1.4 petrol coolant loss

Pdeuce

Hi just acquired a 1.4 petrol it is loosing coolant after running not a great amount but some. I suspect head gasket problem but as anybody got any other possible areas to look at before taking the plunge and removing the head.

Cheapest and quickest thing to do it replace the expansion tank cap as it could be allowing coolant to vent.

Restarting this thread as unfortunately my new addition 1.4 aua has decided to have the same issue. Only had it two months.

Yesterday the coolant warning light went on and associated loud beeping. I immediately looked at temp gauge and was still showing 90. I could see a trail behind me of my eggressing fluid...

Stopped the car to ensure no damage.
Walked to local DIY to get more coolant (just to enable me to get to a safe spot), but it moreorless runs straight through, appearing to come out the bottom of the engine around the timing belt. Moved it to halfords as very nearby, but they don't want anything to do with it?

What are possible causes? And if I drive a few hundred meters from cold (assuming) no coolant circulating will it damage the engine?

Oil level fine, no leaks.

From the workshop manual AUA that end of the engine features the coolant pump - it is sprocket-driven by a belt - don't know much more than that, I'm afraid.

Edited to add :

having looked at the parts diagram, there is a pipe that runs across the back of the engine from the thermostat housing to the water pump.

It has a part number 032121065D.

This is the same part number as the well known "pipe of death" in the 1.6FSi BAD engine (having just compared the parts diagrams in 7zap), although less prone to failure in the 1.4 normally because of lower operating temperature in the 1.4 engine.

Apparently it is prone to failure at the water pump end if it is going to fail - I don't want to spoil your day but that is where I would start looking. The good news is that replacements (also plastic but 20 years newer) appear to be readily available (it is used in a huge range of VAG vehicles) at acceptable prices (mostly <£20).

Last edited:
From the workshop manual AUA that end of the engine features the coolant pump - it is sprocket-driven by a belt - don't know much more than that, I'm afraid.

Edited to add :

having looked at the parts diagram, there is a pipe that runs across the back of the engine from the thermostat housing to the water pump.

It has a part number 032121065D.

This is the same part number as the well known "pipe of death" in the 1.6FSi BAD engine (having just compared the parts diagrams in 7zap), although less prone to failure in the 1.4 normally because of lower operating temperature in the 1.4 engine.

Apparently it is prone to failure at the water pump end if it is going to fail - I don't want to spoil your day but that is where I would start looking. The good news is that replacements (also plastic but 20 years newer) appear to be readily available (it is used in a huge range of VAG vehicles) at acceptable prices (mostly <£20).

Thanks Robin. Have managed to get a garage 100m down the road to agree to look at it. Waiting until engine is cold to touch before moving.

They're only going to be able to look at it later in the week... I'll feed back findings for everyone else once they have.

Chrs Richard

Thanks Robin. Have managed to get a garage 100m down the road to agree to look at it. Waiting until engine is cold to touch before moving.

They're only going to be able to look at it later in the week... I'll feed back findings for everyone else once they have.

Chrs Richard
have sent a direct message. Good that there is a local garage, hope they're competent!

I am far more intimate with the cooling system of the 1.4 AUA petrol that I would like.

Mine has had two (and more) issues with coolant loss.

1) The top of the rear coolant pipe. This is a hard plastic pipe at the rear of the engine that goes from the thermostat housing on the top right of the engine into the block on the lower left of the engine. When purchased mine had a drip from the o ring at the top right into the thermostat housing.

2) Recently the lower seal of that same pipe has started to leak, again its just a o-ring.

The slightly bad news is this is pain in the backside of a job to do, but the parts are not expensive.

I am far more intimate with the cooling system of the 1.4 AUA petrol that I would like.

Mine has had two (and more) issues with coolant loss.

1) The top of the rear coolant pipe. This is a hard plastic pipe at the rear of the engine that goes from the thermostat housing on the top right of the engine into the block on the lower left of the engine. When purchased mine had a drip from the o ring at the top right into the thermostat housing.

2) Recently the lower seal of that same pipe has started to leak, again its just a o-ring.

The slightly bad news is this is pain in the backside of a job to do, but the parts are not expensive.
Okay, so across your post and Robins post, i should prepare myself for some quite heavy labour hours if they are able to do the job.

Around here they are easily £70ph+. Not sure on this garage as not used before.

Okay, so a very nice and well respected one man band looked at my A2 today.

Incase it might help others.... the coolant leak is coming from a cylinder head coolant plug cover.

It'll be about £350 to replace it. Not sure if that is good or not, but have agreed so she can get back on the road!

Having alternator belt done at the same time (£20). Cambelt, wpump all pretty much new so fine.

Glad youve found the leak! Mine has a leak form the water pump seal, the drips are hidden from the darn undeertrays...sorted now with new belt and pump..

Cheapest and quickest thing to do it replace the expansion tank cap as it could be allowing coolant to vent.
This fixed my AUA venting coolant from the expansion bottle. The only difference I could see between the old and new cap was a few chewed threads on the old cap but it's worked

Happy news story... got my A2 back yesterday. All well and good! Chuffed to have back and running well! No leaks 😀

Attachments

• 20240216_113423.jpg
    20240216_113423.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
Back