Whistling under harder acceleration

Damian Bond

A2OC Donor
Hi fellow A2 enthusiasts. After looking through the forum I can find similar problems to mine but with a few differences. My A2 has developed a whistling noise under medium to hard acceleration between 2000 and 3000 rpm. I only push it when accelerating onto the motorway but the whistling noise can be repucated at any speed as long as it's between those two rev ranges. The whistle itself sounds very similar to the normal turbo whistle but more laboured sounding if that makes sense. Also it's worth saying that there is no change in performance at all. I've tried the reving at a standstill and it won't make the noise at all. Since I've had the car I've known the EGR valve could do with replacing so I don't know if it could be that. (I've got used to the "Mooing" from the EGR😁) I've had an oil change done recently and the man at the garage said my flex pipe to the exhaust has a small hole. Other than that I can't think of anything else that might have something to do with it I'm always fairly light with my right foot so I've only really noticed this within the last week. It's my pride and joy so anyone's responses would be really appreciated.
Many thanks. Damian

If you have an AMF unplug the EGR and stick a bicycle valve cap in the pipe. If the noise doesn't go away you can dismiss the EGR (I expect you will) and then get a new flex pipe.

+1 on flex pipe. My previous car was a Puma 1.7 and that had a tiny hole on the flexi. It made "turbo sound", which sounded cool at first, but after few weeks, the hole got bigger and it changed to "old tractor sound".

Thank you all for your replys I'm having checked out in a few weeks time as money's tight at the moment. My A2s not been used much recently. I'm mainly driving a 2018 Yaris hybrid. The A2 being over 20 years old still gets better mpg than a 5 year old hybrid!

Hi,
I appreciate I am a bit late to this post however, I think it might be worth you checking your boost hoses (Assuming your A2 is a TDI)
I had a similar issue with my 90 where it would whistle when accelerating and after a look around the engine bay I found a split in one of my boost hoses.
boost hose.jpg

pictured above is the damaged hose in question. After switching out the damaged hose with a good one, the whistling stopped.
Hopefully this is of use to you!

Hi,
I appreciate I am a bit late to this post however, I think it might be worth you checking your boost hoses (Assuming your A2 is a TDI)
I had a similar issue with my 90 where it would whistle when accelerating and after a look around the engine bay I found a split in one of my boost hoses.
View attachment 107397
pictured above is the damaged hose in question. After switching out the damaged hose with a good one, the whistling stopped.
Hopefully this is of use to you!
Oh thanks very much I'll have a look! Mines a 75 TDI

Hello all thank you again for your replys it's greatly appreciated. I've had the old flex pipe cut out and had a new one welded in and the whistling is gone completely. On a side note I had the mot done today and it did fail but only on tyres and one of the headlights were too high. Not bad for a 166000 miler! I have a Toyota Yaris hybrid as a main car but I'm going to hand that back in a years time and just have the A2. I've owned it since 2021 and the thrill of driving it has never left. Absolutely love it and being part of the community on here.
Damian

Back