Your A2 plans for 2021?

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
With all this doom and gloom about what's happening in the world, how about something more cheery?

What are your A2 plans for 2021?

Mine are:

- Finish off Dune2 (few bits and bobs) to then get it sold.

- Will replace this with a TDI90 once I can find one.

- If the virus is under control, organise a couple of get together's in the summer.

Over to you!

Good idea for a thread Steve! Mine are:

1) Get Merlin back from my brother-in-law as my permanent car (as opposed to one I have access to), in time for the warmer weather when the pepper pot summer wheels will go back on;

2) Work out how to marry up Merlin and @timmus for the SideGuard installation and also ColourDIS if things have gone particularly well at work as I also plan them to!

3) Might be a pipe dream, but find and purchase a seat of platinum leather (or leather and alcantara) heated seats - either SE or sport, to return to the colour scheme that @Special edition installed when he had the heated SE platinum leathers installed in 2015 which were subsequently swapped out for Swing grey sports.

EDIT: Totally forgotten these:

4) Install @2work’s handywork x2 - the alloy footrest (complete with @depronman’s inserts, plus the beautiful job he’s made of installing my new Bluetooth auto headlamp switch with coming / leaving home functionality

5) Swap out the headlamp bulbs for the new Philips RacingVision 200% ones and pray I get more than 12 months of life out of them! Also swap out the flickering interior bulb and ditto the passenger side vent that has lost its control tab.

6) Fit the aero mod pieces procured from @CreweAudi and then investigate how to improve fuel consumption at motorway speeds (currently only getting 53 / 54ish mpg at 70mph)

Last edited:
My plans are hopefully a trouble free year of running... :D

But also replace or fix/polish the drivers side headlight unit.

Replace the other cup holder

Replace the Concert tape deck with a CD unit.

Maybe convert it to an EV, but certainly spend most of the year working out how that would work.

Having taken a deposit on my Cobalt one, the sale will be completed and it will be collected by its new owner @MrDCG once restrictions allow. The spare space it leaves will hopefully be taken up by a campervan before prices go stratospheric in the Spring. Meanwhile, since I've already had my other two upgraded and fettled pretty much to where I want them this year, my only plans are to enjoy driving them! Already doing exactly that with my Crystal one, but hopefully the Storm will get out more than it did this year, particularly to attend some socials ?

Find a nice tdi 'for my daughter' and enjoy fixing/working on it.
Take my Nothelle S2 back to its birth place in Germany for a tour.
Get my Ur back from paint and start the 're build.
Look for a nice BMW GS and get out for some nice long rides.
As little diy around the house as possible.

1) Replace the intercooler on Tonka with the one @Proghound kindly let me have once Covid restrictions allow a visit to my father
2) Make the now long overdue visit up to @2work towers as he has kindly offered to assist in fitting and coding the RNS-E 193 I managed to source.
3) Hopefully meet in person a few more of the lovely folks who have been so helpful on this forum over the my 1st year of A2 ownership.

Last edited:
... water pump and cambelt were done yesterday.
So: Geometry. Need to talk to the mechanic about time and effort and measurements.
Then it's about finishing that damned audio install... and that's about it. Mostly "done" for the time being....

This year I (finally, after a longer period of time) started doing some upgrades and it's been fun :) Looking forward to do some more
Next year plans
- gearbox rebuild
- replace driver's door (cracked)
- new summer tyres
- replace rear locks (bad microswitches, no safe detection)
Once all of the above is finished I'd like to do
- electric rear windows retrofit
- sound deadening
- upgrade speakers

Last edited:
TDI90
  • Complete the sale (sooner rather than later hopefully)

TDi75
  • Wash (around March maybe)
  • Find the cause of the occasional dull knock when going over bumps (sooner than above)
  • Shampoo the seats (on a hot sunny day)
  • Get spare key coded (not managed it in last 9 years ...)
:)

Last year I think I said something about fitting an MYP - although that was in hope rather than expectation and I didn't expect I was going to get it done, especially as the year started like it did. Out of a complete fluke a PTW came up at about half the price I anticipated, and I got it fitted for about half the price I anticipated. So I have to look for something else to do this year. see below for last year's plans, and what I actually achieved.

On this car (my grey BHC), then I have a collection of parts coming together for 312mm front brakes - which is project part 1. I have a spare BHC turbo / manifold combination I'm thinking of sending away for a complete refurb and conversion into something a bit more hybrid-ish. I have a set of Cupra Tdi injectors that also need to be refurbished. Then the plan would be to somehow get the turbo, some other engine parts (oil chain and associated gubbins, a belt and oil pump change) and the injectors all put together at the same time by somewhere competent along with a new map to make use of the parts conservatively. Probably need to think about a slightly stronger clutch, so these would tend to suggest a trip to Stealth or Darkside might be necessary.

Apart from that, I have a Pure600 that I want to get fitted - as well as sorting out the awful interference on AM (I think it is related to the electric heater as the loud pinging noise dissipates when the Eco switch is on and it is worse when it is cold).

For the other cars - keep on trucking. Set of injectors to refurb and fit to Cosmo in the spring just to deal with components that must be well worn (286k and counting).

At some point could also do with sending wiper arms to @depronman to start getting these back to full health. No excuses this year - my "temporary" wiper fix from 2018 on our AUA car is still in situ and working (!)

.. aha 31 Dec 2019 :

>>04 Tdi - rear brake drum casings ; start accumulating collection of bits for rear shocks and various rubber bits (bump stops, bushes, spring pads >>etc) that need renovating Done. Plan to buy (if not necessarily fit this year) a 6-speed gearbox when I establish which one to get that is compatible >>enough, Done probably to do at the same time as the oil pump chain not done, plans developing arms and legs.

>>02 Tdi - Replace driver's door not done, but fixed existing check strap & loose hinge bolt. OSS refurb (already discussed informally with @depronman), rear brake drum casings. Crackly/erratic all-or-nothing >>volume knob on Concert II. Issue with non-DIS information / status screen working sometimes, and otherwise being either blank or simulating >>Tetris with scrolling lines and blocks of pixels without any warning, sometimes all within the same journey. nothing else done, got the turbo replaced with a remanufactured one and the MOT-fail oil leak fixed. Have a spare cluster from the cDIS fit that could be retrofitted once the ECU pairing is resolved.

>>52 AUA - thoughts of an AUB swap, new front bumper to fit the new undertray, swap the drivers door skin for one without dents. Need to speak >>to Tom ( @timmus) about resolving the AUB ECU security number re the immobiliser question with the cluster login if the AUB plans do head >>towards fruition. none of these done this time round, broken front Suplex spring in the summer necessitated new front springs.

Last edited:
When things are safe and life's back to normal, :) I want to invite you all to my home to celebrate and to enjoy a club get-together in beautiful North Wales! I'm thinking it will be mid-Year ..... maybe July? I'm aiming to make it really special and memorable ! I want to see lots of smiles!

David

@DJ 190 I'm still looking forward to that one from this year David! I'm sure if we're finally let out to play together again in the summer there will indeed be plenty of smiles :)

Take my latest aquisition somewhere other than work, preferably near certain places its red & black cousin has been the past few years. ? (Though preferably one of the above meetings if possible)

If that can't happen, attempt to get LED headlight bulbs TÜVed (as that's likely similar in cost to the above o_O).

Until that's decided (Guess another 6 months until we even find out...) try to rid the car of rattles, then try and determine why the rear sits lower than the front and fix that, possibly along with the rear discs (though not sure those can even be "fixed" permanently on an A2? ?)

When that's done, replace summer tyres or whole wheels and take it round the Nürburgring, see how that goes.

Unless 2021 turns out to be even worse than 2020, at which point I guess it'll be beat Gran Turismo in an A2 and keep scouring classifieds for an elusive golden example. ??

Still a few upgrades to do, having spent most of this year getting on top of a lack of maintenance in the past. I’m intending to visit Timmus for full dis and sports steering wheel fitting. Hope to find a nice set of sports seats and a rear cup holder and might get the alloys refurbished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two A2's:

Blue one: new DMF clutch, swap OSS, finish brackets for TT seats, fit my flat bottomed steering wheel, fit rear electric windows, fit alloy footrest, fit painted sills.

Fusion Electric Project: get back onto it - it's been completely disrupted with isolating, lockdowns and proper work!

...and Happy Christmas everyone!

Get my daughters £500 Ebony A2 MOT’ed and back on the road. Adam and I have spent the last three months bringing it up to standard. The re-trimmed seats will be ready after Christmas and a double DIN conversion will complete the job.

@A2Steve I sent you a WhatsApp for a couple of bits.

Ian

Would love to keep mine until it's official 20th birthday this Summer, but suspect it won't go very far (again) in 2021. Unfortunately, it's been very much ignored and neglected since March, so showing its age as a result. I will attempt to start it again in the new year, before trying for an MOT to better understand the situation. Then, arrange a full service in the Spring including belts and pump etc.

I'm almost 4 weeks into A2 ownership now so I do have some plans for 2021, especially as I am using the car much more than my other car. In my 4 weeks i've had the car serviced with a new thermostat. Applied stickers to the worn climate control buttons (which weren't bad anyway). Purchased a set of 5 spoke 16" Audi A1 wheels complete with a decent set of winter tyres. I'm in the process of cleaning them up but also toying with the idea of having the original SE alloys fully refurbished as I do like a bone-stock look.

For 2021...

Get the new wheels balanced and fitted. Maybe...
New shock absorbers all round - still on originals
Refurb the headlights lenses
Investigate a remap. Is it wise to remap a car with 130k+ miles? It's been looked after with annual services it's entire life so I am unsure. I'd like the extra poke but I also like the fact the A2 makes me drive in a more relaxed way.

Oh, and I also need some tips on how to get at the number plate bulbs in the tailgate as the screw heads have turned to dust! I assume it must have been discussed on the forum somewhere but couldn't find the thread.

Thanks in advance and Happy Christmas all.

Steve

Hoping that @timmus comes to this side of the Northsea
- getting my keys working again on the 1.6FSI
- inside and outside detailing for the 1.6FSI and the TDI90
- dashcam in the TDI90 (hopefully by @timmus )
- new summertires, 4x for the 1.6FSI, 2x for the TDI90
- trying to get my hands on a pair of new rims (8x0601025AT from A1)

Back