Wow.

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Fuelled up my little A2 last night - £46. The lady next to me also filled up her Land Rover Discovery. I was behind her in the queue to the checkout and her fill up cost £110. I was a bit shocked to be honest! I guess driving our frugal little beasts insulates us quite a bit against the escalating costs of fuel, and it just makes me even more pleased to be an A2 owner in this current climate...

I had exactly the same thing last Jan. I was blown into the weeds by a Touareg being hammered down the white line of a single carriage A road, only to pull up next to it in the next petrol station a couple of miles further down the road. I filled my A2 and was leaving to pay before the Touareg owner had finished fuelling!! He was fully laden with luggage and maybe 3 or 4 other folk inside. I noticed his pump as I walked past and it was well over £100 !! I just giggled to myself and went to pay my £39. ;)

Funny, guess what two cars we have! Yup an A2 TDi and Land Rover Discovery.
Discovery is almost double everything the A2 is. Double Engine Size, Double Cylinders, double seats (almost) and double fuel consumption. Believe me the range of the Discovery is only the same as the A2 but takes 80 litres!! Tax is £30 and £460!!

However, would I change the Discovery?? No, completely different to the A2. For Short Journeys (and just 4 of us) the A2 wins. For Long Journeys (and theres usually 5 of us) there is just no contest and no other car that can compete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Owned the A2 since 2003, I've almost forgotten how small the fuel tank is compared to other cars! I normally fill up 30L which is about £40 on v-power these days. The penny dropped when I filled up my new car in the weekend, it can probably cover similar distance as my A2 on a single tank but cost nearly twice as much! The Alfa 159 I was seriously thinking of getting has a 95L tank, that's, ouch ouch ouch, £130 to fill up (ok, you do get a lot of miles as well)!

My S2 had a 15 gallon tank and I'd get 300-320miles out of that. Mind you it did tend to reward being driven like you'd stolen it :)

Off on a tangent for a mo if I may, I'm picking up my 1.4 petrol this week, is it worth running that on v-power or does it only benefit the 1.6?

I've been mostly using v-power on my 1.4 petrol. Failing that, Tesco 99. But my pre-cat lambda is playing up when I start changing fuel (it didn't like tesco standard, didn't like the 102 in Germany). What I find is ever so slightly more torque so there's one up hill stretch I can just about keep 4th instead of dropping to 3rd. More responsive and I think more mpg overall but I've not subjectively measured. I use it mainly for the pleasure.

Dan, I think my 996 can do slightly more than your S2 on 15 gallon of straight v-power diet, but I didn't steal it (lol!) so I've yet to see the maximum rewards ;-p

I've got used to £22 fill ups - on the bike!

Was a bit of a shock when fuelling up for the A2 Curry social the other week which came to £50!!

Cheers,

Mike

I think if I still owned the S2 it wouldn't get driven much/ at all given how much it costs in fuel just to run the thing at tick-over, ha ha!

I'm with you Mike my scooter (for work) has just gone up to 8 QUID to fill it up its an outrage lol.

Last year a friend at work asked if i could pick a car up with him i said no probs, he said i'll put the fuel in yours and get you dinner. well it cost him £11 for my fuel and £6 for my dinner and he put £20 in his car theat he was picking up (it was empty) and just on the drive home his fuel light came back on. My £11 was for there and back Grimsby to Halifax and back and his was just back Merc S320. He was gutted LMAO

Phil

im the same i had a BMW compact 325 which was a 62L was putting in £75 to fill the tank and it goes just as quick :mad:

Recently brought a A2 1.6 FSI and Filled up the A2 from near empty cost me £44 at £128.9 on 24/11 I was well happy :):D

Also i still have just over the 1/4 tank mark so far i've done 230Miles 60% city driving properly i am liking the A2 just disappointed i don't have the computer to display the MPG i have the older computer on the A2's

I'm with you Mike my scooter (for work) has just gone up to 8 QUID to fill it up its an outrage lol.

Last year a friend at work asked if i could pick a car up with him i said no probs, he said i'll put the fuel in yours and get you dinner. well it cost him £11 for my fuel and £6 for my dinner and he put £20 in his car theat he was picking up (it was empty) and just on the drive home his fuel light came back on. My £11 was for there and back Grimsby to Halifax and back and his was just back Merc S320. He was gutted LMAO

Phil

My latest fill up was £14 for the bike :)

I notice today the 3p increase January has been scrapped

......at £128.9 on 24/11 I was well happy...

That'll be pretty expensive for over a hundred pounds a liter! ;-p

128.9p is good price, but I suppose that's standard fuel? You should consider using premium stuff for your FSI.

The A2 remains the car of choice for me. Cheap to run, insurance, tax, service, flexible.....a consummate performer.

Well, I usually pay for A2 around 40 EUR and get out of it around 450 km (a lot of them city driving). On the other hand Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI costs me around 65 EUR to fill it up, but I get our of it easily more than 1000 km, mainly around 1100 km. So a cost per km is much lover in Skoda... Would be nice to have A2 TDI, but than my wife would not be happy, because I would be using it all the time :).

My ur quattro has a 20 gallon tank ...... i try to only half fill it, somehow it doesn't seem so bad then, and you get slightly better mpg by not carrying the extra 10 gallons

Yes, an interesting thread ..... BUT, have you noticed that there is a hefty difference between diesel and petrol? I mean, diesel @ 139.9 p.p.l. and petrol @ 128.9 p.p.l.? Now only a few weeks ago, in Luxembourg, diesel was 1.18 Euro per litre and petrol 1.28 Euro per litre!!!! Diesel is consistantly cheaper all over Europe! Now I know that in Holland, the annual car tax is much higher for diesel cars (and L.P.G., for that matter ) but a lower diesel price helps to keep delivery costs down and therefore shop prices. The duty is the same in the U.K. for both fuels. Distallation costs are higher for diesel and the % yield from a barrel of oil is lower than for petrol ..... maybe refinery's are not geared-up for the increasing volume of diesel cars on the roads? I just don't think that a 11p difference is justified? What do you think? Oh, I have read that the differential is going to widen over the next few years!!! Oh well, there is 15% more energy in the same volume of diesel over petrol, and £30 per year road-fund helps, too, I suppose. Still affects the ultimate economy of these cars, though!

I remember a few years ago, ok maybe more than a few, diesel was much cheaper than petrol, until diesel car sales realy took off.

Back