1.6 FSI - What’s this pipe? Petrol smell

A2ALI

Hi. Can someone identify what this pipe is please. We’ve recently had a new VAC unit, temp sensor and gaskets. Something to do with stuck flaps!? Anyway after 5 hours labour and £520 later the car now smells of petrol. They said there was a hole in the EGR pipe (original pipe) is that what this is? Someone else has looked and said there is no hole... if I put my finger in the end of that pipe where the nut is, it stinks of petrol, you can immediately smell petrol when you take the bonnet off - and it smells inside the car, mainly in start up and idle. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• B9B0845C-7F73-4441-8750-221836A45C28.jpeg
    B9B0845C-7F73-4441-8750-221836A45C28.jpeg
    736.4 KB · Views: 225
  • 67D5A4B6-6A11-4AA8-81A7-CC588F264922.jpeg
    67D5A4B6-6A11-4AA8-81A7-CC588F264922.jpeg
    681.1 KB · Views: 250
  • D6736556-F85B-4FC6-80D6-615E457EA9B8.jpeg
    D6736556-F85B-4FC6-80D6-615E457EA9B8.jpeg
    807.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 6D54F0C6-E66E-425B-B91D-69296C444BF3.jpeg
    6D54F0C6-E66E-425B-B91D-69296C444BF3.jpeg
    674.9 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
That’s the main fuel line into the high pressure fuel pump.

The pipe with mesh over it in the second photo is the EGR pipe. I have a good replacement if you wish to purchase one

I’d a agree that rubber petrol hose has had it and needs replacing.
Of course any petrol smell on a modern car is a major concern for fire risk and especially the fsi given the potential for leaks in the high pressure injection system.
I’m surprised the garage that did the flaps work did not insist it was replaced. If the inside is breaking up too then it will be shedding rubber bits into the HP pump and then the injectors, which would block the little filter baskets in their inlets or lead to other injector trouble.
The reason it is leaking at the union is probably that in removing and replacing this hose in its fragile hardened condition, it now is incapable of sealing no matter how tight the clip.
Good luck,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Would the garage have had to take that pipe off to do the work they did. Trying to figure out if it’s something they have caused - or just another issue with my ageing car... :(

I emailed the garage about the pipe and sent the images... they are confident they wouldn't have had to remove it to do the work on the manifold... however they are going to replace it free of charge... I'm assuming its not an expensive part or labour intensive... but a good outcome.

Cheap part and easily replaced, so no biggy really. Mine sprung a leak earlier this year and it was like sitting in a petrol tank in the car, took a few minutes to replace with new petrol piping...all is good now. When you think that those pipes have probably been on the car for upwards of 15years, they are going to deteriorate at some point.

The dreaded ethanol (E10) in Premium UL is the final killer.
Mac.
That reminds me @A2ALI, from you first comment it looks like you have had some running problems with your FSI, are you aware that you should run it on premium fuel?
Edit, I mean 98-99 octane.

Last edited:
Do you mean because of the new VAC unit (stuck valves) I've owned the car for probably 9 years now and I think only used premium fuel a handful of times. I've stuck to branded fuel and avoided supermarket 99% of the time. Should it really be filled with premium all the time?

Not "Premium" premium is actually only 95 octane. The FSI requires Super Unleaded, 98 or 99 octane. Suggest Shell V Power, which is 99 octane, and has clever detergent additives.
The word Premium is a con, as there's nothing premium about it!
Should be called "ordinaire" but "premium" sounds so much better!

Mac.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth: The fuel in an fsi is directly injected into the cylinders. It doesn’t go past the 4 swirl flap valves in the intake manifold nor the 8 intake valves in the cylinder head, so fuel “quality” has nothing whatsoever to do with how quickly the well known intake issues occur.
The reason the issues occur is because of the combined effects of crankcase fume recirculation and exhaust gas recirculation.
The FSI owners manual says 95 RON can be used and results in reduced power. I don’t know of any other genuine proven downside but would be interested if there is one as I’m currently running my project FSI on Shell 99 RON, 1000 miles covered now.
All the best,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reduction in power, that results from using 95 octane in an engine designed for 98/99, is down to the ecu detecting "pinking" or "knocking" (where the fuel/air mixture doesn't burn at the point the engine designer intended) and varying the point at which the spark occurs to prevent it, so reducing the power produced.
Seems to me, that having a high performance engine, and deliberately de-tuning it, (with 95 octane), is not a sensible thing to do.
The detergents in modern branded fuels are designed to reduce carbon, and other residue build up in the engine. I believe they do that. While the flaps are not exposed to the incoming fuel, an engine that burns cleanly (a combination of fuel, additives and efficient combustion) will suffer less from the build up of various nasties (including recirculated crud) than an engine that doesn't burn cleanly.
I'll stick with Shell V Power. The additional cost is quite a small percentage of the total cost of ownership after all.
Both 95 and 98/99 octane are good quality fuels, the difference is not in quality, 95 is fine in an engine (virtually all these days) that's designed for it, and using 98/99 octane in such an engine would be a waste of money.
Wizzy additives are separate from octane, and branded 95 (and diesel) with additives is (in my opinion) superior to unbranded without.
EN228, the BS standard for petrol (and it's diesel equivalent) that all fuels must meet, does not specify such additives. So, unbranded fuels, sold at lower cost, will not have those expensive (to develop and make) additives. The choice is yours, of course, but make sure that choice is informed.

Mac.

Do you mean because of the new VAC unit (stuck valves) I've owned the car for probably 9 years now and I think only used premium fuel a handful of times. I've stuck to branded fuel and avoided supermarket 99% of the time. Should it really be filled with premium all the time?
Correct, sorry my wording may of been confusing, I’m used to branded and premium being different (in my mind) but yes for your car many owners on here insist on Super Unleaded of 98 or 99 octane, including Tesco Momentum.

By "branded" I mean major oil Co (Shell, BP etc, not supermarket or cut price).
By "premium" I mean 95 octane E10.
By "super unleaded" I mean 98/99 octane, E5.
Mac.

So, unbranded fuels, sold at lower cost, will not have those expensive (to develop and make) additives. The choice is yours, of course, but make sure that choice is informed.

There are six major and one minor refineries in the UK; of these only one is owned by a known brand - ExxonMobil at Fawley. But do you imagine that an Exxon petrol station in Scotland is supplied by Fawley? No, any petrol station will be be most likely supplied by the nearest refinery. Any special additive would have to be added at the refinery but that would mean that every customer of the refinery with a special blend would have to have their own storage tanks. How likely is that? For "wizzy additives" read "marketing" I suspect!

RAB

Back