A2OC Donor
European-Union
Take components to be plated and suspend from copper wire:

LvSBZhl.jpg

De-grease in caustic soda:

QdZHRTI.jpg

Rinse in warm tap water then pickle in brick acid:

i2mSaCE.jpg

Rinse in warm tap water and suspend in plating bath with other components to be plated:

IaaBRda.jpg

Start fish pump to circulate electrolyte mix:

eKJkHgo.jpg

Set current to 100 mA per square inch of surface area:

V7aBPAs.jpg

Plate for 30 minutes, warm rinse and immediately place in passivate tank for 30 seconds:

FD3afyn.jpg

Remove, rinse and allow 48 Hours drying time, then use components:

OCzyjsS.jpg

I purchased my chemicals from http://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/plating-kits/tank-plating/zinc-plating-kit

Last edited:
Very impressive results, just not sure I want to play with those chemicals. It is good to see very professional results being achieved at home and quite straight forward instructions. Parts have to be rust free for as new look. One question Brick acid ? I am sure others will be prompted to try this themselves.

Very impressive results, just not sure I want to play with those chemicals. It is good to see very professional results being achieved at home and quite straight forward instructions. Parts have to be rust free for as new look. One question Brick acid ? I am sure others will be prompted to try this themselves.

I’m sure the information and knowledge is going to build in this thread. Brick acid is something you can buy from Wickes for cleaning cement off bricks, I think that is where my acid came from, I think I could get the same results with citric acid but I’ve yet to try.
Parts have to be reasonably rust free but I’ll do another how to.

Last edited:
Thanks will look into the process, does the link tube not come with central guide tube form Audi ?
Thanks
Keith.

Thanks will look into the process, does the link tube not come with central guide tube form Audi ?
Thanks
Keith.

I think if I understand your question Keith the two LH and RH rear cables cables should come with links to the central tube. Unfortunately the NS is arriving at dealers without a link. I’m using an old link / tube to move my repairs on until I get a new link.

Last edited:
You’ve got me wondering now as I got my ATE
cables from AUTODOC but was going to source link tube (central assembly) from Audi ,
But I haven’t checked the cables yet.

Thanks
Keith.

I've been experimenting a bit more with the plating kit. To show, as much as anything, what can go wrong as well as go right, these notes may prove useful to others:

I decided to try to protect the rear stub axles with a combo zinc/nickel plate. When I stripped the rear beam axle down, I was a bit concerned to see that there was some rust flake and consequent delamination of the mounting flange, that appeared to result in a forcing apart of said flange and the drum brake backing plate. I'm not sure if it would have affected the wheel camber but it's not something I wanted to get any worse. The mating faces of the beam axle and stub axle had some corrosion too, with more flaking (you can see the remnants of it on the bottom-right of the mating face, below)

IMG_8272.JPG

I wire brushed the stub axles and left them to bubble away in phosphoric acid overnight. They cleaned up quite well, though the recessed area on the back of the flange (it's sort of star-shaped) was very difficult to clean up, even after it had been in the acid (sorry, no photos of that bit). I think there may have been small pockets of air trapped there, even though I worked some into the recess before leaving them to soak.

I degreased them in GP1 cleaner, which I use in my ultrasonic cleaner. The heater and ultrasound seems to helps things along quite well. Five minutes in a tank pre-heated to 35-40C gets results.

IMG_8287.JPG

For obvious reasons I didn't want to plate the surface the bearing sits on, or the thread for the hub nut. I could suspend them from a wire wrapped around the thread and only partially submerse them in the plating tank, but I wanted to get a clean cut-off in the plating at the shoulder the bearing sits against. Yet again, google was my friend and I ended up reading a thread about masking on some Indian car forum I'd never heard of. ?One kind soul there mentioned that nail varnish works very well. Wife's collection of old colours were duly raided and that's what you can see in the above photo.

I'm pleased to report that it works really well. The chemicals in the plating tank (and the passivate) didn't touch it at all. What it didn't like was the ultrasound cleaner, which in combination with the GP1 cleaner lifted the pink stuff off in a couple of minutes. So it's probably best to apply the varnish after all degreasing, which means you'll need to wear clean rubber gloves when applying it to avoid getting any traces of grease on the bits of metal that you do want to plate. I didn't bother to re-mask one of them, and paid the price.....

IMG_8293.JPG

...by ending up with some plating on the axle shaft. As it happens, this cleaned up quite easily with some very careful rubbing back with wet and dry (photo is part-way through this) as the plating is much softer than the steel. What it did prove to me was that, given a decent surface (such as the axle shaft) the plating kit will delivery extremely shiny plating. It looked fantastic - before I rubbed it all off :D. The yellow passivate took well this time.

The horror show was the back face of the flanges.

IMG_8294.JPG

In the aforementioned star-shaped recesses, all was not well. The combination of not removing all of the rust and suspending the stub axles by the threaded section when plating them, gave me a very uneven result. There was a lot of gas bubbling coming off of these faces when thay were being plated (don't forget they were facing the bottom of the tank) and I think a lot of the bubbles were in effect trapped by the fairly rough face with all the bolt holes in it. It's not quite as bad as it looks as much of the staining could be removed with some wire wool, but it is a cautionary note: when plating, make sure you hang the part so that no air is trapped. That said, in this case, I'm not sure how else I could have done it, without having to do a load more masking. The nail varnish, by the way, comes off very easily with normal nail varnish remover (thanks go to the wife again).

I will probably mask and paint these now, just to be on the safe side. Then I'm pretty much ready to rebuild the back axle :)

Last edited:
The yellow passivate took well this time.

What did you different please, I've not had a success yet with yellow on a large component.

Also are you heating the plating tank and passivate? I've not tried plating since the temperatures dropped.

Gas build up in recesses ruins rust removal in those areas. Corrosion can get worse. As you say the part has to be suspended so all gas can escape.

Nice results, are you going to stick the ends of the beam axle in an electrolytic rust conversion tank?

Hi @philward - for the passivate, I'm just dipping the plated part back into the pickling bucket for a few seconds, until it starts fizzing, then rinse it off and dunk it in the passivate for a good 50-60 seconds. Then a very quick dip in the rinse bucket and hang it up to dry. I don't touch the part at any point - everything is done by the hanging wire.

Yes, the plating tank is heated to 23C using the aquarium heater that came with the Gateros kit. I bought the super-duper kit zinc + nickel kit, complete with a PSU; that includes the heater and an aqurium bubbler/aerator. I've added a cheap thermometer with the bottom end sawn off (so that it doesn't get affected by the plating chemicals) so that the only bit that gets wet is the bottom part of the tube and the bulb. Then I bent up some copper wire I stripped out of an old length of household wiring (either 2.5mm or 4mm, I can't remember now) to make holders that clip onto the rim of the bucket and keep the thermometer, heater and bubbler in place. The heater works very well and is true to the dial setting on the top (according to my cheap thermometer, anyway). There's some magic potion supplied in the kit that helps to keep foaming in check when the bubbler is on; it seems to work well.

I also made a hoop out of the same copper wire that is soldered together at its (overlapping) ends, which slides up the outside of the bucket and wedges in place under the rim. It has ears on it that the +ve wire for the PSU connects to and similar ears to clip on the crocodile clips that hold the anodes. The 'ears' aren't soldered in place but twisted quite tightly around the ring wire, so that I can slide them around the tank to get them out of the way of other stuff. The Gateros kit comes with a length of titanium wire for suspending the anodes which is supposed to be more resistant to erosion. I attach lengths of it to the croc clips and hang the anodes on the other end. It works well as I can add or remove anodes as I see fit and it's also easy to remove them from the tank for drying when I pack it all away.

IMG_8253.JPG

As for the beam axle - no I used a neighbours' ex-army needle gun to attack it, after getting the worst off with one of the Screwfix scotchbrite-type abrasive wheels in my angle drill. Lots of flaking corrosion removed, but it was all surface stuff. The beam itself looks to still be in good nick. The needle gun was brilliant, if a tad noisy! I spent the best part of six hours cleaning it up.

IMG_8279.JPG

IMG_8280.JPG

The spindle-mounted Screwfix disc is much more usable than the one they sell for 4.5in angle grinders. Although it's the same material, being able to run it at a slower speed (and be able able to vary the speed on my drill) makes it much more controllable and the discs last longer as a result. I won't buy the grinder-type for this type of work in future. I got rid of the remaining surface rust with a good covering of phosphoric acid, then hosed it all off and left it to get the covering of fine rust that always descends after using the acid. It seems to help as a key when I brush apply the 2 pack epoxy. I would love to be able to spray this stuff, as I think it would give an excellent finish. I still have my doubts as to how well it will cope with the flexing of the centre portion of the beam axle. I read something on the web about using a decent amount of thinners in the mix to make the finished coating more pliable, so I've given that a go (added at 15% by volume in this case). Apparently a proportion of the thinners remains trapped in the epoxy as it cures, holding some of the cross-linking bonds apart - acting as a 'packer' in the paint, in effect, which allows the paint to flex without cracking. Time will tell if there's any truth in that....

IMG_8296.JPG

Last edited:
Hi @TFG would you have the brand and number of the tank heater please? I set up my plating on the cheap and never expected to be still plating through the winter.

Do you also use a heater in the passivate?

Thanks

Phil

Last edited:
Not sure. The body of the heater is glass, so no problem there. The end looks as though it's polyethylene - so similar to the bucket - and a firm push fit to the glass so shouldn't be cause for concern, in the short term at least. I've seen some warnings in the interweb about long term storage of plating solutions in plastic buckets, so might be one to keep an eye on. Whether there's any substance to the warnings is another matter; after all, the concentrated passivate is kept in a plastic bottle, probably PE. Like you, I don't like the look of those health warnings on the passivates. With warnings like that, I am amazed thet they're able to sell them to the general public and send them by courier.

I was talking to Gateros recently and passivate will be restricted to professional use only in the near future. Then later it will be banned.
New safer products are being developed but are not yet as good as the existing products.
I need the ability to plate larger components so need to order more yellow soon.

I think you are going to see increasing restrictions on corrosives and caustics in the near future. At the moment there is already ever increasing restriction on explosive precursor chemicals and drug manufacture precursors but it’s only a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are going to see increasing restrictions on corrosives and caustics in the near future. At the moment there is already ever increasing restriction on explosive precursor chemicals and drug manufacture precursors but it’s only a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed bought enough to increase the size of my plating and passivate baths.

Getting good results now with yellow, black and clear passivates. Increasing capacity so I can process larger components and plate more reliably.

@TFG I think my sudden success is in no small part to heating the passivate, Also the bubbling and black staining at the bottom of a component is due to it being too close to the bottom of the tank. Filtering the electrolyte before use also helps minimise this problem.

Agreed bought enough to increase the size of my plating and passivate baths.

Getting good results now with yellow, black and clear passivates. Increasing capacity so I can process larger components and plate more reliably.

@TFG I think my sudden success is in no small part to heating the passivate, Also the bubbling and black staining at the bottom of a component is due to it being too close to the bottom of the tank. Filtering the electrolyte before use also helps minimise this problem.

Hi Phil. Good to hear that the heaters are paying dividends. What temperature are you running at? I'm pretty busy with work atm so haven't had time to do more plating for a while. As for the black staining, the affected face of those flanges was at least 4" from the bottom of the tank. If that's too close, then I'm in trouble! I think filtering (or lack thereof) of the electrolyte, along with getting the part properly de-rusted before I plate, are more likely the culprits. My neighbour's needle gun would have been the ideal tool for sorting out the rust, had I known he has one....

Hi Phil. Good to hear that the heaters are paying dividends. What temperature are you running at? I'm pretty busy with work atm so haven't had time to do more plating for a while. As for the black staining, the affected face of those flanges was at least 4" from the bottom of the tank. If that's too close, then I'm in trouble! I think filtering (or lack thereof) of the electrolyte, along with getting the part properly de-rusted before I plate, are more likely the culprits. My neighbour's needle gun would have been the ideal tool for sorting out the rust, had I known he has one....

30C.

4 inches from the bottom should not cause problems so cleaner prep or electrolyte is the way to go. I filter my electrolyte through body shop paint strainers.

Back