Whistling sound

will26

Hi all,
1.4 se manual Audi A2.

A rather annoying /worrying whistling sound has become apparent when driving over 40-50 mph. It's consistent but doesn't sound mechanical so much as it sounds like air coming through the vents! It's difficult to pin down exactly where it's coming from. The sound is still present when driving at speed out of gear. I thought it might be a head gasket, gearbox issue?

I have got a engine temp issue and the starter motor does whine when starting the car but mechanically everything else seems ok.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Will

audifan

A2OC Donor
Could be window or door seals either damaged or out of adjustment. Try to get someone inside the car while you drive it to see if they can find a noise around one of the doors. Does it still make a noise when the heater is on recirculate?

will26

Hey thanks for your response. I'll check (or the better half will) when we next take it on a run - likely this weekend. I'll update should I find anything

will26

Im really none the wiser where the whistling sound is orginating from. I suspect its comign from the vents everything else seems tight and fixed down. (bonnet, windows, doors and service hatch). will take it to the garage!

audifan

A2OC Donor
Have you carefully checked all the window and door seals and weather strips for damage? Do the window frames matcth the body lines correctly and not too far in or out?

Robin_Cox

As suggested by @audifan, this sounds like door seals unless there is something very obviously in the airflow under the car around the front wheel arches - do you have an undertray or is it missing? - secondly are the inner wheel arches fully secured as airflow around these can be pretty turbulent?

However, on one of our A2s, one of the black trim pieces that cover the B-pillar between front and rear doors is slightly misaligned, with the result that the rubber strip covering the front edge of the rear door behind the driver has about a 2mm gap approaching the top of the door. There is obviously an internal chubby seal to mitigate airflow, but in some wind directions and gusts occasionally you get an airflow noise that appears transiently behind the drivers' head and then stops again which we don't get on any other car. Planning to realign the trim piece when I get a chance. Are the black trim pieces between the doors on each side straight and positioned centrally?

Proghound

Admin Team
Do you have the popular wind-deflectors fitted? These can deform the window frames leading to whistles.

Evripidis

Is the AC on and working while this whistling sound is present?

On many cars that I regularly service, a similar sound is intermittently present through the vents because of the AC gas evaporating in the evaporator via the orifice tube. On many service bulletins from various manufacturers this is described as normal and can be as loud as a horn in some occasions but most usually sounds like the whistling that you describe.

will26

Hi all. Apologies for the lateness in responding but thanks for all your suggestions. I'll take another look this weekend and report back!