Which winter coolant?

Sylvester

Hi all, I've found a lot of topics on coolants but not much on which winter ones.
I know it'd be G12 for summer and G12+ in winter, but I've read that the newer G13 meets the specs just as good. Which one of these should I get?

Also there's a small coolant leak for a long time, I need to refill a glass amount every month and found this after removing the bottom cover. The coolant leaking on that bit for months probably. What's that bit? Thanks
Screenshot_2019-12-01-12-11-35.png

Hi all, I've found a lot of topics on coolants but not much on which winter ones.
I know it'd be G12 for summer and G12+ in winter, but I've read that the newer G13 meets the specs just as good. Which one of these should I get?

Also there's a small coolant leak for a long time, I need to refill a glass amount every month and found this after removing the bottom cover. The coolant leaking on that bit for months probably. What's that bit? ThanksView attachment 59315
Hi Sylvester,
G13 replaces the G12 & G12+ , probably 2 bottles will suffice , 1 1/2 bottles should do the quantity you need, mix with distilled water to give required strength.
I wouldn’t use other brands myself.

Hth
Keith.

Reactions: Tsu

Also there's a small coolant leak for a long time, I need to refill a glass amount every month and found this after removing the bottom cover. The coolant leaking on that bit for months probably. What's that bit? ThanksView attachment 59315

G12 and G12+ are different standard both are for winter use. The a2 was design for G12 however G12+ and G13 are fine too. That part in the picture is your oil level sensor I think from the picture. Your leak is running down the engine block to this point. Which engine do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G12 and G12+ are different standard both are for winter use. The a2 was design for G12 however G12+ and G13 are fine too. That part in the picture is your oil level sensor I think from the picture. Your leak is running down the engine block to this point. Which engine do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've 1.4 petrol AUA. Unfortunately I haven't got a ramp and months ago only had a look once, as where I used to live had a few blocks of pallets and I used them to raise the car to change the air filter and that's when I saw the leak. Actually last few weeks when I was driving with a bit of swing around roundabouts, the oil level light came on for a few seconds. I added a bit more few days ago just in case. Thanks

Hi Sylvester,
G13 replaces the G12 & G12+ , probably 2 bottles will suffice , 1 1/2 bottles should do the quantity you need, mix with distilled water to give required strength.
I wouldn’t use other brands myself.

Hth
Keith.
Hi Keith, if I get the 1L concentrate, can I just take 1L old coolant out and replace it at once and let them mix? The concentrate is good till -30C so can't see reason changing it all out. I know it should be water, so maybe taking 2L out of the system, mixing the 1L concentrate 50-50, then pour that back. That should be good for this winter, right? I can't really go under the car now to do a proper change, hence I'm trying to come up with another solution. Thanks

Hi Keith, if I get the 1L concentrate, can I just take 1L old coolant out and replace it at once and let them mix? The concentrate is good till -30C so can't see reason changing it all out. I know it should be water, so maybe taking 2L out of the system, mixing the 1L concentrate 50-50, then pour that back. That should be good for this winter, right? I can't really go under the car now to do a proper change, hence I'm trying to come up with another solution. Thanks
Hi
I would not recommend mixing different
brands of antifreeze can lead to big problems,
If you know what is in there now you could test the concentration with a tester like this
One.
verline
4.0 out of 5 stars 120Reviews
Silverline 427656 Anti-Freeze Tester 7-37 Degree Celsius

1. Silverline 427656 Anti-Freeze Tester 7-37 Degree Celsius
Empty Heart

Price:£5.36

Back