Which brake pads/discs?

treeroy

Hi I need new front discs & pads, I've currently got Bosch discs & pads in my eurocarparts basket, for £74, just wonder if anyone knows of anything cheaper as this seems a little bit steep. Would have thought i could get decent discs & pads for more like £50. thanks.

I would just cruise ebay with the part numbers and pick the cheapest make you've heard of?

Side question: Are all brake pads equal and hence we should pick the cheapest? Or can one tell the difference between say OE, Pagid & cheap Chinese-name?

I want to assume you can at least between OE / quality aftermarket and cheapo - anyone have any experience?

Biggest difference is in the pad composition. Some are harder and wear the disks away quicker and others just too soft and wear very quickly. Stick with name brands ( even those are possibly now made in China ). When the pads are most dissimilar to what you have fitted that is when you will notice at least a different feel to the pedal and have to adjust your braking accordingly. The cheapos will work but will you be happy with their performance?

If you stick with the bigger distributors ( GSF for one ) that frequently have discount codes on the "better" brands then that is the way to go.

It's an ATE front brake system, so I would go with ATE. Not necessarily from autodoc, but that's a useful website for finding aftermarket parts.

ATE 24.0122-0151.1 Front Brake Discs 8Z0615301D

(11)8Z0 615 301 Dbrake disc (vented)256X22 5/1002

ATE 13.0460-7117.2 Front Brake Pads 1J0698151G

151J0 698 151 G1 set: brake pads with wear indicator for disc brake256X22MM1

1643900320988.png

Audi Online Parts Catalogue

i'll add my 2 cents for Pagid too, replaced to these on A2 and A4 both times making massive difference to how confident I am in braking, for day to day feel a lot safer and more predictable than whatever was there before, presumably cheapest from kwikfit.

One thing though, personally it is false economy to fit premium pads to old discs especially if the discs are unknown quality.
can attest to this, discs looked good so just got pagid pads for the A4 in front, brakes good but amount of dust is atrocious and did start to squeak not long after as well... not worth the hassle at least to me and might as well just get a matching set pads and discs.

I fitted MTEC performance discs to my 500hp B5 S4 last year which runs upgraded 6 pot brembos and have been very impressed.....so I've just bought front MTEC discs and pads for about £100 for the wife's A2 which failed it's MOT on the front brakes today.

I've gone for the black protective coating which has so far on the S4 shrugged any signs of rust....especially after a few months of winter and salty roads. Yes, it's a good bit more than some of the above options but IMO the bits that keep you stuck to the road (tyres) and the bits that stop you (brakes) are deserving of being at least OEM quality or better if possible.

Yes, the MTEC disc's for the A2 are fancy grooved affairs which I've no interest in and at our speed levels make next to zero difference but hey ho....I'll have confidence they'll do what they need to when required.

One place where you can NOT go cheap....is breaks...

Think of it this way - is it worth 30 40 euros less for MAYBE a whole front body work? Even headlights are expensive on this cars... 10 cm less braking distance can mean a few hundreds in repairs.

DO not use cheap stuff...it is dangerous.
I don't know you driving style but...for me I can make cheap brake pads smoke in less than 10 minutes.

I always use better pads if possible even if the disks are standard. AND check brake fluid at least once a year (not for level - but for water content).
Ate premiun, brembo X, ferodo premier.
I assure you there is a big difference (maybe not if you always drive <50km/h).

Now I use brembo X pads on both my cars.
On a2 I still have the trw disc brakes (not that good but good enough). On rear drums also brembo.

I am not a friend of bosh brake pads - had a few that cracked. Ferodo also are not as good since they changed their receipt.

The ones I like the most is brembo X with brembo disks(grooved or vented)

One place where you can NOT go cheap....is brakes...

Small brakes are safer than big brakes.

Drivers who have big brakes have more accidents than drivers who have small brakes.

It's about driver psychology and the way they behave when given higher performance equipment.

Take the Audi A1 as an example.

256mm, 288mm, and 310mm front brakes have been fitted to various models.

Audi A1 Brakes

The models with the smaller brakes are likely to have a lower insurance group and are therefore safer.

The models with the bigger brakes are likely to have a higher insurance group and are therefore more dangerous.

If you contact your insurance company and tell them that you have increased the performance of your brakes, they will probably increase your insurance premiums or refuse to insure you.

Everyone should have brakes that work well, but a bigger problem is driving on the wrong type of tyres, such as summer tyres in the snow.

Last edited:

Drivers who have big brakes have more accidents than drivers who have small brakes.

It's about driver psychology and the way they behave when given higher performance equipment.

Audi A1 Brakes

The models with the smaller brakes are likely to have a lower insurance group and are therefore safer.

The models with the bigger brakes are likely to have a higher insurance group and are therefore more dangerous.

If you contact your insurance company and tell them that you have increased the performance of your brakes, they will probably increase your insurance premiums or refuse to insure you.

Everyone should have brakes that work well, but a bigger problem is driving on the wrong type of tyres, such as summer tyres in the snow.

Going off that logic, people with no brakes are the safest:D.

Audi A1 Brakes

Interesting logic….

Audi A1 Brakes

That is completelly wrong logic, because size of the brakes does not have anything with the way the drivers drive. But larger brakes are fitted to more powerfull engines/car variants, which are bought by people that also use that performance. And of course there is much higher probability of crash in an Audi S1 with 200HP, driven ''spiritedly'' by a 25 year old also on some nice twisty country roads just for joy in comparison to Audi A1 1.0TFSI with 95HP, driven by a 40 year old woman in a traffic jam from home to work.

I also second that the brakes are the most important thing on the car (besides tires and good chassis: that is why I have 800 EUR in my shocks and springs on my daily Octavia). I always use ATE and have never been disappointed. This is also what I will put on my A2. Difference in cost is around 40-50 EUR from some cheaper brands and there is no way I will go for other brands for such kind of money.

Here is an example of A HOLE in a cheap brake disc (brand Quinton Hazell):
Poskodovan_disk_luknja_v_poceni_zavornem_disku.JPG

Last edited:
If there's no great rush getting these, wait until eBay offer a wide-ranging 20% off offer, which normally includes the Euro Car Parts listings. 18 months ago I went with the Brembo pads and coated discs which came in (with the discount) at £60 a set.

Back