Wheel Question - SE Design

mjsbrabus

A2OC Donor
I have a spare set of SE alloys which I was going to advertise - or I thought I did!

On checking these they are 7" width ET44.5 which I gather are A3 wheels.

I guess with the right tyres these would work on an A2 - but given the standard A2 SE alloys are ET35 - would these require spacers?

Sounds like 10mm spacers might be wise but I'm sure they would fit fine - just sit inside the arch a bit

I have had these fitted to an A2 and they rubbed on the front inner arches when on full lock.....they are also very heavy. Can't comment on the addition of spacers sorry.

ET44.5 has effectively made the outer surface of the wheel flatter by pulling the hub flange almost 10mm further out than the ET35. Theory is a 10mm spacer would bring the center line of the tyre back into the arch by the same amount, but the outer face will also be 10mm further out so you are not moving the tyre to wheel position. There is still a possibility of rubbing , so you may also have to play around with the tyre size. Look at this to help explain more.

ET44.5 has effectively made the outer surface of the wheel flatter by pulling the hub flange almost 10mm further out than the ET35. Theory is a 10mm spacer would bring the center line of the tyre back into the arch by the same amount, but the outer face will also be 10mm further out so you are not moving the tyre to wheel position. There is still a possibility of rubbing , so you may also have to play around with the tyre size. Look at this to help explain more.

I think I'd better read this as well :D

Audifan. Thanks for the link.

If I have it right then - the wheels are 7" rather than 6" - so 25.4mm wider.

As the extra offset is 9.5mm these wheels will sit 9.5mm further out into the arch and 15.9mm closer to the inner wheel arch than standard ET35 wheels?

Presumably that would give a more 'planted' feel (in theory)

Do you know if these wheels are actually for A3 or TT?

Mike

The ET is measured from the center of the WHEEL i.e. ET35 the hub sits 35mm out from the wheel center line. The measurement is the same on all wheels that is how you can compare. As for what they are off is there a part number cast into the inside face of the wheels sometimes spread across a few spokes. If so google the part number then the vehicle will come up. If no part number then possibly not OEM wheels. The above example was showing same ET but 6" and 9" wheels so you can see what difference that makes. Remember to half the wheel size to work out how far they stick out i.e 7" are 3.5" either side of center and 6" are 3" either side making a 0.5" further out with same ET. Look again at the example then all of a sudden you will see the relationship and can see what ET or width of wheel then from that the tyres, just remember the aspect ratio is a percentage of the TYRE WIDTH, so a 205 45 sits lower than a 245 45......

Part number is 8L0601025Q. Genuine AUDI - same manufacturer in Norway cast onto back of wheels.

Seems to be off Audi A3 (T Sport etc).

So given that the wheels are 1" wider than standard the tyres need to be 205 rather than 185 on the 16" wheels.

And 205/45 is going to give the same circumference as 185/50 - so no error on speedo.

Agreed?

Understand the point that spacers are irrelevant.

Back