Wiper arm upgrade

landlord

I'm currently at autoglass getting my front windscreen replaced, as MOT said the scratches on the windscreen fails it. The autoglass guy says that he has replaced loads of them due to this issue, and said that some of the a2s have bought an aftermarket wiper arm that doesn't cause this issue. Does anyone have any idea what arm he might be talking about, as he doesn't.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

The later Aero wiper arm is a good replacement. New or refurbished.

Alternatively get the early wiper arm refurbished. Depronman does it properly, I did it with rivnuts and polythene washers (for a while).

My screen also had the scrape and my insurance covered it as it was accidental damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alternatively get the early wiper arm refurbished. Depronman does it properly, I did it with rivnuts and polythene washers (for a while).

My screen also had the scrape and my insurance covered it as it was accidental damage.

Thanks for the advice. Wow they are pricey. But cheaper than changing the windscreen everyone month :)
Anyone on here happen to have one for sale?

Do you know if it is the wiper arm that is the issue, or the old style wiper blade? As I have a aero blade on my old style wiper arm. I don't think the scuffs were caused by the aero blade, but by the old blade. But honestly can't be sure.

It's usually a problem with the arm "collapsing" against the screen, there is a rivet underneath the arm that does the scraping.

The later style Aero arms are much less troublesome when it comes to this (though really bad ones do sometimes do it).

There are usually some available on the forum for around the £15-20 for an arm (dependent on condition), just check the Marketplace every now and then. But yes, the new Audi ones are frighteningly expensive :)

Perhaps stupid question, how can one tell if one has an aero or non-aero wiper? I've googled aero wiper blades and searched on here but I'm none the wiser.

Perhaps stupid question, how can one tell if one has an aero or non-aero wiper? I've googled aero wiper blades and searched on here but I'm none the wiser.
Aero is flat:

Non aero has a big Spring thing on the back of it (very technical term)

Aero arm has a spindle pin. Older arm has a big massive hook.

You can get a crossover aeroblade that fits the hook type arm but the actual arm sagging the carrier against the glass was what wrecked my screen and the aero crossover blade was smaller so would have been worse.

An easy job and 15mins.

Go for Deproman's upgrade, it comes back even better than the brand new one Audi would sell you and at a fraction of the cost. I got one done and wouldn't hesitate to get another one done if ever needed

on the old style 'hook fitting' it is normally the bottom of the plastic cover that scrapes on the glass, this is due to rivet/pivot pin wear.
The Aero wiper are suffers from the same pivot pin wear as the older style, but is still a worthwhile upgrade as the aero wiper blade is far superior

The problem with the wiper arms is more method and materials of manufacture than being bad design
The pivot pins/rivets are made of steel and the design lets water in which rusts the pivot pin then causes massive wear on the bushings in the ends of the two arms, this then introduces slop and due to the force of the wiper blade to glass the mounting for the wiper blade gets near to the glass and eventually touches it -thats game over for the screen.

I ream out the bushes in the wiper arm ends to get them back to round, then machine custom pins from stainless steel and add an helical oil groove, once assembled the wear is eliminated and should not reoccur in a hurry due to the removal of the rust. Just keep a few drops of oil on the pivots.
I also made a plastic cover for the Aero wiper (which Audi never did) this keeps the water out of the pivots preventing the oil being washed away, plus it looks better (less naked) than the std aero wiper end

cheers,
Paul

Hi,

This thread is of interest to me as the screen on our A2 is scratched and badly refracts the light at night.

Additionally, the performance of the wiper is poor though it was replaced in the not-too-distant past.

I have just checked and it seems as though we have the old style hook fitment.

Firstly, how can I tell if it is the wiper and not the blade having collapsed?

Secondly, do you, Paul, send out refurbished units in exchange for perished items?

Attachments

• CD0313C8-55CC-401D-9F57-E1EBE478CB16.jpeg
    CD0313C8-55CC-401D-9F57-E1EBE478CB16.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 284
Hi,

This thread is of interest to me as the screen on our A2 is scratched and badly refracts the light at night.

Additionally, the performance of the wiper is poor though it was replaced in the not-too-distant past.

I have just checked and it seems as though we have the old style hook fitment.

Firstly, how can I tell if it is the wiper and not the blade having collapsed?

Secondly, do you, Paul, send out refurbished units in exchange for perished items?
Paul may not see your question if he does not read your post (you did not tag or use reply). If no response from Paul after a while send him a PM with your question.

Andy

Totally agree always better to tag the person that you are partially looking to respond and or PM them
I refurbish your own wiper assy
However I do have a spare old style wiper so could send this out on a deposit basis until I get your and then refund the deposit
This does mean that you are never without a wiper assy
Unfortunately I don’t have a spare aero wiper assy
Cheers Paul

The underside of my Original ( 2003, 53 ) Wiper Arm did start touching the Screen. As a temporary fix I stuck a self adhesive Velcro Dot on the bit of the Arm that touched the Screen. Then gave in and bought a New Arm.

depronman, How much do you charge to recondition the Later ( Aero ) Wiper Arm please ?

I bought a 30” non Genuine but Direct Fit Refillable Aero Wiper Blade on eBay for £9.99 Delivered just to try it. It is fine. I then bought some of the Refills from the same Seller. 2 x 32” Refills for £5.99 Delivered then fitted them to Genuine Audi Aero Wiper Blades I had kept. The replacement Refills are very easy to fit

£30 for the refurb which includes reaming the bushing back to round and making custom stainless steel pivots/ rivets
Finishing with a coat of paint
I also make a cover for the end where the rivets are which looks better and keeps the water out of the pivots this is £10 and fitted free after the painting
Cheers. Paul

£30 for the refurb which includes reaming the bushing back to round and making custom stainless steel pivots/ rivets
Finishing with a coat of paint
I also make a cover for the end where the rivets are which looks better and keeps the water out of the pivots this is £10 and fitted free after the painting
Cheers. Paul

I'm pretty sure I've got a knackered aero wiper on the current breaker Paul. You can have it and then you will have one in reserve.

Back