Worth getting Lupo diesel as donor?

MacKWT

Hi All!

I live in a place with very limited supply of parts for the A2. Think only another two maybe three A2s on the island. Today saw an old VW Lupo, (‘Y’ reg) with the 1.4 diesel engine going for spares. Engine seems good. Any thoughts - are these engines largely interchangeable for parts? Or is it not worth it? Nothing else on the wee Lupo would fit I’m assuming - its a shame to see it scrapped, but front subframe is gone hence not economical to repair.

Should say of course that its a 75bhp TDI I have, 04 plate.

On the other hand - the 75 seems to just keep going, so I could simply be storing up parts that are never used...

Any wisdom of the chaps and chapesses would be appreciated.

Lupo's have a big "Youff" following and many get driven hard even dirty diesels LOL...………..if you know the owner or how they've looked after it, it would help.

Nope - dont know the owner - it was for sale on eBay a few months ago - I was outbid! But I’m guessing the winning bidder didn’t check the geography - as its now for sale on a local Facebook forum, for the grand sum of £50....

Nope - dont know the owner - it was for sale on eBay a few months ago - I was outbid! But I’m guessing the winning bidder didn’t check the geography - as its now for sale on a local Facebook forum, for the grand sum of £50....
Scrap cars fetch £80-100 around here so worth a punt..

The engine block itself should be interchangeable, I’m unsure about the head, I would have thought so. Other than that the Lupe shares very few parts with the A2. The Polo 9N and Fabia 6Y share many more components with the A2, so would be a better bet if you see one.

The engine will an AMF if it's a 1.4. Gearbox will be EXB or ESB.

RAB

Many thanks gents for all the very helpful feedback. Forgive my utter ignorance. How do I determine if my engine is an AMF or other variant and what are the differences?-

Many thanks gents for all the very helpful feedback. Forgive my utter ignorance. How do I determine if my engine is an AMF or other variant and what are the differences?-

What year is it? And is it a 75 or a 90?

Engine code will be on the build sticker either beside the battery, in the service book or also noted in the V5C registration document. AMF was stopped around 2003 though I have an 04 with AMF.
Main engine same, differences in EGR, ASV control and others, more information here..

Last edited:
Helpful responses one and all. Will double check in the morning and let you know. Only had the car a few months but the support from here is first class. Thanks also for not making me feel too much of a noob!

There's no such thing as a OEM Lupo with a BHC. AMF to the end, just the same as an A2 1.2Tdi (ANY). The Lupo 3L switched to an AYZ from an ANY in 2001.

RAB

But if the A2 in question has a BHC, the Lupo won't.

RAB

Back