1.4 petrol cambelt change?

welshguy

Hi,

just put down the deposit on my 1st A2, a 2000 1.4 SE with 43000 miles on the clock. I'm buying from a dealer, just not an audi one who if audi says the camblet needs doing,they will do it. Just want to know when the cambelt needs doing on this engine (according to audi) and what else should be done at the same time e.g. aux belt?

Any help/advice would be appreciated

thanks

Hi welshguy
Last time I checked with the Audi dealer, the 1.4 petrol required a belt change every 4 years with no mileage limit. It would be worth phoning Audi to check this is still correct as they keep changing their minds on the mileage and age limits.
On the 1.4 diesel its normal to change the tensioner pulley, water pump and idler roller at the same time as they are all driven by the cambelt. I assume the petrol will be the same.

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike.
TBH that's what i thought. I had a lupo with the same 1.4 75bhp engine and that had the same interval. That's why i questioned whether it had been done. Saves me being hit with the bill straight after buying the car anyway. I'll ring up audi so i know what needs doing then so the garage doesnt just do the cambelt and leave me to pay for the other bits.

thanks again

Huw

1,4 Cambelt change times etc.

Hi Welshguy, Re the cambelt changes on a 1.4 petrol, AUDI say; up to 60,000 miles or 4 years,(handbook says 80,000) this was revised/updated of late. When you have job done;
new cambelt, pulleys changed also its a good time to have the water pump checked out at the same time (if early type of pump,it has plastic vanes , which turn brittle over period of time and start to go brittle then break off ) new water pump has metal vanes so the problems have been resolved,so its cost effective to do whilst stripped down for CB change.
I had mine change by a independant mechanic, the total cost for me was £200, but this can vary so price for job £200+ up to £400 is a good guide, as your motor is a 2000 reg the sooner job is done the 'better' reason; your car is nearly double the recommend time span period so, all the best, Cheers Alan.

Grrrrrr!

Rite, the dealer i'm buying the A2 from have rung today. Apparently they have rung Audi (in Brighton, when im buying in Leeds?) and they say there's no time to change the cambelt so they aren't going to change it!!!!

Apparently the 1.4 engine is a 'safe' engine and if the belt snaps it wont destroy the engine? But when i asked if they would put that in writing and guarantee if the belt did snap and destroy the engine they'd fix it.

Guess what...they said no! I've rung up 2 other audi dealers now and they say 60k or 4/5 years. As the car is 7 years old with 43k it is well overdue. I've been quoted £320 for audi to do it with the water pump and extra £40.

Anyone on here work for audi? When exactly is it meant to be changed?

I'm thinking that Evans Halshaw just dont want to pay out...when they are legally obliged to if the work needs doing.

I'm really annoyed at them! :mad:Any help would be good!

Huw

You've explained all in 2 words: Evans Halshaw!

I'm from Leeds originally and they don't have the best reputation in the world.

You can always go down the 'do the work or the deal's off' route and see if that works.

What I can't understand is why E.H. didn't just phone Leeds Audi (who are pretty clued up) and ask them, as opposed to a dealer at the other end of the country. Where is the car at the moment?

As for work that needs doing, you need a full toothed belt (cambelt) service, which will include bot just the belt but also the things covered in an interim service, such as oil and filters.

As mentioned, you should also ask to have the water pump replaced at the same time, as the extra work involved is minimal and it saves it being done at a later date, where labour will be massive, as they need to strip the front end down again!

Cheers,

Mike

I'm starting to think that too! They're cutting corners which is pissing me off! The car is still with them being prepped and stuff. if i dont get this work done i'll have to get it done which is using more money. The whole point of me changin cars was to save money to put towards the insurance. If i have to pay i'll only have £100ish to add.

Well im at uni in Coventry and just been to Audi dealer here. They showed me that Audi dont specify a time to change the cambelt!!! But they have NEVER had one snap and not need a new top half of the engine putting in! Safe engin...NOT! Got them to write that down on headed paper to show the ****s at E Halshaw.

Tempted to just say...give me my deposit and walk away if i done get the work done right now. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I think I would walk away from the deal and demand my deposit back. My lad just bought a 6 year old golf from a VW garage. Cambelt hadnt been changed even though it had full service history but the VW dealership changed the cam belt no quibbles. Sounds like the garage is being stupid for not doing the cam belt. look how much good will they have lost already with you.

Hi welshguy,
Don't know about the 1.4 petrol being a 'safe engine'. My 1.4 petrol had a belt tensioner sieze at about 21000 miles resulting in the cambelt slipping at high speed.
Result :- valves bent , 2 broken and deeply embedded valves stuck in 2 pistons.
Fortunately this happened just before the 12mth warranty ran out.
Had to wait 6weeks for a new recon engine to be made up and shipped over from Holland and fitted .This was done by the 'late' Dixons in Sheffield after retrieving the car in bits from Audi main stealer in Sheffield because Dixons didn't want to pay the price the stealers had quoted to replace the engine !

All sorted!!

Finally got this sorted. After i asked for my deposit back they rung back and said they'd pay for 1/2 the cambelt and pulley change. Got someone i kno and works at VW dealer to send a slightly over estimated quote to them and they agreed. Getting £200 knocked off the price. Wont end up costing me much, probably around £100 on top because i'll get them to put a water pump in as well. Get discount on parts as well at VW so all good. just need to pick it up, get some mats and aero wiper then get vw to do the cambelt for me.

cant wait to get it now :D

I still think the garage should have paid the full costs of changing the cambelt before selling you the car sounds like you got the best possible deal you could get. Did they give you a warranty on the car and if so will they give you hassle if something goes wrong.

Back