Wobbly drivers door

Bee

Hi everyone, I have read all of the posts regarding door strap replacement, but wanted some advice before I order.
My drivers door seems to sort of wobble when opening and closing, the movement being most visible at the bottom front corner which almost moves in a circle?

Does this sound like I need a new door strap, or something else?

2004 1.4SE

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, I have read all of the posts regarding door strap replacement, but wanted some advice before I order.
My drivers door seems to sort of wobble bywhen opening and closing, the movement being most visible at the bottom front corner which almost moves in a circle?

2004 1.4SE

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like door strap. Ours has started doing the exact same thing. A wee bit oil on the check strap may improve it slightly till the new part fitted.

Oil will not make a difference as its the rollers or the rivets that hold the frame with the rollers in place that have come loose, as so you shouldn't really oil or grease these as its an alloy bar on nylon so self lubing

Phil

My drivers door seems to sort of wobble when opening and closing, the movement being most visible at the bottom front corner which almost moves in a circle?

I don't think you need anything other than a Torx bit to tighten things up. If I'm reading you correctly, the bottom front corner 'wobbles'? A broken door check strap doesn't cause any corners to do that, it makes a cracking noise and is audible clearly from within the door car where it is (the middle silver square strap). It sounds more like your lower door hinge is loose. Ive had check strap done as well as the lower hinge, http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?19893-If-you-can-do-one-thing-today try wiggle the door top to bottom and observe exactly where the movement is coming from. It is a little hard to tell especially I don't quite get 'moves in a circle'...

I don't think you need anything other than a Torx bit to tighten things up. If I'm reading you correctly, the bottom front corner 'wobbles'? A broken door check strap doesn't cause any corners to do that, it makes a cracking noise and is audible clearly from within the door car where it is (the middle silver square strap). It sounds more like your lower door hinge is loose. Ive had check strap done as well as the lower hinge, http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?19893-If-you-can-do-one-thing-today try wiggle the door top to bottom and observe exactly where the movement is coming from. It is a little hard to tell especially I don't quite get 'moves in a circle'...

Hi what size is the Torx that you would require to fit the door hinge ???

Oil will not make a difference as its the rollers or the rivets that hold the frame with the rollers in place that have come loose, as so you shouldn't really oil or grease these as its an alloy bar on nylon so self lubing

Thanks Phil, this will prompt me to stop being lazy and sort it. The oil I applied did reduce the irritiating clicking though. Will check the lower hinge is tight as well; its funny I didnt associate the 2 when Roy posted about checking this - probably because I've had the hinge repair done and the doors were off and refitted a couple of years back.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Here is a hastily shot video to try and show what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbW7tMf34x0

I can see the torx bolt where the hinge attaches to the car body, but not where it is connected to the door - it is internal from what I can see?

I took the door card off to examine the check strap, and the rivets weren't loose....

Thanks again.

This is something I've been meaning to do for some time and the part number for the strap, 8Z0 837 249, is quoted in the pdf. However the Russian VAG catalogue i'm looking at seems to imply this part number is for the complete assembly including the strap, bracket, rollers and springs etc.

Or is there a separate part number for the rollers?

Cheers,

Andy B

Hi what size is the Torx that you would require to fit the door hinge ???

Just checked the bottom hinge and it was loose. Its a Torx 40. Also noticed the torx heads need some TLC after the cracking hinges were fixed, some paint has been scraped off and the heads are rusting a wee bit.

Tightening this up has made the check strap issue more noticeable, I wonder if the knackered strap puts pressure on the hinges and they loosten as a result, thus getting the 'circling' effect the OP mentions ( as I had this I know excatly what he means!)

Ah well, Ada's first ever problem to speak of really. Not bad for an 8 yr old.

This is something I've been meaning to do for some time and the part number for the strap, 8Z0 837 249, is quoted in the pdf. However the Russian VAG catalogue i'm looking at seems to imply this part number is for the complete assembly including the strap, bracket, rollers and springs etc.

Or is there a separate part number for the rollers?

Cheers,

Andy B

That's the right part number from the pdf. Just ordered one and picking it up tomorrow (£20.21inc VAT) This will be my first effort at following a 'how to' - just as well its an easy one! :p

I just wanted to say thank you for the replies and advice.

I managed to tighten the hinge bolt yesterday - it was so loose that I could turn it with my finger!

One word of advice for anyone else considering this; leave the foam hinge surround in place at the bottom of the hinge rather than taking it out completely, because when the small torx bolt (T45) that you are using falls out - it can't fall deep within the door...........:mad:

I have ordered the strap, and will fit it anyway - as it feels quite notchy, and I believe that this is the cause of the bolt loosening in the first place.

glad to be of help and your problem sorted.

The issue with the check strap is the metal rivets (2 of them) that mount the plastic stoppers give up after a while. Then the stoppers positions don't check properly or completely give up depending on how badly the rivets are broken. If you have the door car out, you can see how it works and how it 'should' work if not broken.

That's the right part number from the pdf. Just ordered one and picking it up tomorrow (£20.21inc VAT) This will be my first effort at following a 'how to' - just as well its an easy one! :p

Update - just followed the 'how to' and replaced the check strap. ( Thanks to A2Driver for a great guide) Now the drivers door is opening and closing like new again. It really is easy and 15 minutes will be about right for time to do the actual job once you gather the tools together out the garage. No broken clips either, I was very careful when releasing the door card - so shouldnt be an issue if you take your time.

Anyone with a clicky hinge should go for it. Its pimps easy!! :)

Right - what will I tackle next!! ;)

Last edited:
Old thread I know but this was the nearest thing to a problem I have got regarding the bottom Hinge on the drivers side door.
It seems the hinge has come loose where it is bolted to the door itself and having mentioned this to Depronman he suggested that I will have to remove the door card and the aluminum sheet so the bolt or bolts can be accessed. Im not doubting his word but was wondering if there was another alternative to removing the Ali panel.

Scrap that last post by me............after a bit of poking about I found there is no need to remove anything, Just a case of using the correct size tork bit and finding the bolt behind the foam insert covering the hinge, push it to one side and tighten the bolt up.............door is fine now. It just goes to show that you can over think things sometimes.

Reactions: chb
Back