mind and outlined earlier in this thread! I think that even with a slight rise to the dash profile, it still looks quite effective and is a very useful feature! The article didn't translate into English and more photos would have been useful (like how the lid is attached/compartment design). I wonder if there ARE more details, somewhere?) Did you notice that it is copyrighted? Anyway .... I think that I'll be going for it .... another one for the list! LOL! I wonder if that VW part (the dash "tray") is only available in black?

David

thats awesome. i agree david, that the steps could have been more detailed, as it goes through the basics of cutting a hole, and then "voila, you have a working flip-up sat nav... bravo"

my only concern is if a bodge job is done on the cutting, theres a grt big cost involved in replacing the console :eek:

certianly something for the more 'steady-handed' members

This is all very interesting, and its also of note as the square panel on the dash top has been questioned before along the same lines - i.e. - can I put something in here? - but this is the first time I recall a link being posted to the above 2007 thread.

With technology having moved on a pace since this mod was posted on the German forum I wonder if this could be a realisitic alternative to RNS-E for people who dont have the double-DIN dashboard?

Even though I'd imagine th finished product sitting a little proud of the dash - it would be great to have similar satnav in the A2 to those you find on the current A1, Q3, a6 etc.

I'm seeing Tony on Monday, will be sure to (not) mention it :)

Given that he's just fitted RNS-E and is a bit of a purist, I can't see Tony hacking a hole in his dash. An A1-style pop-up screen would be cool, but I don't imagine there's the space to do a convincingly OEM job.

Tom

Very true!

Given that he's just fitted RNS-E and is a bit of a purist, I can't see Tony hacking a hole in his dash. An A1-style pop-up screen would be cool, but I don't imagine there's the space to do a convincingly OEM job.

Tom

O.K. Just ordered that part ..... Dash Storage Tray Trim. VW P/No 6Q0858719 .... £9.95, inc. VAT. (That is, AGAIN, cheaper that a 2nd.- hand Ebay-listed part!) Only available in black, though .... I think that this could, with a bit of care and attention to detail, be quite a presentable and useful mod. ....... "Now WHERE have I put my wallet/keys, etc>?" LOL!

David

Back