Windscreen wiper metal tapping on windscreen

Hmmm, mine is doing the same but I can quite see what the cause is. there’s a couple of great fix suggestions but no picture of the offending item. Can anyone help?

Get it fixed ASAP otherwise your screen will crack. Lost several screens to this fault, mainly MOT testers but also to speed bumps. Even if you replace the rubber block (blip) the arm will knock it against the screen and knock it off.

The only fix is a new wiper arm then the joints are tight and even without the rubber block the wiper will not hit the screen.

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/non-aero-wiper-arm-tinkering.37071/

I don't know if yours is an Aero arm or not, but with an original hooked arm I did a temporary fix on my other half's car back in September that is still surviving now without any obvious deterioration or windscreen contact since - see above link for an image of the tweak.

With my car that was an Aero arm, replacing with a new Bosch Aero wiper blade worked - the plastic moulding of the Bosch mounting was a few mm higher than the original no-name blade on the car and that lifted the riveted part of the wiper arm clear without any further issue.

Paul (Depronman) has a repair/restoration option for the wiper arms that should fix the rivets on a much longer term by using better materials than the original.

I effected a temporary workaround with a bit of self-adhesive polyurethane foam sheet from Hobbycraft, just so that something soft was rubbing against the glass. But eventually I stumped up for a new arm. There was an impressive gouge in the bottom of the windscreen for a while.

I put up with this for years, I now have a scratch on the windscreen that has never bothered any MOT testers as it is only at the bottom of the screen.
I had a glass repair done this year too, rear quarter glass, and the bloke had a look at the windscreen for chips etc. and said that he could repair them but there was a risk, he also commented that I had a good Pilkington windscreen that could last without repair even with the chip damage and scratch.

I used to bend the arms and crimp with molegrips frequently but the tapping always came back.

Eventually, this year, I bought a new wiper arm, hopefully I can keep that going for another 12 years. ;)

Back