Wheel Bearings 1.6FSI -recommendation

EdinA2

I’m in the process of refurbing an axle for my 2004 FSI. For the wheel hubs I understand the part number is 6Q0598611. A number of questions arise! Is 7Zap the best source for part numbers? There are two hubs listed on 7Zap, same number but one with an additional A on the end, is there any difference? Via Autodoc, prices seem to vary between £23 and £139. Is there a recommendations? I have scanned the site and I can't see anything relevant, apologies in advance if there is! Thanks in advance for direction on this.

Last edited:
7zap shows that the two versions have different PR numbers, 0N1 & 0N9. Using a decoder site (eg http://prsearch.planetvag.com) reveals that these codes relate to 'Standard' and 'Lightweight' rear axles. On 7zap there's an Applicability section and this indicates that the Lightweight axle is used on the A2 and Lupo 3L TDI, and this part number has the 'A' suffix.
On that basis, I would suggest that the 2004 FSI requires code PR-0N1 with part number 6Q0 598 611.
Hopefully this is the cheaper of the two!

Good Afternoon,

On a general point I am surprised that you found nothing relevant on here about wheel bearings, there is a bit around. If you used the forum's poor internal search that would explain it; the best way to search the site is to use Google, 'a2oc wheel bearing' produces a fair bit.

In answer to your first question 7zap is the best parts database by being the only one!, and to be fair it is quite good. I too picked up the distinction between 'standard axle' and 'lightweight axle', my guess is the part number with additional A is for the streamlined A2 1.2 not sold in the UK. I understand our A2s have an artificial rear weight built in to counteract the nose-heavy aspect of the overall weight distribution, surely it would be daft to make it worse by using a light weight axle?

On to brands, if you use the Google search above after a bit of reading will soon pick up that SKF and FAG are two respected brands, with evidence that Audi originally used SKF but something new to consider is SKF have recently changed their product, they no longer come with a snap ring. This to me stinks of cost cutting and a now inferior product and after all if Audi went for a hub design with a groove to accommodate the snap ring they must have thought it worthwhile. Ergo I recently bought FAG. Any view @spike on this change?

Note as well that search will pick up lots of references to the special wheel bearing tool.

Andy

Back