1.2 TDI, what'll it do mister?

G

Gaff

Hi All,

My A2 is a little sluggish :D. I'm not sure whether it goes with the model or whether its my car in particular. Top speed on the flat, is about 120 kph, downhill sees 150 kph. However, on the slightest of inclines my speed is down to 80 kph and I have to pull into the lorry lane. Changing to lower gears has no effect. I'd say that the power curve is flat, i.e. hardy any power from 2000 rpm to 4000 rpm.

Actually, I had a similar feeling in another car, a VW 1.9 TDI, when the MAF had got so covered in dirt that it no longer worked (unplugging its electrical connector showed that it was having no affect on driving. Cleaning the unit with WD40 re-established full power). So I'm wondering whether this could be the case now, or whether its something more serious like a blown head gasket etc.

A2denmark said "my (1.2) tdi cruises comfortably at 120-130kmh and is capable at reaching the listed 167kmh (100mph)"; is this the case for all?

Do 1.2 TDI's make useable motorway vehicles. i.e. would you risk overtaking another vehicle at 70 mph/120 kph? What about on hills?

GA

Hi Gaff
From your description of the performance my best guess is that you are not getting full turbo boost. It could be one of the small boost pressure signal lines which has come loose on the turbo, split charge air cooler or pipework or even the turbo itself.
Forget about head gasket problems as they usually show up with pressurised cooling systems and coolant loss.
A VagCom diagnostic scan would probably help pinpoint the problem.

Cheers Spike

My old 1.2 TDI had the same issue after I installed the webasto heater in it. The problem was that one of the small (3-4 mm) preassure lines had come out of it's fitting. The lines are located at the top of the engine bay in against the dash board.

Try and find the preassure lines and follow them to each end to see if they are still connected.

PS: Audi Denmark (SMC) are a bunch of ****ers. They have no clue what they are talking about. Avoid them at all cost if you can! - Call these guys instead: http://www.mercari.dk/

Hey again Gaff, There is something definately up with the car, I can tell you that I notice hardly any sluggishness on the freeway, the most slugishness I experience is when accelerating in ECO mode trying to keep it around 3.0L (33KPL). The car's top speed is almost the same as the 1.4tdi (167 vs 175) due to all the weight reduction etc. From your pictures (nice looking rig by the way) I noticed that the motor has been tampered with because you are missing the little heat protector that goes over the motor itself and covers the top (its black in color and has a fibrey papery feel to it).

So,with everything functioning, it is a wonderful car to drive! I just thought about your experience driving back from spain and can totally understand why you weren't too impressed!!

Sounds like turbo.

This car like the 90PS A2 has VTG technology - NO waste gate.

So when you drive short trips or only cruise around slowly the particulates build up on the turbo guide vanes and eventually (rather like a house chimney) they clog up and refuse to move as they should. This reduces gas flow and hence power. Eventually the engine management system may wrongly sense overboost and put engine into get you home mode which is extremely sluggish.

Best thing is to remove turbo and have it cleaned - you should not need a new one as the bearings etc are not affected by soot.

Recommend you contact turboactive for best quote in the UK/Germany:

[email protected]

They helped me out with my one a few months ago.

Tell him Lukas recommended you via the A2OC to them

Best

As for speed - my car was taken around Castle Combe on an Audi Track day - about 30 secs slower than a chipped 400bhp S4.

Yes she will cruise at 100 mph all day where permitted and still return over 60 UK Mpg

In fact acceleration in manual mode 60-80 mph is very impressive for 61 PS car! It's the lack of drag that helps there.

..//..
I noticed that the motor has been tampered with because you are missing the little heat protector that goes over the motor itself and covers the top (its black in color and has a fibrey papery feel to it).

So,with everything functioning, it is a wonderful car to drive! I just thought about your experience driving back from spain and can totally understand why you weren't too impressed!!

Hi a2denmark,

I took off the black cover while looking for the location of the diesel filter (its cunningly hidden in front of the drivers side rear wheel, found that thanks to posts on this forum).

Before looking for complicated problems (turbo, maf), I will change the diesel and air filters, as these need doing immediately. The selling garages "full service" only went as far as oil.

GA

As for speed - my car was taken around Castle Combe on an Audi Track day - about 30 secs slower than a chipped 400bhp S4.

Yes she will cruise at 100 mph all day where permitted and still return over 60 UK Mpg

In fact acceleration in manual mode 60-80 mph is very impressive for 61 PS car! It's the lack of drag that helps there.

Hello Lukas,

What gear do you use for overtaking at 60-80? Would you expect to change down to 3rd or is kicking down in 5th sufficient? i.e. do you drive it like a diesel (torque) or petrol (bhp) engined car?

GA

Update on performance problem

Hi All,

I'm beginning to see things more clearly. This performance problem is intermittent. Sometimes I have a sprightly car that responds well to a kick-down. Other times (longer journey) the power disappears, and neither I nor the auto clutch can find the best gear for reasonable forward progress. Changing to manual makes no difference. Sound like limp-home mode to me, but there are no warning lights.

GA

Back