1st Car audio comp of 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

EF MAX

Well guys, its off to Doncaster this weekend for the first of the UK Sound Off competitions.

I am in the Ultimate Pro divison and I can't wait.

The car is about as perfect as I am ever likely to get it and it is sounding sweet. I have spent ages tweaking the system to get as close to a concert hall performance as I can.

Just hope the judges think so. I know that there is another two nice Audi's an A4 and an A3 floating around as well.

All the best! Bring back an award for the A2!

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Your car is already an absolute winner our book ;) !

Bring back prizes and some inspirational pictures...

Good luck Erskine!

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Heavy weekend.

It rained like crazy on Sunday.

Okay, I did well, well at least I thought so. Got just shy of the magic 400 points but although this would have been a good third place in the Ultimate Pro Xtreme class, was not good enough to get me a placing in the Ultimate Pro class.

Points break down – max score – 525
• SQ – 277
• Install – 195
• RTA – 40
• Membership – 10
• Alarm features - 3

My install was good, I got a 183pts out 195pts
RTA needs attention, got 31 out 40, too much previous tweaking.

SQ was hit hard because of various issues, some were to do with judge’s preference some were to do with tweakable issues.

I enjoyed the day, met a few new faces and a vowed to go back next time and get a prize for the A2.

The system still sounds sweet but it is going to sound better.

How was the A2 received, or is everyones eyes on the sound system only?

And well done!

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

In my past life, I worked as a Bass Box Designer, so from my website, www.efmax.info many people have already seen the little Audi. They also know that I know a thing or two about bass.

The A2’s reception is always good, it is different and it is a fun car, so respect is always forthcoming.

To put things into some sort of shape, my score this year was higher than the 1st place last year [for the same division]. Others are already saying well done as it was an excellent score for a first time effort.

It is going to get better, I WILL get myself a higher score, a better placement and a trophy.

So what do those letters mean.

• Ultimate Pro Xtreme Class, this is the highest class, it is usually reserved for the big car Audio shop installs,, sort of money no object league.
Here are the seven classes.
o Rookie, Street Smart, Street Pro, Street X, Ultra SQi, Ultra Pro, Ultra X
• [ME] Ultimate Pro Class, next stage down, only 20 points difference and that is all on the cosmetic side of the installs,, money helps here.
• SQ – Sound Quality
• Install – The physical installation of all of your audio gear
• RTA – Real Time Analyser. This device measures the frequency response of your car audio system, it can also measure how loud it is.

Hope this helps.

Thanks EF, well done anyway, especially considering last years scores. And nice to see that this inspires you to improve even further.

Last week I did a (very unprofessional) 'Real Time Analysis' of my own setup. My main aim was to compare the curve with the one I got from my own home-install with my Vifa Carats.

I used my laptop, a very bad mic (included with my PC soundcard) and TrueRTA. No absolute measurement, so just for 'shape' comparison.

I ran a full sweep through both systems and found out what I was fearing: my car setup has a really really 'unsmooth' response! Lots of dips (and the opposite) through the frequency range... And of course no way to smooth it out with the 7 band equalizer of my own head-unit.

See it here:

Home:
Carat_thmb.gif

Versus my A2, Eq set to flat:
A2_thmb.gif

You and your competition friends would keep rolling on the floor, laughing ;)
Money, time and expertise can bring some nice things!

CU,

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

The thing is, now you are aware of what is going on . I bet you start making small but useful changes.

The A2, based on mine, has the ability to produce a smooth curve, it does take a bit of effort but it can do so a bit easier than other cars that I have previously owned.

Thanks for the kind words, yep, last year score in my division would have given me a wining place.

The good news is that I got 183/195 for my install, I know that I can get those other 12 points because the judge told me where I lost them, and they were really silly things that I should have sorted before hand.

This weekend will see a major wiring overall for me as I want that sound spot on.

Thanks for the explanation - basically I can now understand that the "boy done good!!!!!!" And by the sounds of it, your going to do even better.

Kaine

Seems like I came 4th. All the points that were brought to my attention are being addressed as we speak, bring on the next round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back