Heated windscreens

GPW

Hello all,

I am in discussions with a windscreen company regarding the manufacturing of heated windscreens for the A2. As always a group buy would help reduce costs. The prices below are for the screen only and fitting and electrics would be over and above. This is the expected prices.

"Yes we can do them no issues…

The minimum order is 5 and then prices get better 10 and above…

5 off = £258 + VAT per unit
10 off = £230 + VAT per unit
20 off = £212 + VAT per unit.

Essentially that is it, you all need have the same screen so if you want it to have rain sensor prints etc then you all need to agree on the same one. My suggestion would be just green tint like OEM and then If the car has auto lights or wipers let me know."

The development of the electric is still to be done but I propose that the new heated screen will be activated with the same switch as the rear screen with a 5/10 min delay timer relay so it self cancels to avoid being left on for prolonged periods.

Let me know if anyone would be interested to come on board with this.

I think this would be a excellent upgrade to these fantastic cars.

Cheers

Guy

Hello all,

I am in discussions with a windscreen company regarding the manufacturing of heated windscreens for the A2. As always a group buy would help reduce costs. The prices below are for the screen only and fitting and electrics would be over and above. This is the expected prices.

"Yes we can do them no issues…

The minimum order is 5 and then prices get better 10 and above…

5 off = £258 + VAT per unit
10 off = £230 + VAT per unit
20 off = £212 + VAT per unit.

Essentially that is it, you all need have the same screen so if you want it to have rain sensor prints etc then you all need to agree on the same one. My suggestion would be just green tint like OEM and then If the car has auto lights or wipers let me know."

The development of the electric is still to be done but I propose that the new heated screen will be activated with the same switch as the rear screen with a 5/10 min delay timer relay so it self cancels to avoid being left on for prolonged periods.

Let me know if anyone would be interested to come on board with this.

I think this would be a excellent upgrade to these fantastic cars.

Cheers

Guy
Very good call on this, I guess Ford patent has long since expired, one word of caution though if your wear glasses the fine wires can cause issues when energised as the objects,
road signs or number plates etc can appear to be looking through a heat haze(shimmering effect) I had this on my mk2 galaxy.

I reported it to my optician but they said they weren’t aware of any reported issues & when I raised it on the Galaxy forum I got lots of disbelief but a number had the same effect W which strangely goes away the moment you switch it off !

Hth
Keith

When we ( car manufacturer ) did tests for OEM regarding heated windsheilds ( roughly 10 years ago ) we found that it disturbed gps signals and signals for some road toll senders so we neded to do "cut outs" in the heating mesh in specific areas of the windscreen, I dont know if this is valid here but could be worth checking

I'd be interested in one or two as our windscreens have 15 years worth of scratches and chips(which is particularly unpleasant at this time of year with the low sun).

Having had a few Fords with this, I am tempted, but ...
How would this play out with insurance cos? Most cover the screen, as a replacement. Wonder how they'd react to this, if replacement was needed. Would a single unit even be available when needed?
M a c

Reactions: A2Z
Having had a few Fords with this, I am tempted, but ...
How would this play out with insurance cos? Most cover the screen, as a replacement. Wonder how they'd react to this, if replacement was needed. Would a single unit even be available when needed?
M a c
I have discussed this with my insurance and if you declare it it is covered.

Thanks

Very good call on this, I guess Ford patent has long since expired, one word of caution though if your wear glasses the fine wires can cause issues when energised as the objects,
road signs or number plates etc can appear to be looking through a heat haze(shimmering effect) I had this on my mk2 galaxy.

I reported it to my optician but they said they weren’t aware of any reported issues & when I raised it on the Galaxy forum I got lots of disbelief but a number had the same effect W which strangely goes away the moment you switch it off !

Hth
Keith
Interesting, however I wear glasses and my wifes Yeti has a heated screen. I have not had any issues.

I'd be interested in one or two as our windscreens have 15 years worth of scratches and chips(which is particularly unpleasant at this time of year with the low sun).
Thanks for the interest. I would however need a firm yes before taking this forward. I dont particularly want left with surplus screens.

Thanks for the interest. I would however need a firm yes before taking this forward. I dont particularly want left with surplus screens.
Difficult to give a firm answer without further info. Is the quoted price delivered? Does it have a warranty? Can replacements be ordered in the event of damage in a year or two?
Thank you for taking the time to investigate, I'm almost guaranteed to take one, quite possibly two.

Difficult to give a firm answer without further info. Is the quoted price delivered? Does it have a warranty? Can replacements be ordered in the event of damage in a year or two?
Thank you for taking the time to investigate, I'm almost guaranteed to take one, quite possibly two.
I will ask your questions. Thanks for your input.

I am tempted by this, perhaps two even given our climate, but I need to save my pennies and have a couple of good months with my home company (car fund!) - what would be the timescale? I see you're upstream of Aberdeen so not that far north of us on the banks of the Tay.

Would the rear demister circuit have enough capacity to power this as well as the rear screen & mirrors? Would it be worthwhile talking to @timmus about how to plumb this in - ie I'm certain he could knock up an oem-standard loom and a fitting protocol for the electrical side of things with his knowhow.

I am tempted by this, perhaps two even given our climate, but I need to save my pennies and have a couple of good months with my home company (car fund!) - what would be the timescale? I see you're upstream of Aberdeen so not that far north of us on the banks of the Tay.

Would the rear demister circuit have enough capacity to power this as well as the rear screen & mirrors? Would it be worthwhile talking to @timmus about how to plumb this in - ie I'm certain he could knock up an oem-standard loom and a fitting protocol for the electrical side of things with his knowhow.
I have already emailed Tom on this. Waiting for a reply. It would be on the same circuit as the rear screen. It would have it's own circuit and really. Only triggered by the same switch.

I have already emailed Tom on this. Waiting for a reply. It would be on the same circuit as the rear screen. It would have it's own circuit and really. Only triggered by the same switch.
Should be pretty straightforward to connect using the rear screen switch and a relay. Is the supplier able to fit too, I'm overdue a trip to Aberdeen.

I'd be interested in one with the oem tint but my main concern would be getting replacements. My windscreens seem to break every 18 months!

Arguably the ideal would be to find someone friendly who does windscreens day in day out for one of the usual suspects to do a homer with a few cars on site (a bit like when @timmus does a batch of DIS in one go) - whether that would include the electrical side as well is another question. I'm guessing there are a few of us in Scotland who could be interested in heated screens given the conditions and utility of that feature up here, so it would be a case of finding someone and working out where to do it that is mutually convenient.

Do the heated windscreens have a specific location and connector for the wiring or is this specified as part of the job?

Arguably the ideal would be to find someone friendly who does windscreens day in day out for one of the usual suspects to do a homer with a few cars on site (a bit like when @timmus does a batch of DIS in one go) - whether that would include the electrical side as well is another question. I'm guessing there are a few of us in Scotland who could be interested in heated screens given the conditions and utility of that feature up here, so it would be a case of finding someone and working out where to do it that is mutually convenient.

Do the heated windscreens have a specific location and connector for the wiring or is this specified as part of the job?
When I get back in touch with the company I can ask this question. To move forward I need firm takers.

@GPW - I think that you've got quite a bit of interest - granted there are a few questions to answer to convert interest into actual commitment to purchase.

That being said I have to offer my thanks for your having brought this option to our collective attention- my 2010 2.0Tdi 4x4 Yeti not having a heated screen (they introduced it as an option the following year in the UK for a pretty good price) was a constant source of irritation brought to a head when I had to try to scrape frost/freezing fog off the inside of the frozen windscreen 20 minutes after initiating warming up subsequent to being given the "I need to get to maternity - contractions less than 5 minutes" wake-up instruction at 4am just under 8 years ago on about the coldest night of the winter ..

Back