Windscreen wipers not working

Hi All, My wipers stopped working today. I have checked the fuse and it's fine. Wash squirter works but no wipers. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks

The wiper motor earth is known to fail over time. To test, try a temporary earth connection to a bolt into the bodywork somewhere under the bonnet and see if that gets them moving again.

Thanks I will try that. Is the earth obvious on the motor?
Not essentially the motor
The mounting bracket assembly is isolated from the bodywork by rubber bushes presumably for noise / vibration issues
A fresh earth to bridge the rubber isolation will suffice

With a sudden failure like that it's highly likely that it's the relay, located under the floor in the passenger footwell.

Earthed through the wiring plug. Have seen bad corrosion in the wiring plug and earth failures. Jump lead between the motor body and the engine lock or exposed bolt on chassis will confirm if it is the earth.

Thanks guys, I did a temporary connection between the motor body and the engineer block as described previously, and the wipers sprang to life. I will try and implement a permanent fix like the one in the link that Vic posted above. Just need to find some connectors. Thanks everyone ?

Thanks guys, I did a temporary connection between the motor body and the engineer block as described previously, and the wipers sprang to life. I will try and implement a permanent fix like the one in the link that Vic posted above. Just need to find some connectors. Thanks everyone ?

Lots of ads and lengths available.

My earth cable and still working

Thanks for the tip.

Windscreen wiper stopped working yesterday in Birmingham in torrential rain travelling south from the Lake District to the South Coast. Called my car breakdown company, and while waiting for the mobile mechanic read this post. Asked the mechanic to check for an earthing problem. Wasn't impressed as he used 2 screw drivers to try to make the earth contact which I thought wouldn't work and clearly he had not seen an A2 before as didn't know how to deal with the bonnet. He concluded in the pouring rain it wasn't an earthing problem and ordered a recovery vehicle to take me and the A2 home.

Back home this morning, tried earthing the wiper housing, and low and behold the wipers sprung back into action. Have put a permanent solution in place. Ended up drilling through the cast wiper housing to install a bolt rather than using the existing housing bolts as I felt they were too close to the path of the linkage, and might catch the wire which I then routed to a hard mounting/earthing point on the chassis.

Wasn't impressed by Audi Wolverhampton either. Called them while waiting for the mechanic to see if they could do anything. Appeared to be short staffed, took several attempts and 30 minutes on the phone to get through to their service department who didn't seem that technical and said the best they could do was to look at the car on Friday and would then probably have to order parts etc..

Back