Thermostat 1.6 fsi help

A2 Louis

Banned
Hi everyone I was wondering is it easy to change a thermostat on a 1.6 fsi ? If not is there anyone near me that could pop along and sort this for me of course there will be something in it for them :)

I’m just getting fed up of giving the car to a mechanic to sort out And me not learning anything :(

Thanks

Hi everyone I was wondering is it easy to change a thermostat on a 1.6 fsi ? If not is there anyone near me that could pop along and sort this for me of course there will be something in it for them :)

I’m just getting fed up of giving the car to a mechanic to sort out And me not learning anything :(

Thanks
Hi Louis,

NOT an easy job, look at the current thread with FSI thermostat in the title.

More to the point, why do you think a new thermostat is required?

Andy

Hi Andy the heating is warmish after running the car for 30 mins the gauge does not go to 90 degrees unless you turn heating off and go around 20 mph for 3 mins then the guage starts to go to 90 when it reaches 90 put the heating on and the guage drops :(:)

Thanks

hi louis, if its just the thermostat you are changing, and not the thermostat housing then its not too bad, certainly not easy, but it is doable. its still in a really awkward place and you have to move pipes etc etc, but the problem is potentially breaking other bits on the thermostat housing, and in the pipes when you change the thermostat. if you do it, be super careful not to put any pressure on the small pipe on the thermostat housing nearest front of car - if your housing is original it'll be really fragile. if you do this job, don't be surprised if you have to do the thermostat housing too, as it is really easy to break something. i did the thermostat housing on my FSI yesterday, something i hope i don't have to repeat for a long long time, it was a pain of a job. good luck if you do it. I'm a very average diyer, and it took me all day and the evening to do - mainly due to getting the housing back on and clipped together. cheers

Hi Andy the heating is warmish after running the car for 30 mins the gauge does not go to 90 degrees unless you turn heating off and go around 20 mph for 3 mins then the guage starts to go to 90 when it reaches 90 put the heating on and the guage drops :(:)

Thanks
Fair enough, looks like new thermostat required.

Nod also had a thread last week on the purchase of a replacement thermostat. It contains info towards the end about a relatively cheap buy that looks probably like it is the authentic Audi thermostat and housing.

Andy

Last edited:
So is the thermostat easy to replace? I’m not replacing the housing sorry all if that wasn’t clear :);)

So is the thermostat easy to replace? I’m not replacing the housing sorry all if that wasn’t clear :);)
Some background on the thermostat housing first. With the FSI and its higher than normal coolant operating temperature the thermostat housing is well known to become brittle and develop small cracks. This means that any work involving the housing it is highly likely to break and even if left alone the cracks lead to small leaks in due course. For these reasons it is considered good practice to replace the housing when replacing the thermostat. As Nod's experience shows this does mean a lot more work rather then just replacing the thermostat but with the cheap source for parts that Nod has found, not to replace both might be foolhardy and you might well be forced into it when replacing just the thermostat when the housing fractures!!! It's up to you.

To answer your question, it is NOT easy to replace just the thermostat the access is difficult. If you have threes hands with ten fingers+two thumbs on each, are double jointed and not have a spine to suffer back pain you might find it is easy. This is the procedure....

My advice is to buy housing and thermostat and give just replacing the thermostat a go, but being prepared with the housing at hand if needed. If the housing is not needed then I would just keep it as stock but you could always sell it.

Andy

Last edited:
Hi do you mean this thermostat and housing ?

NO, that is just the thermostat.

A picture of the thermostat AND housing can been seen in Nod's post #18 in the thread I linked in post#6 above (in this thread).

This is becoming hard work!

Andy

Last edited:
This is a very useful thread thank you given that I have picked up my car from the garage this morning after lots of steam from under the bonnet when I arrived at work yesterday. They have diagnosed coolant/thermostat housing on end of cylinder head weeping, and have suggested replacing the thermostat housing (they quoted £199 for the part), and said it was quite a labour intensive job... They suggested that it's probably OK for now if I keep an eye on coolant levels and top up as required, so I am considering my options...

Hi if they are replacing the housing then get them to change the plastic pipe that runs from the pump to thermostat housing. It’s called the death pipe for a reason so sound advise to change it. Cheers mike

Back