1.4 or 1.6

Daakk

Hey all
I currently have a 1.6fsi colour storm , a little tatty but passed its mot today.
I’ve seen a 1.4 in my price range tho , is it worth switching to a 1.4 as I need a reliable daily and I hear fsi can be a b****r sometimes

TIA

Han

Oh yeah it is!
I have a tdi90 but at the moment I'm using my wife's 1.4 petrol most days for short commute to work and I don't want to give it back!

agreed the 1.4 petrol is a great city A2, warm up quickly and is so light at the front end turn in it great. just feel light an nimble
the gear change is sweet as well
Paul

agreed the 1.4 petrol is a great city A2, warm up quickly and is so light at the front end turn in it great. just feel light an nimble
the gear change is sweet as well
Paul

The gearbox on the 1.4 really is extremely light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No hint of a delay on mine.

Really, its something I notice on a lot of vag cars of this time, there is a very slight 1/4 second delay on input on the accelerator. It’s not a fault it’s just they way the ecu and throttle body works on these.

Really, its something I notice on a lot of vag cars of this time, there is a very slight 1/4 second delay on input on the accelerator. It’s not a fault it’s just they way the ecu and throttle body works on these.

Mine doesn't feel underpowered either.

I did get throttle delay on mine for ages, but since replacing a faulty map sensor, I feel no such delay any more. However, I do agree that they do feel slightly underpowered in certain circumstances.

I did get throttle delay on mine for ages, but since replacing a faulty map sensor, I feel no such delay any more. However, I do agree that they do feel slightly underpowered in certain circumstances.

They are fine, my partner owns the 1.4i, they do struggle with hills and weight.

I’ll have a look at the map however, I’ve had this in most VAGs of this era

There’s also huge variance in the way each 1.4 drives. I’ve had some that are quite sprightly and others that were so underpowered it was dangerous. All depends how they have been maintained and used I suppose. I think a turbo’d 1.4 petrol could well be the ultimate A2.

There’s also huge variance in the way each 1.4 drives. I’ve had some that are quite sprightly and others that were so underpowered it was dangerous. All depends how they have been maintained and used I suppose.
I doubt that variance existed when they were new, so it must be down to maintenance. Mine went from underpowered and asthmatic to sprightly in the blink of an eye when I had the new exhaust fitted.

Back