Wiper arm catching windscreen

Gripper71

Hi, a little piece of foam underneath 2 rivets has perished under one of the rivets and the wiper arm is catching on the windscreen.Has this piece of foam got a name and how can I replace it or is this someone's earlier repair? Thank you

It's wear on the rivets which causes the arm to sag and touch the screen. I believe Audi originally included a little rubber thing underneath them, to protect the screen from being cracked if the arm was accidentally let go from the raised position, but nearly all will have fallen out by now as they have aged. I've not heard of a foam piece there before - that could indeed be a previous owner's solution. But as Andy says, @depronman is the man to go to, for a reconditioned wiper arm better (and much cheaper!) than new, that solves the worn rivet problem.

Suspect foam may have been put in by a previous owner trying to bodge a fix maybe? Hard to know.

It's wear on the rivets which causes the arm to sag and touch the screen. I believe Audi originally included a little rubber thing underneath them, to protect the screen from being cracked if the arm was accidentally let go from the raised position, but nearly all will have fallen out by now as they have aged. I've not heard of a foam piece there before - that could indeed be a previous owner's solution. But as Andy says, @depronman is the man to go to, for a reconditioned wiper arm better (and much cheaper!) than new, that solves the worn rivet problem.
Thank you, I've just started a conversation with @depronman waiting for a reply

Sorry for the brief reply earlier I was just tied up.

More backround and info on Paul's refurbished arms here...

Andy

When it comes to refitting a wiper, is there a datum to reference? For example the wiper are is 60mm from the A pillar at full reach.

I go with about 1.5” from the A pillar with a wet screen

This allows for the wiper on full speed on a very wet screen to over shoot a little and not hit the A pillar. If you leave too much gap then the wiper arm hits the plastic scuttle. So getting it just right is key. But 1” to 1.5” always seems to work out ok

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go with about 1.5” from the A pillar with a wet screen

This allows for the wiper on full speed on a very wet screen to over shoot a little and not hit the A pillar. If you leave too much gap then the wiper arm hits the plastic scuttle. So getting it just right is key. But 1” to 1.5” always seems to work out ok

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Paul

Position the wiper arm with the wiper blade fitted at the wiper shaft and align the wiper blade on the windscreen as follows:
l Dimension -a- = 22+5 mm
hinweis.gif
Note
Dimension -a- indicates the distance between the tip of the wiper blade -1- and the black cowl panel grille at the bottom edge of the windscreen.
Tighten the wiper arm nut.
Actuate the “Flick wipe” function and allow the wiper arm to move to its end position.
Switch off ignition.
Check the setting of the wiper arm again and correct if necessary.
Tightening torque
1611598843940.png

The wiper arm on my 300 000 mile car I have re-riveted and shimmed twice. Right now the "rivets" or axels are two M6 screws that have a short unthreaded area near the head. Cut and ground to proper length and nyloc nuts hold them. A general advise is to use Rain-X or wax as repellant. That works very well at speed.

Back