Wiring up heated washer jets?

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
Morning all

I'll be putting pine green into daily use by the new year hopefully and one thing I want to sort is heated washerjets.

I've got a later style scuttle and jets here and have no issues with doing the swap but electrics aren't my strong point.

From a bit of reading on the forum, Tom has confirmed that the heated jets are on an ignition live only.

My question is, can anyone think of an ignition live within the engine bay area that I could take a feed from? Is the wiper motor on an ignition live?

Morning all

I'll be putting pine green into daily use by the new year hopefully and one thing I want to sort is heated washerjets.

I've got a later style scuttle and jets here and have no issues with doing the swap but electrics aren't my strong point.

From a bit of reading on the forum, Tom has confirmed that the heated jets are on an ignition live only.

My question is, can anyone think of an ignition live within the engine bay area that I could take a feed from? Is the wiper motor on an ignition live?
Morning Steve,

Off the top of my head I don't know of an ignition live within the engine bay. That said, what you're trying to achieve is one of the easier retrofits just like the front fog lights. Have a look at this thread, specifically Post #15:

On the wiring diagram is shows that the ignition live feed for the heater washer jets are from pin #3 on the blue connector passengers A pillar (T10F):

Heated Wsher Jet Retrofit 2.png

Taking the feed through the bulkhead to the engine bay is simple enough, which should be easy to identify with the glove box removed. Whilst you're taking this Pin #3 feed through, you could also take a good earth feed from the passengers A pillar. As you know there are a few other areas where you can get a good earth from within the engine bay, the choice is yours Sir.

Hope this helps you out.

Kind regards,

Tom

It's embarrassing how bad I am with this considering i'm reasonably competent with the mechanical side. I see from the thread you linked that it said the heated washer jets take a feed from fuse number 33. Does that mean that I could just piggy back off fuse 33 for the feed and find an earth in the engine bay? I know this is a bit flintstone but would it technically work?

It's embarrassing how bad I am with this considering i'm reasonably competent with the mechanical side. I see from the thread you linked that it said the heated washer jets take a feed from fuse number 33. Does that mean that I could just piggy back off fuse 33 for the feed and find an earth in the engine bay? I know this is a bit flintstone but would it technically work?
Hi Steve,

Simple answer to your question is yes, however 'Flintstone' it may be. If you're considering taking a piggyback feed from the fusebox area through the bulkhead it might be just as well to take it from the passengers side from the correct connector. Im sure you'll have a correct pin from previous breakers that you could extend for this purpose.

Happy to help with further information as you've certainly helped me out over the years. Have you got the male and female connectors with a little bit of loom to start with.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Steve,

Simple answer to your question is yes, however 'Flintstone' it may be. If you're considering taking a piggyback feed from the fusebox area through the bulkhead it might be just as well to take it from the passengers side from the correct connector. Im sure you'll have a correct pin from previous breakers that you could extend for this purpose.

Happy to help with further information as you've certainly helped me out over the years. Have you got the male and female connectors with a little bit of loom to start with.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thanks Tom

Yes I have a section of loom on both jets.

Thanks Tom

Yes I have a section of loom on both jets.
Perfect Steve,

The installation should be very easy then, just a 2 wire operation that needs to pass through one of the rubber grommets in the bulkhead concealed by the glove box, easily accessed once said glove box is removed.

To answer your original question though: Referring to the wiring diagram above, the power to the wiper motor (V) comes from the wiper relay (J31) which transits through the same blue connector (T10F) at the passengers A pillar. The best way forward is to take the feed from this blue connector.

Kind regards,

Tom

The heated washer jets can be earthed to the same point as the wiper motor ( left headlight earth point ) so joining to the earth lead in the wiper plug would be easy to achieve.

The OEM wiring for the washer jets does come from the glove box end of the bulkhead.

Last edited:
Evening all,

I sent a picture of the connector in question to Steve earlier but for anyone else’s benefit it’s below:

0BE1494A-F334-4877-B06E-3D388E87B298.jpeg

Please do excuse the untidy footwell, this is from one of the fleet that had an aftermarket handsfree module that required removal at the same time as retrofitting a factory loom for Electric Lumbar Support.

Kind regards,

Tom

What activates the heated jets as surely you don't want them on every time you turn on the ignition?

Would have thought they would be best wired into a temperature activated circuit like the webasto (appreciate only the early A2 has the webasto)

What activates the heated jets as surely you don't want them on every time you turn on the ignition?

Morning Tom,

The current draw from the heated jets is low and is nothing to worry about from a power drain perspective.

Or better still the heated rear window and mirrors? 🤔

Morning Neil,

Whilst I think tapping into the timed circuit for the mirrors and rear screen is a reasonable solution, I also believe that there is nothing wrong with the way Audi intended the jets to be permanently on with the ignition.

The jets are in the elements more so than that of the mirrors and rear screen. In the colder conditions we're experiencing right now certainly suggests it would be better if they are heated for the whole duration of a journey.

With the information already provided on this thread, I really don't see why anyone couldn't conduct this retrofit by utilising the feeds as per a factory installation. If any ignition feed is taken through the bulkhead, it may as well originate from the correct point as per the wiring schematics. Just my take on it though as there are multiple ways to achieve a desired outcome.

Kind regards,

Tom

Morning Tom,

The current draw from the heated jets is low and is nothing to worry about from a power drain perspective.

Morning Neil,

Whilst I think tapping into the timed circuit for the mirrors and rear screen is a reasonable solution, I also believe that there is nothing wrong with the way Audi intended the jets to be permanently on with the ignition.

The jets are in the elements more so than that of the mirrors and rear screen. In the colder conditions we're experiencing right now certainly suggests it would be better if they are heated for the whole duration of a journey.

With the information already provided on this thread, I really don't see why anyone couldn't conduct this retrofit by utilising the feeds as per a factory installation. If any ignition feed is taken through the bulkhead, it may as well originate from the correct point as per the wiring schematics. Just my take on it though as there are multiple ways to achieve a desired outcome.

Kind regards,

Tom
Agreed Tom.

You know me, I'm all for keeping things factory original and as designed/intended.

I'm also very much about common sense and am just surprised Audi designed it this way as when it's not cold, in the summer months particularly it seems strange to me that the washer jets would be permanently heated when they aren't needed and could easily be on a switched control (to me common sense would suggest the heated rear screen/mirrors circuit) to be used as and when needed.

I'm sure there must be another good reason that I'm not aware of as i know the Audi engineers are far cleverer than me! 😂👍

You know me, I'm all for keeping things factory original and as designed/intended.
Hi Neil,

This is why I suggest only conducting this enhancement as per the wiring diagram, it’s worked for some 20 years so why change it.

I'm also very much about common sense and am just surprised Audi designed it this way as when it's not cold, in the summer months particularly it seems strange to me that the washer jets would be permanently heated when they aren't needed and could easily be on a switched control (to me common sense would suggest the heated rear screen/mirrors circuit) to be used as and when needed.

Your questioning is very reasoned and makes perfect sense to me. My first 2x A2s both had heated washer jets so never had any frozen moments in any weather conditions.

The only time I’ve had the jets freeze and not work as intended was during a journey in Project 250 which left the factory without heated washer jets. The jets were actually fine on the driveway but the added windchill didn’t help. Putting the jets through freezing temperatures on the local A roads see any residual heat from the engine taken away which is probably why they froze. I guess having them on continuously avoids this windchill factor. Of course ensure the washer bottle has a winter mix really helps. Not an issue in the warmer month of the year though.

Kind regards,

Tom

Reactions: A2Z
Nice little permanent luxury, rmeebr the days of kettles and scrapers and waiting ten minutes with engine running. Especially with British leyland cars, quicker to walk. I'm in Finland right now and lots of the cars are audis, so they know how to build a car for the cold. -27 yesterday a nice warm -16 today.

Nice little permanent luxury, rmeebr the days of kettles and scrapers and waiting ten minutes with engine running. Especially with British leyland cars, quicker to walk. I'm in Finland right now and lots of the cars are audis, so they know how to build a car for the cold. -27 yesterday a nice warm -16 today.
And I bet they are going about their business as normal.

And I bet they are going about their business as normal.
Completely yes, the coaches drive the same even down hill, just smoother on brakes but all the uk people look at each other and say "can't believe it". All in the tyres! Saw some A4 winter wheels like giant pepper pots. Pretty impressive place, Shame about the freak cold burst got the real experience though.

Back