1.6 FSi - Uneven Power Delivery?

Lenny007

Afternoon all

Wife has a 1.6 FSI SE and we're experiencing what i could only describe as "on-off" power delivery.

It's almost as if a brake is sticking until about 3K and then it starts to go. Almost VTEC in a way!

We've had a warning light on a couple of months ago which Audi diagnosed as carbon deposits on the valves. We ran it will fuel additive for a couple of tanks (as requested by Audi) and the light has gone out and seems to be running smoother but the problem still persists with the power delivery.

Is it merely a characteristic of the engine or should we be getting this looked at more thoroughly?

Cheers in advance for your replies.

Sorry, forgot to add that we're already using V-Power since the carbon build up.

Seems a bit of a strange power delivery then if it's a characteristic of the engines design....

Hi,

With my FSI - it depends on how I drive it. If I accelerate gradually, I can feel it switching modes - and this is sometimes accompanied by a slight power lag.

However, if I accelerate a little harder - then the power delivery is pretty smooth throughout the rev range. I have simply adjusted my driving style in the A2 to get the best compromise in power delivery and minimising revs & maximising fuel economy.

If you're still unsure, try and find another FSI near you to try (check out the Googlemap at the top of the page).

Presumably the 1.6 FSI engine in the Polo/Golf of a similar age is the same unit - so you'll get similar responses from them.

Ben

Hi,
mines is the same especially when its first started and i have had a few scary moments pulling out at junctions only to find i have a flat spot which lasts a couple of seconds but seems like an eternity as i wait to be hit from behind until the power kicks in.
Don.

Yes, I have the very same problem. Its ok up to temp then that when the fun and games start. Would getting the engine chipped be of any help??? I would consider this if I knew it solved the problem. I was once told by an Audi mechanic that it was the nature of the engine to do this. He didnt tell me this until it had been for 4 coil packs changes etc. :confused:

Slightly off topic maybe, but I have been using 'unleaded' in my 1.6 FSI & noticed exactly the same thing, the problem I have, I live in a town called Brize Norton & our garages (BP, Esso & Total) no Shell within a 15 mile radius that I know of & they only do 97RON which is super plus/unleaded/premium etc, so where on can you get the 98RON that is recommended?

Hi Spike, the Ultimate locator says it does, so I will have another look around the forecourt! Thanks!

I've found that since owning my 1.6 FSi sport I have to give the car a lot more revs than I was used to on other cars I've owned.
At this time of year the big drain on power is the air con, at low revs you feel a massive lag in power, turn the air con to 'econ' and it does improve things around town!

Again, Audi say it's just a characteristic of the engine!

The fabled 'Moo' is the worst thing I find, again a characteristic of the engine....so I'm told!

I understand that the throttle body can suffer from carbon deposits which will also explain some of the hesitancy during acceleration. Throttle bodies can be cleaned, I understand and is not a big job. Anyone with any experience?

Back