1.6 FSI Sport - Exhaust

ksimpson

As you'll see from another thread, I fitted a replacement spring (with difficulty) on my wife's 1.6 FSI Sport.

Driving it tonight, there was a raspy sound of the engine on high revs. I don't drive the car as often as I'd like, but it did sound different. Should the sport version sound like this or has it the same exhaust as other models?

Hopefully I haven't fixed one problem to discover another. My wife says she didn't notice anthing before I started working on it. I certainly wasn't anywhere near the exhaust or manifold to do any damage.

My wifes 1.6 fsi SE is also raspy at high revs - the fsi isn't renowned for its silky soft smooothness as far as I am aware.

When I was working on the car, I replaced the spring and replaced the ARB bushings. I also sealed a narrow pipe running from the mass air flow meter around to the front of the engine bay. The original seal on the pipe was broken so I sealed it with some tape. I guess it was letting in air where it shouldn't have been. After fixing this, the car seems to be less lumpy when idling.

It's conincidential the the engine now sounds boy racerish above 3,000 RPM. It was never silky smooth, but not this raspy. I'm presuming the Sport models didn't have sports exhausts.

Are there any weakspots on the A2 exhaust that I should check? The car has just passed 40k miles.

Back