1.6 fsi burning out ignition coils on same cylinder?

victor

hello everyone,

i am new to this so please bear with me. i have had a fault with this car for a couple of months now, so i was wondering if someone may be able to help me? the ignition coil on cylinder 4 burnt out back around may time, so exchanged it and also purchased a spare for just in case. the replacement burnt out within 1500 miles so i swapped it for the spare. i contacted the supplier who exchanged the one that burnt out. the second replacement then burnt out within two weeks, and i had just put the third in on saturday which only lasted two days. could anyone advise me to what may be causing this issue? could these coils be of poor quality, (qx components)? or might there be a greater problem, maybe the ecu?

as i said any assistance would be gratefully received,

regards,

victor

I would be tempted to try a genuine coil pack, probably only about £25 from your local VW TPS.

Hi Victor, welcome to the A2oc
To check if the problem is unique to cylinder 4, try a coil pack, which has been reilable, from another cylinder position and see how long it lasts. Not sure what the problem could be if it burns out but at least you would know its not just the coil packs.
As bdub suggested, try genuine Audi coil packs as the quality will be superior and the price is quite reasonable

Cheers Spike

thank you both for getting back to me.

i got a genuine replacement on tuesday, i also swapped the coils around putting the new one on cylinder three. might have a little trouble trying to get my money back for the qx coils, as they said i should have replaced all four coils? can anyone explain why i should bin the three good coils, seems a bit crazy to me?

thanks again.

I have heard of this on renaults but not on audi's / VW. Was it the dealer that told you that?

The coils packs seem to change part number suffix regularly indicating that they have changed the design in someway. I know there have been many issues with VAG coil pack accross the range.

maybe there are some compatability issues with mixed variants of packs?

cheers

thank you both for getting back to me.

i got a genuine replacement on tuesday, i also swapped the coils around putting the new one on cylinder three. might have a little trouble trying to get my money back for the qx coils, as they said i should have replaced all four coils? can anyone explain why i should bin the three good coils, seems a bit crazy to me?

thanks again.

Hi there why don't you replace all 4 packs that would give you manufacturers warranty.It will rule out any incompatability issues with the remaining packs that could lead to premature failure. Should the issue prove to be isolated to one particular cylinder after changing all 4 it will give you 3 spares which you know to be good.It will also give you a good benchmark to work from while trying to get to the bottom of this

Back