Wow! What a difference a few weeks makes (mpg)

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I've gone from one of my best mpg (for many a year) to my worst over two 1/2 tank full - both measured to the red line buzzer.

Had a full service before Christmas and then did a motorway trip to Heathrow and got 61.1 mpg

Then many weeks of short drives in bitterly cold weather with fans on, sometimes heated rear screens and occasionally heated front screen, and so only got 38.4 mpg

Graph here
http://www.alancooper.me.uk/A2/Audi_A2_TDi_75-90_MPG_Chart_2005-2013.jpg

Data in the Google spreadsheet (see signature) columns H & N

OK, I realise that the red line alert is probably not accurate over single tank fills, especially partial ones.

Over the years driving journeys have varied from few long journeys each week to short daily commutes to the station. The 5th gear ratio change has not made that much real difference when combined with the remap but it was done initially for my trip to Sweden where I got an overall 61.9 mpg

My Passat 110tdi dropped 9mpg on the work commute before I switched the seats or rear window on, so I can quite see how your mpg dropped.
A bit curious that there hasn't been an improvement with the 5th gear/remap, but on other hand it can be viewed as having more oomph, more relaxed cruising and no mpg penalty.
Interesting to see it as a graph, makes me think I should do that with mine (I've got months of receipts to add to my log :( ).

Short trips versus long trips makes a huge difference to MPG (even 'a quick nip to the shops' on the weekend will drop your tank mpg). And the effect is even worse in winter since the engine takes longer to warm up.

Last edited:
On long journeys, I get stellar fuel economy, but my average will never reach that of MikeMars simply because it gets too many cold starts during an average week. This does make a huge difference.

Tom

My last tank was my worst in a long time - 49MPG according to Fuelly. Mind you part of that was because of having it in the garage trying to source the oil leak, so no doubt they will have had the engine running in order to see where it was coming from. Even so, it's a big drop!

I think the 5th gear mod has done something to improve MPG, but perhaps not quite as dramatically as adding in a whole extra 6th gear ratio like MikeMars and Timmus have done :)

I know, I should really have a diesel with the miles I do :(
I won't work out how much it would have saved me ;)

I know, I should really have a diesel with the miles I do :(
I won't work out how much it would have saved me ;)

If you know it'd save you money before you've done the maths, then don't do the maths as it'll just hurt! Get out there and buy a TDI. :)

A bit curious that there hasn't been an improvement with the 5th gear/remap, but on other hand it can be viewed as having more oomph, more relaxed cruising and no mpg penalty.
Actually it's dropped!! I've updated the graph.

It was fine on the Swedish Road Trip. Remap gave more power when needed with a full load and the 5th gear change gave a more relaxing drive and overall a slightly better mpg (61.1). But since then I've done less long journeys and that means stuck more in 4th gear (plus the occasional letting the A2 rip ;).

With higher insurance (certainly less chance to shop around) I've occasionally thought about removing both the higher 5th gear and the remap.

What's your dual carriageway and motorway cruising speed, Alan? With the longer 5th I was invariably getting 75ish miles per gallon once at my cruising speed of a true 60mph (63ish on the average car's speedo). With the standard 5th, I was usually in the high 60s.
There's no doubt that the longer 5th's ability to save you money is closely linked to your use of the car. Given that the majority of my miles are done with cruise control set, the longer 5th saved me money, but there are plenty for whom it doesn't.

Tom

Last edited:
Actually it's dropped!! I've updated the graph.

It was fine on the Swedish Road Trip. Remap gave more power when needed with a full load and the 5th gear change gave a more relaxing drive and overall a slightly better mpg (61.1). But since then I've done less long journeys and that means stuck more in 4th gear (plus the occasional letting the A2 rip ;).

If you ever find yourself in 4th, when previously you would have been on the old 5th, that's the time that the 5th gear upgrade is costing you fuel. Overall it depends on how much time you spend in the new 5th (saving fuel) versus 4th-instead-of-5th (costing fuel).

With higher insurance (certainly less chance to shop around) I've occasionally thought about removing both the higher 5th gear and the remap.

I found that modified car insurance was actually slightly cheaper for me.

How much does the longer-5th mod cost, approximately? I'm going to be averaging around 12k p.a. with around 10k of these taking place on the motorway.

Already made my mind up to get the Stealth remap done.

Cheers,
Hedge

How much does the longer-5th mod cost, approximately? I'm going to be averaging around 12k p.a. with around 10k of these taking place on the motorway.

Already made my mind up to get the Stealth remap done.

Cheers,
Hedge

How much time do you spend at 70mph or over?

At 10k on M'way sound sensible move. Skipton did mine so best to ask him for a price. Stealth can do it as well. Best top up the gearbox oil as well - mine was 1/2 empty

At 10k on M'way sound sensible move. Skipton did mine so best to ask him for a price. Stealth can do it as well. Best top up the gearbox oil as well - mine was 1/2 empty
Ok, thanks for the advice. Shall probably ask Stealth for a price for the two and weigh up the benefits of the taller 5th gear vs my annual mileage & how long I intend to keep the car.
Cheers, Hedge

With 10,000 miles per year spent in top gear, I'd definitely get the longer 5th.
All the oil is drained from the 'box to do the mod anyway, so you'll get fresh gearbox oil as part of the process. I'd use the latest BlueMotion oil, as it can only help your efficiency. Audi part number: G 060 726 A2. (The 'A2' at the end of the part number is just a coincidence)

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
With 10,000 miles per year spent in top gear, I'd definitely get the longer 5th.
All the oil is drained from the 'box to do the mod anyway, so you'll get fresh gearbox oil as part of the process. I'd use the latest BlueMotion oil, as it can only help your efficiency. Audi part number: G 060 726 A2. (The 'A2' at the end of the part number is just a coincidence)Cheers,Tom
Stealth quoted me 400 squids for the 5th gear mod. Such an amount buys about 4000 miles of diesel which, to me, sounds a lot. So, for now anyway, I'm sticking to just the remap. That's 225+VAT, hence (still) £270. Goes in on the 26th.
Cheers, Hedge

Back