1.4TDI Cam Cover/Filler Neck? Leak

garywoods

I've had a small oil leak from the back of the cam cover since replacing my injector harness. I have replaced the gasket and this doesn't seem to have cured it. It would seem to be weeping through between the plastic cover and the head at the back of the engine, but of course it is difficult to see exactly where it is due to the cabin air intake. This results in back of engine covered in oil and now and again an odd spot of oil on the drive. This isn't a significant leak just an annoyance.

I have read in the workshop manuals that on the PD engine there can be leaks from the filler neck cap which make it appear that there is a cam cover gasket leak. It would seem there is a new seal since 2004 for the filler neck. Of course this filler is not used due to our maintenance flap and the fact you cant access it to fill due to the cabin intake but i wondered if it would be worth replacing this too and if anyone else had?

When i had the cam cover off I struggled to manouvre the cover out without removing the cabin intake, eventually managed it. After reading the manual you can actually remove the cabin intake by taking the wiper arm off and removing the plastic cowelling which reveals two screws to drop it down. Im unsure exactly how this cowelling comes off as looks as if it could be glued on all round above the washer jects etc but maybe its just clipped and i didnt want to break it any suggestions? the manual says just remove it... easy. .

This will allow good access to the bolts at the back of the cam cover which are difficult to get at without the intake removed and this maybe the problem that i cant torque the rear bolts up properly, hence leak.

I searched the forum and found a couple of posts on the cam cover blowing etc. but nothing definitive. Any input welcomed.

Gary

I've had a small oil leak from the back of the cam cover since replacing my injector harness. I have replaced the gasket and this doesn't seem to have cured it. It would seem to be weeping through between the plastic cover and the head at the back of the engine, but of course it is difficult to see exactly where it is due to the cabin air intake. This results in back of engine covered in oil and now and again an odd spot of oil on the drive. This isn't a significant leak just an annoyance.

I have read in the workshop manuals that on the PD engine there can be leaks from the filler neck cap which make it appear that there is a cam cover gasket leak. It would seem there is a new seal since 2004 for the filler neck. Of course this filler is not used due to our maintenance flap and the fact you cant access it to fill due to the cabin intake but i wondered if it would be worth replacing this too and if anyone else had?

When i had the cam cover off I struggled to manouvre the cover out without removing the cabin intake, eventually managed it. After reading the manual you can actually remove the cabin intake by taking the wiper arm off and removing the plastic cowelling which reveals two screws to drop it down. Im unsure exactly how this cowelling comes off as looks as if it could be glued on all round above the washer jects etc but maybe its just clipped and i didnt want to break it any suggestions? the manual says just remove it... easy. .

This will allow good access to the bolts at the back of the cam cover which are difficult to get at without the intake removed and this maybe the problem that i cant torque the rear bolts up properly, hence leak.

I searched the forum and found a couple of posts on the cam cover blowing etc. but nothing definitive. Any input welcomed.

Gary

Hi Gary
if you remove the wiper arm then pull the plastic cover off then there is two screws to drop the front of the air intake down then there are four nuts undo the nuts and take it out.
the plastic cover is held in a v shaped grove just pull up gently and tap it in with your hand when you put it back.
it sounds like the gasket is not sitting right between the rocker cover and the head if you still have an oil leek :)

Cheers
Robin

Back