1.6FSi cat problems

ade29

I have had a few problems over coming month, temperature gauge keeps going up and down, wooing noise when putting foot on pedal, + now I have a rattle sound coming from cat underneath,

any answers would be great
:(

just be quoted 486.00 to replace just the cat, this sound a bit harsh

my 1.6 had a new cat put on just prior to me purchasing the car. the bill was £402 plus vat for the part, so i'm afraid it sounds about right. you should get some money back for the old one.

I have had a few problems over coming month, temperature gauge keeps going up and down, wooing noise when putting foot on pedal, + now I have a rattle sound coming from cat underneath,

any answers would be great
:(

just be quoted 486.00 to replace just the cat, this sound a bit harsh

The temp gauge problem is probably due to a faulty sender - see link
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3208&highlight=sender+gauge

On diesels the 'mooing' noise is usually caused by the egr valve but to my knowlege its not been an issue on petrol cars (think they do but better check they actually have egr) Update - 1.4 petrol engines AND the 1.6 FSI all have EGR.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
hi ade29 i recently had the orange engine manegment light on, so i had it scaned and it reported that the first cat had failed. this is the cheeper one at £300. this first cat has sensors it it so hence when it fails you get the error code. the second cat on my car had developed a nasty rattle when the car was hot. so i had that changed aswell and this one on my car 03my has the dearer of the two listed for the fsi at £420. so all in all not cheap. i was recomended by my independent service guy to change them with genuine audi parts for long life. i'm sure others have used pattern parts with no problems but i do high miles and dont plan on selling my car for many years.
as for the mooing noise i cant help-sounds like you have a didgy thermostat or temp sender as others have said.
good luck mike

Does that mean that the diagnosis and £'s I have just been quoted for the replacement of a split EGR pipe on my 1.6 FSI is rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????? (2 garages same opinion)

Last edited:
Does that mean that the diagnosis and £'s I have just been quoted for the replacement of a split EGR pipe on my 1.6 FSI is rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????? (2 garages same opinion)

No - its me that was wrong. The 1.6 FSI does have EGR but the service and parts data does not make it easy to find.

Cheers Spike

Back